For fans of Electric Guitar virtuosos...
Sep 1, 2007 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lmilhan

Headphoneus Supremus
Way back in the 80s, there was this entire movement of guitar instrumental musicians. And let me tell you that many of them were/are absolutely amazing. What a wonderful time to be a fan of guitar virtuosos. And then Nirvana came along and ruined everything - but that's a whole other rant for another thread at perhaps another time.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Some of my favorite guitarists came from that (pre-Nirvana) time such as Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Chris Impelliterri, Tony McAlpine, Vinnie Moore, Eric Johnson, Greg Howe and Jason Becker, just to name a few.

During that time, Jason Becker was really blowing my mind, and still to this day Perpetual Burn blows my mind (I get depressed every time I think of what happened to that poor guy). Becker was frequently playing with another fellow named Marty Friedman. Becker and Friedman each had their own solo CD and they both played in a band named Cacophony. As it turns out, Marty Friedman never real 'did it' for me for some reason that I couldn't quite put my finger on. There were many other guitarists at the time who were much more interesting to my ears, so I often never paid Friedman much attention. Later on Friedman joined Megadeth, at which time he got my attention, and I finally started acknowledging him as the virtuoso that he really is. He put out a couple of more solo albums, which again didn't really 'do it' for me.

Ok so after that long winded commentary, you may be asking yourself where I am going with this?

Well, He's baaaaaacccckkk!

His new CD is named Loudspeaker.

61YsbnSYUJL._AA240_.jpg

And let me tell you that this is the Marty Friedman I always wanted to hear, but for some reason in the past he never quite reached this level of greatness (except for maybe his work with Megadeth).

I don't know if it his new home in Japan that influenced him, or perhaps he is feeding off of the other great guest artists who appear on the CD (Vai, Petrucci, Sheehan). Whatever the case may be, this CD is wonderful and rocks from top to bottom. As a nice bonus, it happens to be mastered quite well. And Marty has a great guitar tone on this one! If you are a fan of instrumental electric guitar albums, this one is a no brainer. Your collection is incomplete without this one I tell ya. Get it!
icon10.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 8
As a fan of Megadeth and great electric guitar musicians in general, I have no other option than getting this album
icon10.gif

By the way, does anyone here know Frank Solari? He is a brasilian guitar virtuoso and his music is really great. If you like funky guitar solos you got to check out his CD "Acqua".
I only own this record and I don't know if he released more but I can strongly recommend this one.

Sep 1, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Oh I forgot to ask, how is the recording quality? It's a new album so I'm a bit worried on that front :/

Sep 1, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 8
Jimmy Paige, Jimi Hendrix, RSV, ...

Quote:

Eddie Van Halen's solo on the 'Eruption' on the self-titled 'Van Halen' album, 1978,
shows his incredible virtuosity.
Randy Rhoads's phenomenal guitar playing can be heard on 'Randy Rhoads Tribute', Ozzy Osbourne, 1987.
More virtuosi.
Michael Schenker, e.g. 'Strange Nights' UFO, 1978, ...
Yngwie Malmsteen, e.g. 'Rising force', Steeler, 1984, ...
Dream Theater's John Petruci, e.g. 'Live at Budokan', 2004.

G3 touring showcase (started 1996) has featured many gutarists virtuosi:
Eric Johnson, Joe Satrani, Steve Vai, Robert Fripp (King Crimson, 1970s,...),
Uli Jon Roth (..., Scorpions, 1973-1978, ...), and above mentioned John Petruci,
Michael Schenker, Yngwie Malmsteen, .... and more.

Taken from the opening post here:
Guitar Gods: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, ...

blink.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 8
Marty's still a great player. He lives in Japan now where his kind of music is more marketable. Haven't heard his work in a couple of years but will be sure to check it out as I've always appreciated his playing.

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 8
there are still "Electric Guitar Virtuosos" out there, it's just that most of them don't play instrumental hair metal.

Marc Ribot, for instance, is a genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back