for electric guitar (through Digitech RP250) and PS3 - price under $100 - Audio-Technica ATH-M35 vs Sennheiser HD 202 II
Aug 25, 2012 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

surashid

New Head-Fier
Hello to all you audio experts,

I am looking for some decent headphones for under $100, to be used for mainly these reasons (#1 being the highest priority and #3 being the lowest):

1) Playing my electric guitar through the Digitech RP 250 processor (and possibly recording through my laptop)
2) Playing games in PS3 (for example Rocksmith, where I use the same electric
3) General use with my laptop; for recording or just solely for audio consumption (songs, movies etc)

I purchased the Sennheiser HD 202 II a few days ago (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sennheiser-sennheiser-dj-studio-headphones-hd-202-ii-hd202-ii/10154372.aspx?path=41f4c3bd711947159481f9ccef372a69en02).

While this Sennheiser isn't too bad, I am feeling these 3 negative points (thinking of getting them replaced):

1) When I use it with my PS3 (converting the RCA analog Y cables - red and white - to 3.5 mm stereo female for my headphone), the volume isn't that high. Note that when I used with my laptop, this volume level is much higher

Does anyone know why this happens? Is this inherent to converting the analog audio output from PS3 to 3.5 mm stereo? The volume just reduces?

2) The bass is not that noticeable

3) It is not too comfortable

Questions:

Does anyone have any suggestions?
How does these 3 requirements of mine (and the negative points of the current headphones) compare against Audio Technica?
Any other headphones in this price range that might be recommended?

Thanks if you have read all the way up to here :)

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 3
The volume issue isn't your headphones. The RCA outs simply weren't intended to power headphones. You'll either need an RCA > amp > phones setup or to find a different way to connect. As long as you're running them straight out of the RCA, more expensive headphones will just be a waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back