Foobar: HardLimiter vs. Volume Control to avoid clipping
Jul 9, 2006 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gevorg

1000+ Head-Fier
Is there any disadvantage of using Hard -6db Limiter instead of the variable volume control to avoid clipping? I don't really know the idea of how it works, and what is the difference between the two.
I'm using the EMU 1212m as digital out, and can visually see any clipping if its there, and when the hard limiter is used, the peaks go very close to 0 db, but don't clip. When the volume control way is used, it just lowers the peaks by whatever the db value it is set to.

Jul 9, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
Is there any disadvantage of using Hard -6db Limiter instead of the variable volume control to avoid clipping? I don't really know the idea of how it works, and what is the difference between the two.
I'm using the EMU 1212m as digital out, and can visually see any clipping if its there, and when the hard limiter is used, the peaks go very close to 0 db, but don't clip. When the volume control way is used, it just lowers the peaks by whatever the db value it is set to.

I imagine that using the hard limiter could result in more dynamic compression (smaller difference between the quiet and loud notes).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back