Fostex RP for portable use
Feb 20, 2011 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dorkvader

100+ Head-Fier
Right, so I'm pretty curious about How the Fostex RP-series headphones will fare as a portable.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/RP-Series.shtml

Really, I'm asking about their durability: I want something that I won't worry about breaking. I'll probably keep them in the ubiquitous, yet antiquated cd player pocket in my backpack when they're not on my head. Also, I don't want to lug my AD-900s or my SR-225i's with me when I go visit my parents. I want something that's good, and durable enough for this, that I won't have to worry about breaking. I'm looking into the T50RP's in particular.

Also, I figure with the low cost of entry, It'd probably by cool to try these out. I imagine that one day I'll mod them into a pair of thunderpants.

I'm told that they used to be pretty terrible at bass, but are better now (what with the updated pads and all) Either way, it doesn't bother me, because I listen to bass-light headphones like the AD-900 and enjoy them fully anyway.

I know they are low impedance/low sensitivity headphones, which mean they'll probably need a buffer to drive properly. If i have a problem, I'll build an a-47 or something, but I don't imagine this will be a problem with my cowon D2

I listen to a lot of rock, classic rock, metal, etc. Bands included on my .MP3 player in no particular order are:

Queen
Blind Guardian
Vanden Plas
Triumph
Wintersun
Ben Folds
All that Remains
Cage the Elephant
The Moody Blues
Lacuna Coil
Clutch.

I will probably buy these sometime anyway, I'm trying to gauge whether or not I want them now, or later. Will they be able to fulfill this need? Will these stand up to light abuse? Will they work out well enough with my musical tastes? Is there another, perhaps better, headphone that would work out better for me?

I post this in the portable section because I'll be using them portably, even though i understand they are pretty large. I'm not rough on my headphones, but I don't expect to baby these like I do my AD-900s either. Any advice would be appreciated.

Finally, I'm willing to wait until they're back in stock everywhere after everyone apparently sold out recently. Know any good places to get them once they're back in stock? Why is amazon missing them? I was hoping to use my student amazon prime to get some free shipping.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: website added

Feb 20, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 5
They're pretty tough looking to me, but I haven't had mine for very long.

They'll need some sort of high current amp to get the best sound out of them, but I don't think they need anything monstrous.  They actually sound pretty decent out my D2+ as well.

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 5
They looked pretty solid on the website. I suppose critical points look like:
1. the pads (might they fall off or tear?)
2. the cable entry (if this breaks, I'll just recable/hardwire them, though)
3. the cup ->headband attachment rods (sure they look stable, but are they that way in real life?)

Thanks for your input!

Edit: Of course by "website" I mean:
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/RP-Series.shtml

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 5
The pads will be fine until you take them off and put them back on a few dozens times changing your damping schemes.  When they don't stay on by themselves anymore, electrical tape works fine.

The cable plugs in so its easy to replace if it breaks.  You'll probably want to make a separate cable for portable use since it has 1/4" plug and is like 9' long.  The socket is recessed though so many plugs won't fit unless you replace the jack.

The rods are some kind of metal and all the attachments seem solid to me.

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah, I built an adapter, so I could listen to my music through my computer (with all my 1/4 inch TRS headphones), so I don't expect that to be an issue. Though given my propinsity for modding, I can only imagine that it will be a short time before I do just that and reterminate the cable, especially if it is almost 3m in length.

I think I will wait for more people to chime in, but at this point, I'm pretty set on getting them next. I'll just have to wait for them to be available again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back