For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #646 of 9,589
Lewis & Kaufman was a pure rebranded. I have some Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY's branded Lewis & Kaufman, of all things.

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #647 of 9,589
Quote:
Not just that, but now looking at the data sheet, the higher transconductance is derived by specifying different operating values than the 5998 uses when it specifies 15.5K.

Sorry. I'm unconvinced. That and the fact that the WE data sheet itself says "5998/421A"...

The primary reason for my skepticism is that the odds of WE having manufactured such an uncommon tube type don't seem very high. It's possible that ER had Tung-Sol tweak the 5998 slightly for them when they supplied it to WE. But even that I'm skeptical of.

I definitely agree Tung Sol made them, not WE, but it is entirely possible it was to a slightly altered design.  Aside from collector's obsession I can't see a reason to spend more for  a 421A so I'm certainly not arguing that point, I just don't think it is *quite* right to say the two tubes are completely identical. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #648 of 9,589
Ever find a tube you liked so much you wanted to buy all of them.....and there were none to be found? :frowning2:

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #649 of 9,589
Quote:
Yup, I have some bottom getter Tung-Sol 5998's.

Bottom getter 5998s are the cat's meow looks wise.  I bet the light show would be even better with the open heaters not having their light blocked by the getter atop the glass.  I still feel overall the 5998 is one of the most beautiful tubes out there when lit in a dark room.

I have only top getters sadly.

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #650 of 9,589
Quote:
Ever find a tube you liked so much you wanted to buy all of them.....and there were none to be found?
frown.gif

Actually, yes, when I was first getting into tubes a few years ago.  I found an odd RCA 6FD7 tube for my WA6 that had plates unlike any other 6FD7 myself or any other owner had seen.  It sounded a whole lot better than the normal ones too.  At least half a dozen people besides myself contacted all kinds of tube sellers and searched around and nobody ever found another pair.  I regret including them with the amp when I sold it, even though I had no other use for the tubes.  Hopefully the current owner enjoys the tubes now.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #651 of 9,589
I definitely agree Tung Sol made them, not WE, but it is entirely possible it was to a slightly altered design.  Aside from collector's obsession I can't see a reason to spend more for  a 421A so I'm certainly not arguing that point, I just don't think it is *quite* right to say the two tubes are completely identical. 

Fair enough :) I think that's really the point, is that the premium price the WE421A demands has no justification other than as you so well said, "collectors obsession". Now, if they were the same price or less than 5998's, that would be different.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #652 of 9,589
I may not need to refill my placebo prescription for a while. Unused '73 double bottom halo. There look to be subtle differences in construction between my 2399 and this 421A in the way the wiring to the plates is made. Looks like the 421 has a thick spiral solid wire that loops the lower supports where the 2399 has a right angle small wire jumper. It may be common with all the bottom getter builds though. I'll try and get a photo after my ears stop grinning. This was a lucky buy. The last photo is of the 2399 wiring for reference.

Upon closer inspection, that curved wire holds the getter....interesting and beautiful.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #654 of 9,589
Mmm, fresh. At $7.50 shipped this was a great deal. :)

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #657 of 9,589
Quote:
Mmm, fresh. At $7.50 shipped this was a great deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a pair of those, same year even.  For some reason they go for very low prices.  I'm not sure why as I find them above average as far as 6080 tubes go.

My first thought when I unrolled that stuff they are wrapped in was "I hope this stuff isn't full of asbestos...." 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #658 of 9,589
I need some recommendations. ts 5998 is a little too pricy for me, there's not a lot but the few that are on ebay is at $100 each. most listings are in pairs. is there any others that are good without breaking the bank? I have a darkvoice 336se and 2 rca 6as7s plus the stock.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #659 of 9,589
Quote:
I need some recommendations. ts 5998 is a little too pricy for me, there's not a lot but the few that are on ebay is at $100 each. most listings are in pairs. is there any others that are good without breaking the bank? I have a darkvoice 336se and 2 rca 6as7s plus the stock.

i just bought a spare set of 5998's the other day, they're getting really hard to find, and expensive too 
confused_face.gif

maybe you can try tung sol/chatham 6AS7G? the RCA's you have are pretty good though, cheap too 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back