Former Bose User - Need a Recommendation!
Jul 25, 2011 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

awetcleaner

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

After a good 5-year run with my Bose QuietComfort2 headphones, an x-mas gift, they seem to have finally died for good. Nothing happens when I try to turn the power on on the side, and they were pretty beat up already (one side held together with electrical tape). I am thinking now would be a fine time to purchase a new pair.

I've been referred here, and I noticed that the consensus seems to be that as a brand Bose is overpriced.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest a good pair to buy?

I am looking for relatively discreet (i.e. not any more conspicuous than QuietComfort2), somewhat versatile phones (rock and abstract music, general use on laptop, movie editing, etc). I really did enjoy the noise-canceling feature - I can't count the number of times over the years that's helped me tolerate a difficult situation (would be a nice bonus if I could fall asleep in the phones without destroying them).

Price range is flexible. I'm certainly willing to pay for quality, but don't want to go overboard considering I am a 'general' user. I'd like at least the same quality as the QC2s.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Jeff

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 7
How luch you paid for them?. Set up a maxim price for the reccomendation.

P.s your battery probably died thats why the phones dont respond. You could replace it i guess

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
How luch you paid for them?. Set up a maxim price for the reccomendation.

P.s your battery probably died thats why the phones dont respond. You could replace it i guess

They were an xmas gift but I guess they were about $250? Which is about the ceiling of what I'd like to pay (and less would be better, of course...)

Re: the battery - Surely you don't mean the AA battery that normally powers the headphones? Obviously I've checked that... not to mention replaced it many many times over the duration of my ownership. Or is there another internal battery or something that you're referring to?

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 7
Well i am not an expert and since there must be over 1k of headphones out there i could only point you to the right direction.
First of all check this multi review threat to get ideas.

The good thing is that you plan to use them inside. There fore i suggest the creative aurvana live! which for their price are extremely good. I doubt your bose were any better.
Now i dont know how you could find a pair of headphones to sleep with. You mean on your side?
rolleyes.gif

eek.gif

Anw if you want something even better in sound quality look for the AT-M50, the sennheiser HD-25-1 ii and the ultrasone Dj1 pro.
All of them are highly appreciated by many people but take a look at their sound signature.
If you plan to use them as you stated and not outside. Personally i would buy the creative aurvana live! more budget friendly and because of their semi-isolating nature they are more comfortable.

P.S sound cancelling headphones are not very famous around here. Why? somelike artificial sound and as you said for yourself you have to deal with crappy batteries.
wink_face.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 7
B&W P5, PS500, MS400, QC15, Z7550, DT1350, D50p and Klipsch Image ONE.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 7
I tried the Klipsch Custom one and I found its bass to be too overblown. However, the Sennheiser HD201's have a very good reputation here.  They are durable and sound good.  A review can be found in the link posted by Angelopsaro.  The DT1350 are also supposed to compete with the 201's, but I have read very little about them.  They are, however, from a reputable company around here.

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 7
In that review thread, the HD25-1 II, MDR-ZX700, and M50 seems to be the best bang for the buck. They are low profile looking just like you asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back