Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Aug 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #736 of 1,765

I live in Russia, so as I said earlier, warranty politics and returns here are just words - if something breaks - it's ALWAYS your fault and you should fix it by yourself (mostly with adhesive tape and rude language :) )

Sorry to hear that... unfortunately the headband construction does seem subpar. Which is really unfortunate...

BTW: working as a sound engineer I can only speak for applying enough tape in case of a problem -- one would not believe how many parties would not take place without duct tape :wink: Take a look at the 'Engineering Flowchart':
http://www.cyclelicio.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/flowchart.jpg

It should obviously have markings 'rude language' as well... as that sometimes does indeed help with problems :wink:

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #737 of 1,765
Honestly, the are are some durable headband designs out there, and most of them are pretty inexpensive to implement (and available on cheaper headphones). I wonder if the Spirit Classics have headband issues, is it just a spirit pro style headband with leather wrapped around it?

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #738 of 1,765
I really hope Focal is working on a FSP S or some updated model that addressess the build quality and comfort issues. I will buy the updated and also keep my old one too if this happens. I would like think it's only a matter of time before enough complaints reach them not to mention returns and warranty repairs.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #739 of 1,765
  I really hope Focal is working on a FSP S or some updated model that addressess the build quality and comfort issues. I will buy the updated and also keep my old one too if this happens. I would like think it's only a matter of time before enough complaints reach them not to mention returns and warranty repairs.

On the FSP product page, people post their thoughts and the company even responds in the comments.

Unfortunately, it looks like revisions are not currently planned:

I've been wondering lately, do you plan to release a updated version of Spirit pro(like One S)?? With better build and more durable plastic? because of that cracks on the both sides of the headband i can't be satisfied for 100% :frowning2:
I mean the sound is perfect, but the cracking plastic (or the way how the cans are connected with the headband)is not.

This is not planned for the moment even if we are taking into account of our customer's feedbacks to improve our products. Our products are regularly improved, but there is no new version of Spirit Pro planned for the moment.
However, if you encounter an issue with your headphones, I invite to contact back your dealer who should be able to help you.

The most ironic thing is this, from the same page:

Resistance and optimal comfort

On average, users tend to use headphones for extended periods of time, so we purposely focused our efforts on making Spirit Professional as comfortable as possible by using large memory-foam ear cushions which surround the whole ear as well as spread and minimise the amount of pressure felt by the user.

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #741 of 1,765
Wow I must say these headphones have become amazingly comfortable now. Clamping force is perfect and the earpads have moulded very well to my ears resulting in excellent comfort while still maintaining great isolation. The main change I've noticed with the sound is the soundstage seems to have increased from when I first got it. It's become quite wide and very natural sounding for a closed back IMO. I especially love how laid back and fatigue free the listening experience is compared with my other cans. When ya wanna just kick back and relax to some music these headphones do a fantastic job!

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #742 of 1,765
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone as a source, how does the Focal Spirit Pro sound off a portable source? Does it require an amp, or are the headphones enough for portable use like the Sennheiser Momentum?

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #743 of 1,765
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone as a source, how does the Focal Spirit Pro sound off a portable source? Does it require an amp, or are the headphones enough for portable use like the Sennheiser Momentum?

I think the spirit pros sound pretty good straight out of the S5. I usually have the volume around 10/15 for most tracks so the phone definitely has enough juice to power them. I use the default music player and everything sounds pretty clear, smooth and even from top to bottom. If I'm feeling like more of a fun sound I'll use poweramp, the spirit pros seem to respond quite well to the bass and treble eq. Overall I find it a nice laid back, non-fatiguing sound that I quite enjoy.

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #744 of 1,765
I am interested in picking up a pair of these phones'.

Is there a consensus as to their build quality problems? I may rather wait for the next generation of models given that durability is really important to me. Only my sennheisers have proven to take a beating over time. I don't feel like paying $350 bucks only to snap the headband. I don't think my ears are very large either, but I've never actually measured them.

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #745 of 1,765

Is there a consensus as to their build quality problems? I may rather wait for the next generation of models given that durability is really important to me. Only my sennheisers have proven to take a beating over time. I don't feel like paying $350 bucks only to snap the headband. I don't think my ears are very large either, but I've never actually measured them.

I've had mine for a few months and so far so good. The only possible place i see it breaking is the underside of the headband where theres a couple of screws on each side holding the the plastic cover on. I have a large head so i wear them with the earcups fully extended and when stretched out the plastic does seperate a little bit from the headband so theres definitely a fair bit of stress being applied to the screws. They get used everyday and i dont see any signs that they will break anytime soon. From what i can tell pretty much everything is made of metal apart from the plastic headband cover so even if it does crack they'll be useable.

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #746 of 1,765
Mine fell apart after only 24 days of at-home use. I won't try another Focal unless they change the design.

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #749 of 1,765

Get out a ruler and go to the mirror :)  Better know exactly how big your ears are before you shell out $350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back