Football (Soccer) Fans Gather
Mar 6, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #466 of 532

I don't watch rugby, but sounds about right! Fans will never stop complaining about officials' decisions - and sometimes with good cause! What still irks me though is that by and large, no-one complains about players' dishonesty. It's all about the officials not spotting something rather than the player's lack of honesty in not owning up to it. Football must be one of the few sports where the concept of a 'professional foul' is an accepted (sometimes even lauded!) part of the game. You get those high profile incidents, like Henry vs Ireland or Maradona's Hand of God, where fans cry foul but usually only when there is something big at stake. In many other sports, good sportsmanship is a point of pride for players. Not that the culture can easily be changed, when even most managers encourage their players to go down in the box and would probably give them a blast if they were honest enough not to take a dive, but IMO basic dishonesty is as much of a blight on the game as bad officiating.

The video ref system in Rugby League is only called upon for touchdowns. The referee, if he's not sure that a try has been scored correctly, refers the decision upstairs either as "try" or "no try" (the video ref has to find a reason to overturn the decision). 

That leaves the rest of the match, where the spectators see what they want to see, just like in Football. And we all know how that works - our team are physical and aggressive, their team are a bunch of dirty thugs. Flat passes from our lads are always line balls, while other lot chuck it a mile forward every time. Our defensive line moves up quickly, but theirs is constantly offside. And so on.

So, still plenty for the fans to get angry about.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #467 of 532
At least it's not like hockey where "professional foul" is essentially encoded into the game.
It seems to be a much more accepted tactic in basketball these days than I remember it being growing up.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #468 of 532
It's 10-2 sacked for Wenger...

Sorry, couldn't resist 
biggrin.gif
 I wonder if the Bayern fans were singing "am morgen entlassen" at the Emirates last night...

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #472 of 532
The other one was not a penalty. He just cutted in front of the defender to fall over. Neymars penalty was a bit soso as well but sure we want goals this is like F1s DRS lol. It´s a generally accepted cheat that you can seek others legs and get penalties that way. 

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #473 of 532
The other one was not a penalty. He just cutted in front of the defender to fall over. Neymars penalty was a bit soso as well but sure we want goals this is like F1s DRS lol. It´s a generally accepted cheat that you can seek others legs and get penalties that way. 

There was contact. Admittedly Suarez made the most of it, but the defender made a hash of it as well. He was in front of the defender to begin with. I think most strikers would have appealed and got what they wanted. He was being smart as the pros would say.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #474 of 532
There was contact. Admittedly Suarez made the most of it, but the defender made a hash of it as well. He was in front of the defender to begin with. I think most strikers would have appealed and got what they wanted. He was being smart as the pros would say.

Yes there was contact because Suarez looked for contact. It´s an offensive foul in basketball terms

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #476 of 532
Well it does it´s called obstruction but referee decided to not give the freekick to the defender this time.

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #478 of 532
Well it does it´s called obstruction but referee decided to not give the freekick to the defender this time.

You do realise Suarez was better placed to get to the ball and had forward momentum. Obstruction rules wouldn't be applicable in this case. There's also clear leg contact between the defender and Suarez's backside.

He made the most of it for sure, but there was contact and it would have been a penalty on most occasions.

Maybe, he shouldn't have been on the pitch to begin with though and Mascherano's handball was arguably another penalty but for PSG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back