Fostex HP-A7 Amp/DAC
Mar 8, 2010 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

PianoForte

Head-Fier
Does anyone have any information about the Fostex Hp-A7? I posted a truncated version of this in the source forum because it also contains a DAC, but it has an amp, which is why I post this more elaborate version here.

a7_big-600x397.jpg

a7_rear_big-600x280.jpg

"
FOSTEX New Headphone Amplifier 32bit DAC HP-A7

HP-A7 has various digital input 32bit DAC and high quality headphone amplifier.
It also works as pre-amplifier supplying USB, OPTICAL, COAXIAL, ANALOG inputs.
HP-A7 does not use volume circuit, but direct out system.
Discrete headphone amplifier by TO-220 package big capacity transistor.
HP-A7 mounts 2 headphone output which is different type gain, adopting each impedance.
Adopt high quality 32bit DAC AKM AK4392
Low jitter designed L/R individual DAC power
DC detecting high performance headphone protection system
HP-A7 adopts high quality analog parts, Linear Technology Corporation high performance high through rate OP amplifier, Fostex original customized NICHIKON condenser, TAKMAN ELECTRONICS Precision metal film resistor, Panasonic PPS film condenser and WIMA film condenser.
Pure brass bases and tungsten compound washer suppress vibration."

"Input (USB) Terminal
Sampling Frequency: Maximum 24bit/96kHz
Interface: USB full speed
Input (DIGITAL INPUT-OPTICAL)1,2
Connector: Square type OPTICAL
Format: S/PDIF(32kHz~96kHz)
Input (DIGITAL INPUT-COAXIAL)
Connector: RCA pin jack
Format: S/PDIF(32kHz~192kHz)
Input (ANALOG INPUT)L/R
Output (PHONOES)1,2
Connector: Stereo standard jack
Sensitive: PHONES 1: Low gain / PHONES 2: Normal gain
Maximum Output: 700mW(32 ohms)
Rated Load Impedance : 16~600 ohms
THD: 0.002% or less (1kHz/32 ohms/1Vrms)
Frequency Response: 10Hz~150kHz (± 3dB)
Output (ANALOG)L/R
Rated Load Impedance: 10k ohms or more
THD: 0.002% or less
Frequency Response: 10Hz~80kHz (± 3dB/192kHz)
Output (DIGITAL OUTPUT)
Connector: Square type OPTICAL
Format: S/PDIF(32kHz~96kHz)
Power
DC 15 V
Power100V/ 50,60Hz
Power consumption15W
Dimensions194(W) x 44(H) x 230(D) mm
Weight450g
"

I'm looking for a new source (currently have total bithead) and if this is good, it would be convenient to purchase it since I live in Japan, since many if not most components are expensive to ship from the U.S. Opinions, please!

Headphonia information"ette" -http://www.headfonia.com/news/fostex-hp-a7-and-hp-a3-32bit-dacs/
Japanese review: Phileweb Fostex HP-A7 Review

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 19
Any further thoughts on the HP-A7?  I realize it's only available in Japan, if I understand correctly.  I'm in Tokyo through the summer, and have seen them displayed.  I've read good things about the A3 and A8, but the latter is a bit of a reach for me.  Would love to settle on the A7, but find very little about it in English.  I'm sifting through the Japanese reviews, but would appreciate opinions from this community.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 19
It will be hard to compare the 3, mainly because the A7 is not available to the rest of the world and the A8 don't seem to have many adopters here (or they remain silent).

I have the A3. For the price, it's a tremendous value (got it for 330€ IIRC). Though different in voicing, I couldn't really tell which of this or the NFB-3.1 was the better DAC.
The bonus: it also has a very capable amp, on par with the m-stage (though, again, different in voicing).

To my ears, the HP-A3 is the perfect neutrality which pairs well with anything and is faithful to the recording. Very transparent sounding!

