Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Aug 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,186 of 1,448
Its been a good run but I finally sold my Fostex today.

I recently bought the Hifi-m8 and i am a one device at a time kinda person.

The Fostex hp_p1 is still a great piece of gear.

Hi. I've been reading your evangelical postings on the HP-P1 and now the newly acquired M8. I'd like to buy one of them for use with HD650, LCD2 and mainly for rock, blues. In your opinion which would you recommend and why? And cheeky question, any regrets you didn't keep the HP-P1 and have both? We all need a left hand and a right hand so to speak. Thanks.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #1,187 of 1,448
Ah, i have a (generally) one of everything policy.
Saves me having to decide which to use :wink:

The Fostex is great, cant fault it for what it is.
It produces great sound and is quite portable.

If you want to power those headphones of yours the Hifi-M8 is the one to buy. It has the power needed.
Remember there are 8 different hifi-m8 configurations to choose from, so choose wisely:wink:

*I would have liked to have kept the Fostex but want to reduce house hold clutter.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #1,188 of 1,448
If you want to power those headphones of yours the Hifi-M8 is the one to buy. It has the power needed.
Remember there are 8 different hifi-m8 configurations to choose from, so choose wisely:wink:

*I would have liked to have kept the Fostex but want to reduce house hold clutter.[/quote]

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #1,189 of 1,448
Oops. Pressed too soon

I love clutter but it probably makes more sense to go with the younger blonde.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #1,190 of 1,448
Quote:
Ah, i have a (generally) one of everything policy.
Saves me having to decide which to use
wink.gif

The Fostex is great, cant fault it for what it is.
It produces great sound and is quite portable.

*I would have liked to have kept the Fostex but want to reduce house hold clutter.

HP-P1 doesn't have an all rounder amp like the HiFiM8. I would very much like to have a HiFiM8 for my DT1350 monitors, with the tone shaping and no overall power concerns, I think it would be excellent synergy. Only for T5p, I think the HP-P1 will remain ahead in both amp and DAC, I would not like any sort of tone shaping for those headphones, it must come strictly from the qualities of the electronics. 

I'll holding off from ordering any amps until the HP-PV has settled into existence.

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #1,191 of 1,448
Selling (or trading) my made for hpp1 QUSP custom piccolino usb lod.
*Also throw in the case as seen below.

PM me.

-I will add it to the for sale section eventually.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #1,193 of 1,448
I'm right there with you. All the new toys that have come out and I am still loving the HP-P1!

beerchug.gif

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #1,194 of 1,448

I'm still very proud of my HP P1. Playing 24bit FLAC on Onkyo HF makes a whole new experience! C'mon Fostex! Bring us fully balance HP P2!

Can you listen to "bit perfect" 24-bit files higher than 48kHz using the Onkyo HF program while being output to the HP-P1 (i.e. does the HP-P1 support higher sample rates up to 24/96 or 24/192 if the Onkyo HF program can and/or is outputting the files bit-perfect?)

FLAC Player doesn't seem to do it, or downsamples any 24/96 and 24/192 files to 48kHz before being sent out to the HP-P1, but I don't know if that has changed w/ the new iOS7. Still, I dunno... my old iPhone 3GS only supports up to the most recent version of iOS6 (latest ver. before the transition to iOS7 for iPhone 4 models and up.) Thus I'm not sure if I should purchase that "HD Pack" for the Onkyo HF app or not, and just continue to use FLAC Player for now.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,195 of 1,448
I don't think Apple allow 24bits playback. Beside HP
P1 can only support up to 16bits input. But some says in the CCK forum they able to passthrough bit perfect with the Onkyo HF player.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,197 of 1,448
I just picked up a Fostex HP-P1 second hand and it turns out the craphead I bought it from sent me a defective unit or a defective battery and says tough luck, it must've been the shipping.

I get about a song in and then it starts cutting out and the charge symbol flashes intermittently and the music stops.  If I turn the HP-P1 off and back on I get a bit of a "reset" but then it starts again.

I thought it was isolated to my iphone 4 which starts vibrating but now it's happening on my ipod classic.

Is there a fix, is this an HP-P1 issue or is this a particular problem when the battery runs low?

Oddly, it seems to work with the ipod if it's plugged in all the time but not with the iphone4.  With the latter it causes the screen to act erratically and then the little light that shows the connection goes out.

ps.. i tried a different lod as well

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #1,199 of 1,448
I did that and even did the 2 stage version to reboot.  No luck.  Plus it's not just on the iphone.  The iphone is definitely worse than the ipod but at least the ipod works when the hpp1 is attached to power.  Maybe an external battery would solve the issue but I'm still pissed.
The guy is on this site but I bought it on another site..

I am guessing it's a battery issue or a connection to the battery.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #1,200 of 1,448
Fostex has great customer service. Drop them a note with the symptoms and see what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back