Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Jul 6, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #992 of 1,972
I am quite happy with my two Double Duets from Crystal Cable 😎

However, an investment of this kind should be carefully considered and is only recommended if you know that the headphone will be with you for a very long time.
(Because consistency in his choice of model is not for everyone)
And both will have with me longer their home👍

7102EE12-569B-41AD-9E67-8B8AC7400CCC.jpeg

359FFF31-0AA4-4B95-BBEB-05FF55E11991.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #993 of 1,972
The stock cable sound is fine to my ears but is stiff, with poor ergonomics. Planning on an aftermarket upgrade soon.

Jul 6, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #994 of 1,972
Worth auditioning given the price of quality cables and sound perception

I have a danacable LR+ but at a more affordable point you could look at the moon audio black dragon?

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #995 of 1,972
Moon audio makes some nice cables I have those also. Used them exclusively until I got my Danacables. If moon audio does a hybrid version of there cables that could be a great lowers prices option.

Don’t forget you can always find danacables used for Utopias.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #996 of 1,972
Cardas Clear is glued onto my Utopia 22! great pairing imo. well priced too.

Jul 6, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #997 of 1,972
As I've just done some comparisons to a couple other cables (on headphones other than the Utopia 2022), here's a brain dump of my current thoughts on the Lazuli Reference Plus.

The summary is that the LRP is more dynamic, has deeper and punchier bass, more extended treble, better separation, detail, texture and depth than any cables I own or have tried recently. Ie, its technicalities are outstanding.

These are the cables I compared it to:

Arctic Cables Signum and Wireworld Nano Platinum Eclipse on the Susvara (I connect the LRP to the Susvara using an AffinityAdapters adapter). The Arctic Cables and Wireworld cables sound quite similar to each other. The LRP distinguishes itself noticeably compared to the other two in the ways summarized above, though in general, I find cable differences on the Susvara to be pretty subtle (which might just be me). The now long discontinued Wireworld cable, however, wins on treble sweetness and smoothness.

Norne Drausk, Norne Skollvar v2, Norne Vykari v2 on the Verite Closed (I connect the LRP to the VC using an AffinityAdapters adapter here, as well). The Drausk is a decent but typical sounding all-copper cable. The Skollvar (which like the LRP is also copper + silver) is one step better in all the qualities I listed at the top of the post (dynamics, bass extension, treble extension, separation, detail, etc). The Vykari (which is also copper + silver and lists for over $1000 for 6 feet, FYI) is one step better still, and is a good combination of full-bodied sound and good technicalities. The LRP is two steps better still than the Vykari. To put things schematically. Also, not unrelatedly, each is in turn less warm than the next. In terms of brightness, the three Norne cables don't vary much, but the LRP is one whole step brighter in the upper-mids/lower treble. The LRP has a notably wider soundstage than the Vykari. The LRP is the last piece of the puzzle in my signal chain which elevates the Verite Closed's sound to being worth considering as "flagship"-worthy.

"With all that being said", the LRP can be a little on the intense side, IMO, especially for the Utopia/Nutopia. And it's brighter than you'd expect from a cable that has "Lazuli Reference" as part of its name (which I've mentioned a couple times before). Which is I think the main thing to consider (along with its stiffness and weight). I have a feeling I might like the Vykari v2 more than the LRP on the Nutopia for much though not all of my listening, especially for "passive" listening. Same goes for the Verite Closed. But for acoustic jazz, where for me, technicalities win over tonality, it's the LRP all the way. On the Susvara, the LRP may be the best I've used out of around 7 or 8 different cables.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #998 of 1,972
As I've just done some comparisons to a couple other cables (on headphones other than the Utopia 2022), here's a brain dump of my current thoughts on the Lazuli Reference Plus.

The summary is that the LRP is more dynamic, has deeper and punchier bass, more extended treble, better separation, detail, texture and depth than any cables I own or have tried recently. Ie, its technicalities are outstanding.

These are the cables I compared it to:

Arctic Cables Signum and Wireworld Nano Platinum Eclipse on the Susvara (I connect the LRP to the Susvara using an AffinityAdapters adapter). The Arctic Cables and Wireworld cables sound quite similar to each other. The LRP distinguishes itself noticeably compared to the other two in the ways summarized above, though in general, I find cable differences on the Susvara to be pretty subtle (which might just be me). The now long discontinued Wireworld cable, however, wins on treble sweetness and smoothness.

Norne Drausk, Norne Skollvar v2, Norne Vykari v2 on the Verite Closed (I connect the LRP to the VC using an AffinityAdapters adapter here, as well). The Drausk is a decent but typical sounding all-copper cable. The Skollvar (which like the LRP is also copper + silver) is one step better in all the qualities I listed at the top of the post (dynamics, bass extension, treble extension, separation, detail, etc). The Vykari (which is also copper + silver and lists for over $1000 for 6 feet, FYI) is one step better still, and is a good combination of full-bodied sound and good technicalities. The LRP is two steps better still than the Vykari. To put things schematically. Also, not unrelatedly, each is in turn less warm than the next. In terms of brightness, the three Norne cables don't vary much, but the LRP is one whole step brighter in the upper-mids/lower treble. The LRP has a notably wider soundstage than the Vykari. The LRP is the last piece of the puzzle in my signal chain which elevates the Verite Closed's sound to being worth considering as "flagship"-worthy.

"With all that being said", the LRP can be a little on the intense side, IMO, especially for the Utopia/Nutopia. And it's brighter than you'd expect from a cable that has "Lazuli Reference" as part of its name (which I've mentioned a couple times before). Which is I think the main thing to consider (along with its stiffness and weight). I have a feeling I might like the Vykari v2 more than the LRP on the Nutopia for much though not all of my listening, especially for "passive" listening. Same goes for the Verite Closed. But for acoustic jazz, where for me, technicalities win over tonality, it's the LRP all the way. On the Susvara, the LRP may be the best I've used out of around 7 or 8 different cables.
Great post @llamaluv. I am awaiting a Vykari 2 for Utopia 2022 and will offer some thoughts, hopefully soon.

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #999 of 1,972
Hi All
I‘m looking to buy a Heimdall 2 for my Utopia 2022. Or a Silver Dragon Premium V3 that’s XLR. If you’re looking to move yours on please PM me. I’m ready to go. With the stock cable the headphone is certainly deeply impressive, but adding the Cardas Clear took it to captivating. I’m after the Heimdall 2 as I love that cable with my Stellia.
Cheers
Mick

Jul 17, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #1,001 of 1,972
Hello folks. I am wondering if anyone sporting the Utopia 2022's also own the Meze Elites and enjoys both in different ways. I love my '22's to bits. They're here to stay of course. But curious about adding very good headphones that present differently for the sake of variety. Possibly a bit more of a relaxed sound profile that could work with less than perfect record productions. I have an opportunity to buy the Elites used, at a price substantially below RRP.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #1,003 of 1,972
Hello folks. I am wondering if anyone sporting the Utopia 2022's also own the Meze Elites and enjoys both in different ways. I love my '22's to bits. They're here to stay of course. But curious about adding very good headphones that present differently for the sake of variety. Possibly a bit more of a relaxed sound profile that could work with less than perfect record productions. I have an opportunity to buy the Elites used, at a price substantially below RRP.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Get one of the T+A Solitaire P headphones that are on the classifieds. imo they make a good complement to the U22, offering a warmer and slightly darker sound.

Jul 22, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #1,004 of 1,972
Just picked up the Utopia 2022s. What are the thoughts on a good cable for it? Looking to spend around $600 or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back