foobar sadness a bug
Nov 29, 2009 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

momomo6789

1000+ Head-Fier
frown.gif
copyed a playlist from foobar to a folder it crashed and deleted 2.8k songs
frown.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 16
I wouldn't expect Foobar, or any other program, to lose files due to an aborted or crashed copy operation. The normal procedure when a program moves files is to write the file to the new location before deleting the original. That way if the copy process crashes or is aborted then nothing is lost.

Maybe the files are in limbo in a temp directory somewhere?

Many playlist formats, like M3U, have the song locations hard-coded. If you move the files the playlist will no longer be pointing to the files. The playlist will still be pointing to the old location. Could that be the problem? I don't know if Foobar rewrites the playlist file to point to the new location when it moves files.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 16
That makes no sense at all. How would moving a playlist delete all those music files?
Run a search for the files...if you cannot locate them use a recovery program.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 16
Sorry to hear!
Time to restore from backup then, if they really got deleted that is...

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 16
The only time I've had foobar unintentionally delete a file is when I pressed the delete option in the context menu (thinking that it would remove it from the playlist rather than delete the file).

I mess with foobar a lot (skinning, beta plugins etc) so mine crashes a lot when I am messing around and I've never had it delete anything without me actually telling it to.

So I have high hopes that itll work out.
If you cant be bothered working out what happened maybe a system restore is hte best method (if you have it applying to your music folder)

Nov 30, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't expect Foobar, or any other program, to lose files due to an aborted or crashed copy operation. The normal procedure when a program moves files is to write the file to the new location before deleting the original. That way if the copy process crashes or is aborted then nothing is lost.

Guess you are not familiar with the "minor" OSX bug
smily_headphones1.gif

tomkarpik.com » Massive Data Loss Bug in Leopard

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 16
I find that highly unlikely.

Unless you used file operations / tagging files shouldn't even be touched.

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i ended up restoring the files and made a entire copy of all my music .
deadhorse.gif

Ouch! I wonder what happened? Foobar shouldn't lose files under any circumstances. A serious bug if it did.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i ended up restoring the files and made a entire copy of all my music .
deadhorse.gif

Guess you have reported the problem to the developer(s) as well. Sounds like a major bug to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back