For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Apr 5, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #19,291 of 21,186
Being a bit bored while recovering from a cold, I wrote a local audio dealer asking about their return policy, as I'm interested in the Mojo2. Not sure if it is worth the investment for me, therefore the question about returning it. The dealer instead said that I could just swing by and borrow a demo unit! That's why I try and support local dealers, when possible (Also bought the HE1000's in that store).
Can't wait to go pick it up tomorrow morning :)

Killing time until then and recovering with some great music:
Soen - Atlantis
On the V200 and Kiwi Ears Cadenza.

Skærmbillede 2024-04-05 142114.png

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #19,294 of 21,186
I can't quite get the sound I want from my Sennheiser HD 600. Best combo I have to hand is with my Mojo 2. Sounds better than either my desktop amp or my speaker amp, but it still feels like something's missing. The HD 600 just sound flat when I tune them toward greater clarity. I think I need to go in the opposite direction with these. Tubes may be on the horizon.

Sennheiser HD 600 < Mojo 2 < PC (Roon)

220px-InvisibleLantern.jpg

Invisible Lantern (1988), Screaming Trees

Thankfully, the HD 600 sound brilliant with noisy and fuzzy recordings. And there are few things noisier or fuzzier than early Screaming Trees releases. This album is psychedelic punk at the peak of the genre's powers. Despite how much I love this classic, I still feel sad listening to it. Mark Lanegan managed to avoid the young death that he seemed destined for. His later solo material obsessed over the fact that he survived when so many of his musical contemporaries had all succumbed to their own demons (particularly his good friend Kurt Cobain). Mark made it to middle age before his demons finally caught up with him. But this early Trees album still rocks all these many years later.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #19,295 of 21,186
Blast from the past!
Was browsing my flac collection on Plex, and stumbled upon this old progressive house album from Brooklyn Bounce. To me it's the "real" BB, as they turned mainstream after this album, and I pretty much lost all interest in them.
Funny to hear this again, and on a good set of headphones. I used to blast stuff like this through my Cerwin Vega speakers (the "real" ones, from back when they were produced in the US).
A lot of "real" snobbery from me here, sorry 🤣

Anyway:
Brooklyn Bounce - The Second Attack
Plex on Fiio R7 to Roger to HEKS 👌
1000005574.png

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #19,296 of 21,186
Qobuz / Roon - Eversolo DAC-Z8 - Schiit Magnius - Focal Clear OG with ZMF perforated suede pads

ugp8LbA.png

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #19,297 of 21,186
Alpha Wolf - Half Living Things
IMG_7181.jpeg
MP145 / RU7 / iPhone Pro Max 15 / Qobuz

One of my favorite bands with one of my least favorite names… cover art for this one isn’t great either. I was a bit iffy from the singles but luckily, the rest slams. Album is breakdown town, mosh pit call outs for days. Cool Ice-T collab lol.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #19,298 of 21,186
We played a late afternoon Friday matinee show so I got back to the hotel room a bit earlier than I normally do with our nighttime shows. I got back, had some dinner, showered up, and it's only 2AM so it's a perfect time for another wee hours sesh. I'm going with the Audeze LCD-3s running off my modded Schiit Lyr (Amperex-Tektronix Red Label ECC88s) with the Modi Multibit 2 decoding the coax out from a Wiim Pro. The LCD-3s and the Lyr go together like peanut butter and jelly. The Lyr really does something special to the smooth presentation and dynamic swing on the Audezes that I find addicting.

On deck in this morning's queue is the 2014 album that introduced me to Polyphia, Muse. I must have listened to this album three or four times in the first couple days after it was rec'd to me. I think Polyphia have since surpassed it with some of their subsequent work, e.g. New Levels New Devils, but I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for Muse which is a fantastic album in its own right. It's definitely still one of my favorites from the band and I highly recommend it to anyone out there that hasn't given it a whirl already. 🤘😎

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #19,299 of 21,186
We played a late afternoon Friday matinee show so I got back to the hotel room a bit earlier than I normally do with our nighttime shows. I got back, had some dinner, showered up, and it's only 2AM so it's a perfect time for another wee hours sesh. I'm going with the Audeze LCD-3s running off my modded Schiit Lyr (Amperex-Tektronix Red Label ECC88s) with the Modi Multibit 2 decoding the coax out from a Wiim Pro. The LCD-3s and the Lyr go together like peanut butter and jelly. The Lyr really does something special to the smooth presentation and dynamic swing on the Audezes that I find addicting.

