Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Feb 15, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #1,231 of 1,448
You could buy my Case and Custom cable! :) haha.

I did a comparision between the Fostex and Hifi-M8 either in this thread or the Hifi-m8 thread.

I`ll try to find it.

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #1,232 of 1,448
August 2013 post>

Hifi-M8 and Fostex hp_p1.
Using ipod Touch 4G.

The difference is moar p`wer!  Better clarity, balance!!, soundstage, neutrality, dynamics.

Hifi-M8 on 1ohm setting with low gain = Fostex hp_p1 high gain filter 2.

Hifi-M8 on 1ohm setting with low gain and treble +1 = Fostex hp_p1 high gain filter 1.

So are they comparable? well yes and no.
Yes in that one can re-create the Fostex signature using the Hifi-M8 as above, but no when one starts to play with the ohm settings, bass and treble switches and add more gain.

Hifi-M8 = More clarity, options, balance and soundstage = Hifi-M8.

Update Feb 2014.
.Fostex hp_p1 is a great piece of gear, but the Hifi-M8 does beat it, significantly? Well at this stage of the game its incremental rather than leaps and bounds.

My testing was also flawed as at the time the community had the ohm on the switches back to front (should be 11,2,1), I originally tested with the Hifi-m8 set at 11ohms trying to match the Fostex 10ohms headphone output, but actually had the Hifi-m8 set at 1ohms! (I have edited the above to reflect this).

I would like to have compared them with my Touch 5G.

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #1,233 of 1,448
The Hi-Fi M8 has always had the intention of being used in the professional environment, to the best of my knowledge. The HP-P1 has never had this goal. So neutrality/balance can be thrown out. Would any buy a HP-P1 to use professionally?

Meanwhile, somebody could pair the HP-V1 (if anybody has one) to the HP-P1 and pass impressions here. Would be appreciated.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,234 of 1,448
The best synergy for upgrade Fostex HP P1

Source : iPhone 4s
Music File : WAV
Dac / Amp : Fostex HP P1 use as DAC through Line Out
Amp : Ko Jo KM 01 Tsugaru Edition
Iem : Earsonic SM 64 v1. 112 Ohm version

High : more life with better clarity and detail
Mid : sweet and intimate sound and better pronounce how the Sanger sing very clear
Bass : better bass than direct with Fostex HP P1, more clean and better detail
Separation : Better than direct with Fostex HP P1 , that you can detect individual more accurate
Soundstage : about the same level , because Fostex HP P1 is strong in wide soundstage and with Ko Jo KM 01 Tsugaru
Has better depth

Music genre : sound best with this set up are Jazz , Audiophile West and Mandarin , Slow rock , Classical music
Not so good fior electronic and hard rock

Conclusion : sound quality so intimate that you never get Boring , the whole night Hera music with this set up
You can listen for many hours never get fatigue In your ears
I never heard my SM 64 v1 so good like to nite , like iem 1000 USD

Note : for all Fostex HP P1 please don't sell yours , it is one of the best. dac amp for iDevjce on the market
The sound quality is classic , never get boring you can add very good amp to get different SQ

IMO

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,235 of 1,448
Note : for all Fostex HP P1 please don't sell yours , it is one of the best. dac amp for iDevjce on the market
The sound quality is classic , never get boring you can add very good amp to get different SQ

Yup. This is why I still have mine. It's a great piece of kit on its own but it's also a VERY good DAC that matches exceedingly well with a number of different amplifiers.
It represents some of the best bang for the buck in portable audio IMHO.

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,236 of 1,448
Theres the rub though, The caveat is that to truly shine the Fostex needs an exterior amp (which is why Fostex has released a buddy amp for the hpp1).

Also the reports of imbalance is off putting, mine had slighter louder sounder on the right side.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #1,237 of 1,448
  Theres the rub though, The caveat is that to truly shine the Fostex needs an exterior amp (which is why Fostex has released a buddy amp for the hpp1).

Also the reports of imbalance is off putting, mine had slighter louder sounder on the right side.

I actually disagree. I find the HP-P1 to have an excellent onboard amplifier. It's an added bonus that the DAC and line-out allow for the additional benefit of being able to pair with other amplifiers.

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #1,240 of 1,448
I've had the HP-P1 for over a year now with ipod touch 5G (64GB) using AAC files and listening through with Westone 4R & UM3XRC, the sound improved drastically and I could hear things I never heard before in music. Also I have the Accudio app installed.

Also this set up is pretty big (height-wise) and adding another one into the mix may be desirable for some but is out of box for me.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,243 of 1,448
Back on the case issue... :)
Anyone know a good case just for transport.
To carry the HP-P1 on my backpack to and from the office?
I am thinking about an HDD case, something like this:

Anyone know if the HP-P1 fits a 2.5 hdd case?
Any sugestions?

Thanks.
Cheers!

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #1,244 of 1,448
I use a small fanny pack and keep all my possible connectivity cables in it. I can also throw in my HD25's or DT1350's for a complete portable rig.

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,245 of 1,448
To answer my own question... :)
Just pick up today an unbranded carry case for a 6 inch GPS device. The cost was just 2.5 euros and I really like the fit! It looks like it was made for the HP-P1.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back