Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Jun 24, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #76 of 868
I might sort them with headphone first and genre later, as people seem to seek which gear is being used, and genre listened to right after.

Managing DSP chain presets can be a tricky thing, as by default the only way to trade them between different foobar installs is to copy the Core.cfg file. And truth be told, it's not exactly the most practical way to do it. Although, there is a component that's meant to handle import/export of DSP chain presets.

You can get the component here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=86873

Do note that some users might need to press shift+right click for the context menu to display the proper options.

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #77 of 868
I made a few presets already:

I reuploaded the foobar2000 config to include these in the preconfig foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone-RPGWiZaRD

You can check them out and see what you think, I wouldn't want to overdo and make them too drastic cuz hardly those very drastic EQ settings make that much sense. Some examples:

Custom: Basshead

Genre: Classical

Genre: Pop

Hph: Sony MDR-XB500

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #78 of 868
I'm using Dolby Headphone for 4 years know and I love it.
I think the equalizer settings are not very useful because it's difficult to match someone's favorite personal hearing settings. Everyone should calibrate the own equalizer settings to get their best experience. 

Here is another equalizer that is a bit more configurable. (VST)  
http://www.aixcoustic.com/index.php/Electri-Q-posihfopit/30/0/

In this thread only the Channel Mixer is mentioned. Did someone try the freesurround beta  plug-in or the matrix mixer?
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=52235&start=0&p=734163&#entry734163  
This plug-in comes very close to the "professional" Dolby or dts upmixes.  First I used the channel mixer plug-in but I don't like that vocal are mixed to all Channels. So I checked other dsp like the freesurround and they really can put vocals in the Center channel from most stereo music. The separation between the channels is much better.  The disadvantage is that you lost bit clarity especially in the rear channels.

At the moment I use these configurations:

Resampler (sox)
Electri-Q (VST)
dtsneuralupmix 5.1 (VST no freeware)
matrixmixer
dolby headphone (asus xonar u1 or foobar plugin)
or
Resampler (sox)
Electri-Q (VST)
dtsneuralupmix 7.1 (VST no freeware)
matrixmixer
dolby headphone (asus xonar U1)
or
Resampler (sox)
Electri-Q (VST)
dolbyprologic (asus xonar U1 not the foobar plugin cause that sounds terrible)
dolby headphone (asus xonar U1)
or
Resampler (sox)
Electri-Q (VST)
freesurroundbeta (5.1 or 7.1)
dolby headphone
or
Resampler (sox)
Electri-Q (VST)
V.I.stereo to 5.1 (http://stevethomson.ca/vi/)
dolby headphone
or
Resampler (sox)
Electri-Q (VST)
Channel Mixer
dolby headphone

My favorites are the first two configurations. But the freesurroundbeta dsp is close to it.  The Channel Mixer configuration is not bad but I like when vocals came only from the center like in "real 5.1".
I wrote this cause I want to show, that there are several options for using dolby headphone. Maybe someone will test one of the mentioned suggestions and liked it.

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #79 of 868
Oh thanks for your input, much appriciated! Yes I'm well aware that I can't EQ for all headphones in mind, I just wanted to neglect the frequency response change dolby headphone adds. However with the different EQ presets I just want non EQ enthusiasts give a few random settings, the more I provide the more chance that they find something they might like or find useful.

I immediatly had to try that Freesurround beta plugin and my first impressions are wow, this one's really configurable in all aspects:

I might even replace Channel Mixer with this plugin in case I find it works well enough despite it's BETA stage.

EDIT: In my ears it doesn't sound quite as good as channel mixer. It sounds more 2 dimensional compared to channel mixer however I try to config it and channel mixer has this more realistic depth to it.

EDIT2: Few more EQ presets added:

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #81 of 868

Quote:
I made a few presets already:

I reuploaded the foobar2000 config to include these in the preconfig foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone-RPGWiZaRD

You can check them out and see what you think, I wouldn't want to overdo and make them too drastic cuz hardly those very drastic EQ settings make that much sense. Some examples:

Custom: Basshead

Genre: Classical

Genre: Pop

Hph: Sony MDR-XB500

You should use the component I linked before, and export only .fbcp files. Would be much easier to share things, no need to have a foreign foobar2000 install parallel to the pre-existing one, and the only requirement is the plugins that are already mentioned on the first post.

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #82 of 868
Yea sorry, uploaded the .fbcp file here https://skydrive.live.com/#!/?cid=87ed83e2c9fd453c&sc=documents&uc=1&id=87ED83E2C9FD453C%21272

I think I will probably need to lower especially the bass on many of the configs due to Dolby headphone adding quite a lot of its own so those like "rock" for example which is meant to be V-shaped might need to be less boosted on the left side to correspond to what that "rock" preset would sound like without dolby headphone. But I'll see what you think first. I'm a basshead so I thought they sounded "ok" even on my XB500 (as long as I disabled my soundcard's EQ config). :p Will probably add some more later.

So what do you guys think, should I decrease bass levels on the "genre" based EQ presets?