Edit: it also has a very nice drive capacity. It drives the HE-500 very nicely (and very loud, @ 12:00 it's much louder than what I need). It's just perfect for the Mad Dogs (and any T50Rp variant, which it might have been designed for anyway).

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
It will be hard to compare the 3, mainly because the A7 is not available to the rest of the world and the A8 don't seem to have many adopters here (or they remain silent).

I have the A3. For the price, it's a tremendous value (got it for 330€ IIRC). Though different in voicing, I couldn't really tell which of this or the NFB-3.1 was the better DAC.
The bonus: it also has a very capable amp, on par with the m-stage (though, again, different in voicing).

To my ears, the HP-A3 is the perfect neutrality which pairs well with anything and is faithful to the recording. Very transparent sounding!

Edit: it also has a very nice drive capacity. It drives the HE-500 very nicely (and very loud, @ 12:00 it's much louder than what I need). It's just perfect for the Mad Dogs (and any T50Rp variant, which it might have been designed for anyway).

Cemmaster, thanks so much.  At the moment I'm looking for something to drive my HE-400s, but also hoping to add more mid- to higher end phones, considering the Shure 1840.  Would be relieved to cap my budget at the A3 for now, but given the cost of these abroad, I can get good prices all the way up to the A8, so I don't want to miss out on a good opportunity with the A7 or A8. Thanks for your thoughts--I will try to audition the A3, which is reasonably priced here as well, in Tokyo.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 19
Took the plunge and purchased the HP-A7 in Tokyo, got a good price, and really liked the auditions I had with it in the store.  (The HP-A8 has bumped the A& down a notch in price and in attention, so the deals are pretty good.)  Burning it in now, and really happy with what I'm hearing so far.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
Took the plunge and purchased the HP-A7 in Tokyo, got a good price, and really liked the auditions I had with it in the store.  (The HP-A8 has bumped the A& down a notch in price and in attention, so the deals are pretty good.)  Burning it in now, and really happy with what I'm hearing so far.

Do you mind sharing the price?

The A8 is still 2x the price of the A7 ($980,00 on eBay) and they don't look that much different (except the use of the newer AKM4399 and USB class 2 input).

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 19
The price of the A7 at Yodobashi in Akihabara (Tokyo) is 53,500 yen.  You can also eliminate the points the offer and take another 10% off the price.  The A8 is selling there for 95,000 yen.  Both are much better prices than the eBay prices in US dollars.

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
The A7 sounds really nice, very smooth and clear.  Am looking to add some new phones.  It seems they pair well with Sennheisers.

You nailed it!

Quote:
The price of the A7 at Yodobashi in Akihabara (Tokyo) is 53,500 yen.  You can also eliminate the points the offer and take another 10% off the price.  The A8 is selling there for 95,000 yen.  Both are much better prices than the eBay prices in US dollars.

What! The HP-A8 is almost 1800€ in Europe when you can find it at 750€ (ex VAT) overseas...

Do they give you money for getting the HP-A3? 
beyersmile.png

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

You nailed it!

What! The HP-A8 is almost 1800€ in Europe when you can find it at 750€ (ex VAT) overseas...

beyersmile.png

Yodobashi has a points-rewards system that gives you 10% of each purchase toward another purchase.  It adds up pretty quickly if you do your shopping there.  They sell everything from electronics to suitcases, bicycles, and musical instruments.  Their prices on headphones are interesting.  For example, the Shure 1840s are about US$150.00 cheaper than in the US, while the same priced Hifiman HE-500 are about US$200.00 more expensive.  But I've been taking advantage of the points system while here. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

You nailed it!

beyersmile.png

If you think these are good prices check out the prices on pricejapan.com: HP-A8: Item’s price           YEN           79,980...

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

If you think these are good prices check out the prices on pricejapan.com: HP-A8: Item’s price           YEN           79,980...

Thanks for the site, good to know.  Keep in mind that Yodobashi offers the option of paying their listed price and receiving 10% store credit, or subtracting another 10% from the price.  Still, good to have this resource, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back