Fostex HP-P1 Portable DAC for iPhone, iPod and iPad (With Built-In Headphone Amp) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 011
Sep 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #31 of 129

Quote:
I am using Fostex HP-P1 + SR71A + LCD2 Rev 1 as my office rig now. The previous combo I use, the CLAS + Meier Stepdance (15V regulated)) + LCD Rev 1, was very good - so I thought - until I tried out the HP-P1 combo. In comparison, the CLAS combo sounded so clean that it was almost a bit clinical to me, and it was not how the LCD2 Rev 1 is supposed to sound. Now with the HP-P1 / SR71A combo, all the creaminess of the Rev 1 came back alive. I will also do a critical comparison between the HP-P1/SR71A combo and the HP-P1 itself (using its own amp section under mid / high gain). I will also have to do some critical listening to spell out the difference between Filter 1 and Filter 2 which I think Jude did not mention about. 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.  I am playing around with the same setup but pretty much listening with DT1350's, since they are now my primary travel phones.  There are some very distinct differences between the SR71-A and the HP P-1's internal amp.  Not necessarily better or worse, but different flavors to be sure.  Having options is a wonderful thing. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #32 of 129
yeah, it looks so ridiculous walking around with your headphone cable coming out of your coat pocket or manbag, i got news for you, other people, they dont think about you at all

nice review Jude, pretty much what i thought re the fostex, pity, looks like i'm stuck with my rig as it is, it is sexy though

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #33 of 129
So this only works with iStuff and not as a general USB DAC which can be connected to a computer?  

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #34 of 129
Hmm, may consider swapping my hifiman setup for this if I prefer the sound sig after trying it with my UERMs.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #36 of 129
Sep 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #39 of 129
i want share my personal impression woth Fostex Hp 1

I have Fostex Hp 1 since 1 month a go. i am very happy with my Fostex Hp 1

The Dac part is very good, very detail sound, sweet sounding MID and very fine High and Bass

The Amp site for portable use is good also, specially for Westone 3 / UM 3 X RC and JH 11

If you want the better set up for Portable Rig, what i have now is :

Fostex Hp1 as DAC and Ipad 2 / Iphone 4 as Source woth WAV File and Stepdance 1 / RS 71 B as Portable Amp

This RIG can drive LCD 2 Rev 2, HD 800 and T 1 in very good sound 

Cheers

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #40 of 129
Sep 7, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #41 of 129
yep, thats why i'm avoiding it, i just want someone to come out with a digital transport for idevices, no dac, no amp, just pulling the signal out, perhaps reclocking it and sending it on its way again. manufacturers are unlikely to ever release something with a dac/amp section that rivals what i have diyed, as i didnt have budget or size restrictions, i currently use iriver for digital out, but i would like being able to use my iphone and ipad for the added functionality and better interface.

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #43 of 129
Before I have owned Alo Solo Class and I returned back because not supported my iPhone 4 , during I listened music , there was sound clipping tek tek tek.
I turn off my iPhone and solo class , but the sound clipping still there .

The problem is the same with my fostex hp 1, but I can resolve the problem, I turn off my iPhone 4 dan also foster hp 1 , after 1 minute I turn on again and the sound clipping tek tek tek is gone.

I hope can help fostex hp1 owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back