For you buyers/sellers to other countries ... customs duties with headphones?
Dec 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ninjames

I get people telling me I say dumb things all day.
So I'm selling my UE-900 and I've got a great buyer lined up in Australia. Looking at USPS.com, it looks like shipping will be about $24 for first class international to Australia, and the UE-900 are within the size limits and I believe the weight limits.

Unfortunately, I'm really dumb when it comes to customs and international shipping. It's all sorcery and voodoo to me. Do I declare the value where it should be? Do I tell them I'm selling it? Some people have suggested I mark it as a gift, if so, do I say that they're headphones? I'm looking for headphone-specific knowledge here, ya know.

Help someone who herps while he derps, plz. Just peep the custom title.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 3
best you just tell the truth

just as a single data point, i purchased a quite expensive new garment from a private selling in the US, shipped to me in continental europe

today i received a letter from the post requiring i come in with proof of payment and ebay or auction or similar transaction record, before the package would be released to me.  (the item was bought privately)

the attached shipping record has the content listed as clothing, with high insured value, but it was marked as gift.  i did not request or specify any of these details with the seller.  anyway, even though it was marked as gift, they still inspected it and im sure will demand a hefty VAT

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 3
The rule is that any item coming from the US to Australia of value $1000 or less does not have any tax applied to it. Just declare the real value for insurance purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back