Forthcoming High End Amp/Preamp Combos? (Similar to WA2 or RSA Apache?)
Jul 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tvolpe1600

100+ Head-Fier
I've decided to make a move on a high end headphone amp and preamp combo, for a number of reasons. The combo makes it easier to justify a price tag of 1-3K for a unit that forms the bedrock of a full system. I am trying to decide between a WA2 and Ray Samuels Audio "The Apache". The Little Dot MKIII is also an interesting option, but I prefer products made in the USA or Europe.

My question: Are there any recent or forthcoming high end HPA/Preamp combos out there on the market that I've missed?

I ask because Ray introduced the Apache sometime in 2007, though he has upgraded the OpAmps since. I'm not sure when Woo put out the WA2. Maybe this sounds silly given the 'classic' nature of products at this price range, but if I plunk down 3 grand on a new Apache, I want to have a cutting edge product that will last for decades.

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi! I've been looking for exactly the same answer to the question posed by tvolpe1600 at the start of this thread, so I thought I'd add my voice to the thread.

I currently have my heart set on an RSA Apache as it fulfills all my needs, but I still need to raise more funds before I can order one - especially considering the UK tax and customs charges!! So, if anyone knows of an equally fine-sounding product with practically all the same features - but at a significantly lower price(!) - I too would very much like to hear about it -or them- please!! 
beerchug.gif

Edit: I am equally interested to hear of any similar pre/head-amp combos in the same price range as the Apache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back