On deck in this morning's queue is the 2014 album that introduced me to Polyphia, Muse. I must have listened to this album three or four times in the first couple days after it was rec'd to me. I think Polyphia have since surpassed it with some of their subsequent work, e.g. New Levels New Devils, but I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for Muse which is a fantastic album in its own right. It's definitely still one of my favorites from the band and I highly recommend it to anyone out there that hasn't given it a whirl already. 🤘😎

Man, I still can’t get over how much gear you bring with you on the road!

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #19,300 of 21,186
two tour buses for the band and an 18 wheeler for his audio gear with a mobile power station to feed it with mains voltage electricity - I want to see some pics :stuck_out_tongue:

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #19,301 of 21,186

Hey, I cut it back quite a bit after my break. I'm back in single digits for headphones, IEMs, and earbuds. That's pretty good for me. 😉

Seriously though, I'm on the road like three quarters of a given year so I have a lot of time to kill traveling and I also have pretty bad insomnia so I also tend to end up with a lot of hotel room time on my hands at times when I can't really do too much in the way of practicing on my drum pads or anything so the headphone gear hobby suits me nicely. When our label added another gear truck for this run and gave us the info on how much personal space we were allotted, I was stoked.

Before this tour, I was only able to bring what I could keep in my bunk area and the cargo hold on the bus (which still allowed me to have quite a bit of stuff). I found out a long time ago that part of making touring life easier and keeping yourself sane and entertained was making life on the road as close to feeling like life at home as possible. Being able to pursue this hobby at a high level and with plenty of variety while I'm away has been great for helping to prevent burnout during long and often grueling tours. In fact, just the other day I was thanking our manager and tour organizer for making that possible because it really has increased the quality of life on the road so to speak. I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but it's the truth.

*Drifts off into a dream sequence.*

Now if I can just become and actual rockstar. I'll make them provide a truck dedicated solely to my audio gear and maybe a roadie or two to haul it all in and out of my massive hotel suites...😜🤘😎

To keep things topical:

Still running the LCD-3s from the modded Lyr/MMB2/Wiim Pro signal chain. Still loving this setup. It's hitting the spot and suits my mood perfectly.

Up next in my queue, we've got Owane's 2016 effort, Dunno. This guy's music is genius. He executes his album themes with wonderful coherence and makes his music engaging and fun to listen to from both casual and technical perspectives. I own his entire discography and I can't think of any of his work that I don't like. The recent collaborative albums he's/they've put out as Jack & Owane have shown a nice evolution to the music, but they haven't diminished my love for his solo albums like this one. Two thumbs way up! 👍👍😎

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #19,302 of 21,186
I can't quite get the sound I want from my Sennheiser HD 600. Best combo I have to hand is with my Mojo 2. Sounds better than either my desktop amp or my speaker amp, but it still feels like something's missing. The HD 600 just sound flat when I tune them toward greater clarity. I think I need to go in the opposite direction with these. Tubes may be on the horizon.

Sennheiser HD 600 < Mojo 2 < PC (Roon)

220px-InvisibleLantern.jpg

Invisible Lantern (1988), Screaming Trees

Thankfully, the HD 600 sound brilliant with noisy and fuzzy recordings. And there are few things noisier or fuzzier than early Screaming Trees releases. This album is psychedelic punk at the peak of the genre's powers. Despite how much I love this classic, I still feel sad listening to it. Mark Lanegan managed to avoid the young death that he seemed destined for. His later solo material obsessed over the fact that he survived when so many of his musical contemporaries had all succumbed to their own demons (particularly his good friend Kurt Cobain). Mark made it to middle age before his demons finally caught up with him. But this early Trees album still rocks all these many years later.
For the 600’s a tube amp will make a substantial difference. Your soundstage will be deeper enhancing their wonderful midrange more. I’m playing my Focal Elex’s through my Liquid Platinum with some nice tubes and they sound much fuller!

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #19,304 of 21,186
roon > SMSL SU9 > SMSL SH9 > Sennheiser HD800S :L3000:

standup.jpg

Stand Up (1969) by Jethro Tull - The Steven Wilson remix which improved the first proper Tull album, which co-incidentally was also the first to feature Martin Barre. Much more folk oriented than the first which was basically a Mick Abrahams blues album. Anderson's flute playing isn't classic worthy but it fits into the songs very well and he was obviously putting a lot of time into improving his skills. Back to the HD800S because I just can't stay away from them, so, so comfortable for long sessions and they sound sublime to these ears. :darthsmile:

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #19,305 of 21,186
IMG_3534.jpeg

Some new tunes. Paula Cole tonight. Great voice.
Focal Elex- Liquid Platinum with Amperex ECC82 Bugleboys. Love the tubes with these cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back