Foobar and iTunes
May 12, 2011 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MicroNik

Head-Fier
I've been using iTunes mostly because it is simple and works with my iPod. But I want to use a player that is lighter in terms of memory usage so I started using Foobar2000. I noticed that iTunes sounds a lot better than Foobar2000 when it has the Sound Enhancer on. In one of the songs, I can hear the background parts a lot better than in Foobar.

Is there any sort of Sound Enhancer like iTunes in Foobar? I like using Foobar because it uses less memory so I can run other programs but the fact that I can't hear the background parts well bothers me.

Thanks.

EDIT: Okay so now for some reason In itunes I cant hear that same background part even with the sound enhancer on.. its perfectly clear when I have headphones on but through my speakers its just not there..

May 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 7
using foobar with the wasapi output setting (which basically put, is a way of output that sort of bypasses a lot of the computers "guts" to cut out "noise" and should be bit-perfect, or as close to it as possible) should theoretically sound better than itunes.  though, with all effects off on both players and using the default output on foobar rather than wasapi,  most people cant tell much of a difference between itunes and foobar, and even if they can its pretty minimal, or all in their head.

i personally just use foobar with wasapi and dont bother trying to split hairs figureing out if anything else will sound better.  Though depending on who sees this thread and decides to respond, you could have a hot debate/flame war on your hands. 
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 7
WOW

I didnt even know Vista could bypass all of the internals..

Im guessing its a seperate line inside the hardware that doesnt go through all of the other wires to avoid interference..

thanks.

May 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 7
i dont know the details of how it works, but when i try foobar with wasapi as opposed to its normal way of output ( i dont remember what thats called)  i do indeed notice an improvement in a way that i would guess is more along the "generally noticeable" line as opposed to the you'd have to have bionic ears, or be part alien to be able to tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back