Focal Utopia vs. HIFIMAN HE1000
Nov 21, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #136 of 146
you could try dialing down the exaggeration while you're at it :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #138 of 146
Hey everyone! It's time for noob questions :wink:
I mostly listen to metal and neoprog AND classical.
All I have is a Beyer T90 coupled with iFi Micro BL. I like this setup but I think it could be much better. The problem is that sometimes I cannot pinpoint instruments easily. Especially cymbals in metal. They get lost. I want to hear every splash from the beginning to the end with lots of clarity without the interference of other instruments. EDIT: I feel like some glue is poured into the music. The sound has viscosity and instruments mix together.

From what I've read in this thread, it seems that Utopia is what I look for. But I also like to have a wide soundstage (I think it helps instrument separation, am I right?), so I consider HEKV2 too.
I'm planning to drive them with iFi Pro iDSD.
Which one do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #139 of 146
Hey everyone! It's time for noob questions :wink:
I mostly listen to metal and neoprog AND classical.
All I have is a Beyer T90 coupled with iFi Micro BL. I like this setup but I think it could be much better. The problem is that sometimes I cannot pinpoint instruments easily. Especially cymbals in metal. They get lost. I want to hear every splash from the beginning to the end with lots of clarity without the interference of other instruments. EDIT: I feel like some glue is poured into the music. The sound has viscosity and instruments mix together.

From what I've read in this thread, it seems that Utopia is what I look for. But I also like to have a wide soundstage (I think it helps instrument separation, am I right?), so I consider HEKV2 too.
I'm planning to drive them with iFi Pro iDSD.
Which one do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
I personally much prefer my HE1000v2 compared to the Utopia I had as an all around player; but the Utopia will sound more dynamic especially with cymbal attack on drums for heavier rock/ metal.

I listen to a lot of progressive rock myself, nothing too heavy mind you, so I sold my Utopia and downgraded to Clears which are relegated to classic rock, and less well mastered content.

I think you’d be very happy with Utopia in this case, the only drawback is that for classical it sounds a little too closed in for my liking.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 13, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #142 of 146
I listened to all of them last week and was underwhelmed by the Utopia (I own the Elear & SC). To my ears it sounded more like a drummer’s studio monitor. Clean as a whistle but waaaay too airy & light sounding.
The headband is also massive and the entire headphone would not have enough clamping force for anyone without a M/L - L head.
Bass is VERY subdued. Vocals & mids are obviously heavenly (representative of a £3k headphone)
Compared to the HE-1000, I personally would choose the Hifiman all day long.
The X-Edition was more of a competition for the Utopia. Very similar sounding.

4AF28B17-3445-4808-90FA-F21B85C7E30E.jpeg

Dec 13, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #143 of 146
i hear the utopia as balanced across the frequency range. i appreciate the well padded headband clad in soft leather, and that the headphone doesn't exert excessive clamping pressure on my average sized noggin.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #144 of 146
I listened to all of them last week and was underwhelmed by the Utopia (I own the Elear & SC). To my ears it sounded more like a drummer’s studio monitor. Clean as a whistle but waaaay too airy & light sounding.
The headband is also massive and the entire headphone would not have enough clamping force for anyone without a M/L - L head.
Bass is VERY subdued. Vocals & mids are obviously heavenly (representative of a £3k headphone)
Compared to the HE-1000, I personally would choose the Hifiman all day long.
The X-Edition was more of a competition for the Utopia. Very similar sounding.

If the Utopia's bass seems subdued it's probably due to something in your upstream gear. You shoud be hearing clean, accurate and balanced bass, or maybe you simply prefer the laid-back presentation of planar magnectic headphones.

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #145 of 146
If the Utopia's bass seems subdued it's probably due to something in your upstream gear. You shoud be hearing clean, accurate and balanced bass, or maybe you simply prefer the laid-back presentation of planar magnectic headphones.
Was running the Chord HugoTT2/M Scaler.
The bass was there but the whole presentation was not as enveloping or musical as the LCD-4. Just more disconnected, clinical and airy. The fit was not right for me, for sure. My head is far too small for the Utopia.

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #146 of 146
i liked the lcd4's sound signature when i auditioned it but it's a massive headphone imo. its weight was a deal breaker for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back