For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #16,936 of 20,937
SharedScreenshot.jpg
This album Rocks! What a great recording. :L3000: The K340's lead guitar timbre is top-notch.
20220109_141729.jpg
K340 Electrostat-Dynamic-System (green drivers) stock < Luxman R-113 < Loxjie D30 < Amazon Music HD.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #16,937 of 20,937
IMG_6402.jpeg
Magdalena Bay - Mercurial World

Oriolus Szalayi > RU7 > Qobuz > iPad

Prepping for company tonight with some ethereal synth pop

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #16,939 of 20,937
Over the last few weeks I have been making my way through the new ThieAudio Hype series IEMs. I started with the Hype 2 and Hype 4, finding the Hype 2s to be very impressive for the money. The Hype 4s came off as kind of a slightly less musical, less dynamic, and more expensive Hype 2 where the two extra BAs weren't really providing anything in the way of a sonic advantage and simply driving the cost up. Thus, the Hype 4s have been sold, but the Hype 2s remain in my arsenal and with the news I just got that the Hype 10s are on their way from SoCal to the Hotel we'll be at later next week, I figured now was a good time to break them out. So I've got the ThieAudio Hype 2s plugged into the Cayin N8ii as the road trip continues...

At the top of my queue is a classic album from all the way back in 2011: Heritage by Opeth. I know I've said this here before, but when this album came out I was so stoked that Opeth took a turn towards the proggy side. In their past more metal albums I heard flashes of something I really liked, but Heritage was the first Opeth album I could really sink my teeth into and it remains one of my absolute favorite albums. In fact, it's one of the few albums that I own in hi-res digital dl, on CD, and on vinyl. I can remember listening to this album a lot while trying to sleep on a few very long plane and boat rides I took shortly after this came out. It's just too good to pass up so if you haven't heard it, now's the time!

To those about to rock, I salute you! 🤘😎

opeth-heritage.jpg

Edit: Just to explain, I can't sleep to boring music. I sleep best to music that provides atmosphere that I can explore while I let my mind wander so my saying that I listened to this album while trying to sleep shouldn't be taken as an indicator of it being boring or anything. For reference, I also often sleep to stuff like Polyphia, Scale the Summit, etc. Weird, right? 🤪😜
You’re the first person, I’ve heard, that prefers the hype 2 over the 4. The 4 is supposed to have more bass and treble. Interesting

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #16,940 of 20,937
JRiver MC (PC) > SMSL SU9 > SMSL SH9 > Grado RS-1x :musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note:

thriller.jpg

Thriller (DSD 2007) by Michael Jackson - I finally got around to trying F-pads on my Grado RS-1x tonight and have been using the trinity of Thriller, Beat It and Billie Jean as test material as they are some of the best recorded songs I've ever heard. I had to change to the SMSL stack as Schiit DACs don't do DSD. Immediately on swapping to the F-pads the mids had more body and the guitars on Beat It were sublime, however, this was at a cost of fuzzier and less lively highs and poorer imaging, separation and soundstage. Suffice it to say, the L-pads are back on and that's where they will be staying - I tried. :darthsmile:

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #16,941 of 20,937
JRiver MC (PC) > SMSL SU9 > SMSL SH9 > Grado RS-1x :musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note:

Thriller (DSD 2007) by Michael Jackson - I finally got around to trying F-pads on my Grado RS-1x tonight and have been using the trinity of Thriller, Beat It and Billie Jean as test material as they are some of the best recorded songs I've ever heard. I had to change to the SMSL stack as Schiit DACs don't do DSD. Immediately on swapping to the F-pads the mids had more body and the guitars on Beat It were sublime, however, this was at a cost of fuzzier and less lively highs and poorer imaging, separation and soundstage. Suffice it to say, the L-pads are back on and that's where they will be staying - I tried. :darthsmile:
🫡 👍 ... you tried! if everyone heard in the same way, these threads would be far shorter & far less interesting ... 🥱😞 ...

Jan 14, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #16,942 of 20,937
🫡 👍 ... you tried! if everyone heard in the same way, these threads would be far shorter & far less interesting ... 🥱😞 ...
To be fair, it's not like the F-pads sounded bad, they were far from that. Just playing Beat It was almost enough to win me over, Steve Lukather's guitar sound was incredible and the world axis wobbled when Eddie Van Halen came in with his solo. The RS-1x with F-pads sounded a bit like a more resolving SR325x with a touch less bass, so a very good all rounder. The RS-1x with L-pads is not as versatile but what it does best is on another level, at least to these old ears of mine and they are the ones I have to live with. I actually wish I had preferred the F-pads because there is no denying they are a lot more comfortable over long listening sessions.

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #16,943 of 20,937
To be fair, it's not like the F-pads sounded bad, they were far from that. Just playing Beat It was almost enough to win me over, Steve Lukather's guitar sound was incredible and the world axis wobbled when Eddie Van Halen came in with his solo. The RS-1x with F-pads sounded a bit like a more resolving SR325x with a touch less bass, so a very good all rounder. The RS-1x with L-pads is not as versatile but what it does best is on another level, at least to these old ears of mine and they are the ones I have to live with. I actually wish I had preferred the F-pads because there is no denying they are a lot more comfortable over long listening sessions.
I think that ear shape, hearing and angle may have a lot to do with comfort and sound. I can only last about one hour with the L-pads. They put all the pressure on a small area and it starts to get painful. The F-cush distribution of force is much better.
I much prefer the sound and comfort of the flats on my RS-1 buttons.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #16,946 of 20,937
Roon/Qobuz => WiiM Pro => Bifrost 2/64 => Jot 1 => Hemp

1705243342997.png

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #16,950 of 20,937
Started with 1st gen Focal Utopia but they were too revealing so switched to HD800
Sleeping Dogs and the Slow Horses season 1 soundtrack was problematic. Mostly so when using a better source.
Apple Music vs a Unity Core server through the same DAC with tracks both being 48 24.
Real culprit was tube rolling on a Woo WA6. Fat body 6FD7 drivers and a 5Z3 rectifier...

SlowHorses.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back