For fans of vintage PCDPs
Apr 30, 2007 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

eduj

1000+ Head-Fier
Today while looking for info on oldschool pcdps on the web i found this gallery
http://www.wretch.cc/album/album.php...&book=1&page=1
eek.gif
tons of pics of vintage players not only Sony but also Philips,Toshiba,Kenwood etc.It was nice seeing so many beauties together
rs1smile.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 28
You gotta love the AZ6831
smily_headphones1.gif
It's pretty cool to own some vintage PCDP's, but imo you still gotta find some time to use these beauties, unless you're a real collector.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 28
I use mine mainly as bedroom players with headamp+phones.Seeing all these Philips makes me wanna check ebay.de more often
smily_headphones1.gif
I plan to get a AZ6815 and a AZ6831.I have a NOS AZ6821 i got from Germany and its a nice little player and fully portable (fairly light,no skipping while walking).The sound is a bit brighter than my Sonys.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 28
I scored the AZ6831 off eBay for $10 a year back, but the're pretty hard to find it, I didn't come across any since. On eBay.de and a Dutch secondhand store, I spotted a AZ6821, though the price was quite steep. The Philips soundsignature is indeed brighter and dryer (correct spelling?) compared to Sony, which is more energetic and colder. Both are great players though. I wonder what my incoming iAudio U3 will sound like...

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 28
Up to now i 've find that oldschool sonys match well with grados.Do you think that the olschool Philips,being brighter,go well with the "non titanium" Koss phones like portapro and ksc35?I may get a portapro to use it with the AZ6821+IbassoT1.

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 28
Man, that Kenwood above ( & that DPC 90, wooooo!) looks lovely.
thanks for the link!

I.....love......black...boxes.....want.....more... .nnnnnnngg.....need....more....
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Up to now i 've find that oldschool sonys match well with grados.Do you think that the olschool Philips,being brighter,go well with the "non titanium" Koss phones like portapro and ksc35?I may get a portapro to use it with the AZ6821+IbassoT1.

Absolutely, I'm listening to this combo right now (AZ6831 line-out + DIY amp + KSC35). Sometimes I switch for a KSC75, the difference isn't that big, bass is less in amount, but depth and definition is superb. Highs have more sparkle.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 28
At last! Birthdays for all my Discmen!

Thanks eduj
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 28
Sweet... After adjusting for inflation, the new price of the D-335 would be $350.67. I love mine. I haven't tried any of the rarer models, but it's my favorite of all the PCDPs I've owned. It also has the loudest output at something like 30 mW/channel.

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet... After adjusting for inflation, the new price of the D-335 would be $350.67. I love mine. I haven't tried any of the rarer models, but it's my favorite of all the PCDPs I've owned. It also has the loudest output at something like 30 mW/channel.

x2... mine has become a little cranky in its old age. I can't bump or jostle it or it'll skip. So even though it has an uncompressed 6 second ESP buffer, I only use it at home... its not unlike a turntable in a lot of ways
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back