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #84 of 868
Well I made some small adjustments to the EQ settings again (I uploaded the changes just as I post this message) to some of the presets as well as balanced the volume of them a bit better (it's impossible to get a perfect balance in volume since songs use the various ranges so differently so if I'd adjust the bassheavy presets to play the deep bassnotes with same volume you'd barely hear the vocals compared to the presets with boosted vocals for example so I do some compromise here and there).

At least I'm very satisfied with the EQ presets how they sound like, even if I prefer using my own XB500 EQ settings using my soundcard's EQ I'm enjoying using these EQ settings quite a lot with this XB500 too as they aren't too exaggerated and sounds reasonably good depending on which preset for what genre I listen to. I also now realize this 31-band EQ plugin works A LOT better than the default one as I don't have to decrease the bands but can also go above 0 if I decrease the master gain slider which the default foobar EQ lacks and it colors the frequencies a lot less and provides a cleaner result.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #85 of 868
I really think I'll need to modify the default "balanced" preset quite a bit now when I quickly switch between DH on/off, it's far from the same sounding, needs a bigger boost at the upper-mids especially. I already have a much closer sounding config but I'll tweak around a little more. Comparing with iTunes is a bad reference as it sounds highly different to foobar at stock config...

EDIT: Really seems like this graphic equalizer isn't cutting it, might have to concider swapping it for some VST EQ.

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #86 of 868

Quote:
I really think I'll need to modify the default "balanced" preset quite a bit now when I quickly switch between DH on/off, it's far from the same sounding, needs a bigger boost at the upper-mids especially. I already have a much closer sounding config but I'll tweak around a little more. Comparing with iTunes is a bad reference as it sounds highly different to foobar at stock config...

EDIT: Really seems like this graphic equalizer isn't cutting it, might have to concider swapping it for some VST EQ.

What flaws are you currently finding with the Graphic Equalizer? And there are a couple free VST EQs out there that could very well be used with a wrapper on foobar2000, and that would indeed validate a full install package. Though, I still think that uploading separate .fbcp files is of use, as it's currently the only practical way to export/import DSP chain presets, out of copying the full player settings from the core file.

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #87 of 868
Well I just find it impossible to get the certain range as forward sounding around 2 ~ 6kHz especially. Sounds like there's barely any change if I either boost it or lower the rest even with drastic amounts, it just doesn't change by the amounts it should. If you compare directly to stock foobar2000 setting (it'll sound a little "veiled"/masked into the rest) without DH with this EQ but I wasn't very successful with the VST eqs either, I didn't think it brought any noticable improvement at least and besides using the VST host it added more noise than using this 31-band EQ only. With EasyQ which is quite nice VST EQ (I thought it worked better than Electric-Q distortion-wise) and easily adjustable I could quickly lower the gain to lower the distortion level but then again I couldn't get any better result with that compare to this Graphical EQ plugin either really. Only on my soundcard's EQ I can get that result I'd want.

Why would uploading separate fbcp files be better than uploading one that contains all EQ presets? The file is like 1KB anyway.

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #88 of 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well I just find it impossible to get the certain range as forward sounding around 2 ~ 6kHz especially (sounds like there's barely any change if I either boost it or lower the rest even with drastic amounts) if you compare directly to stock foobar2000 setting (it'll sound a little "veiled"/masked into the rest) without DH with this EQ but I wasn't very successful with the VST eqs either, I didn't think it brought any noticable improvement at least and besides using the VST host it added more noise than using this 31-band EQ only. With EasyQ which is quite nice VST EQ (I thought it worked better than Electric-Q distortion-wise) and easily adjustable I could quickly lower the gain to lower the distortion level but then again I couldn't get any better result with that compare to this Graphical EQ plugin either really. Only on my soundcard's EQ I can get that result I'd want.

Why would uploading separate fbcp files be better than uploading one that contains all EQ presets? The file is like 1KB anyway.

Does EasyQ works properly with the VST wrapper?

I, for one, won't use other foobar2000 install folders on my system, while using just the DSP chain presets, which is what's really needed, works perfectly on an existing installation, without having to use a foreign foobar2000 install.

And .fbcp files contail all the presets required.

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #89 of 868
Yes I already posted that I uploaded the fbcp file. Thought you saw it and now were talking about adding invidual fbcp files for every eq preset or something. EasyQ works fine with the George's VST wrapper.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #90 of 868

Quote:
Yes I already posted that I uploaded the fbcp file. Thought you saw it and now were talking about adding invidual fbcp files for every eq preset or something. EasyQ works fine with the George's VST wrapper.

Oh no, a single .fbcp file is more than enough. I only said it so you would update .fbcp files when you changed any settings that were uploaded right after.

Do try VST 2.4 adapter by Yegor Petrov. It integrates VSTs the way they should've been integrated from the start in foobar2000. I've been a user of George Yohng's VST wrapper for quite some time, but it both started acting up, as well as being flagged as an unstable component. You can check that on foobar2000 by going to Help -> Online troubleshooter.

VST 2.4 adapter can be found here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=84947

Users who are viewing this thread

Back