Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Nov 9, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #1,651 of 1,765
If you want a closed headphone that can compete with open headphones in terms of 'openness' and soundstage whilst retaining the body and weight of a closed headphone then check out the Beyer DT150.

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #1,653 of 1,765
DT150 can compete which open headphone? Some says the low mid is weird.

can 'compete' with any I would have thought Don't know what you're referring to regards the mids no Beyer recess although that's always exaggerated. I suppose 'best' open headphones I have/ had in my limited experience are 990pro and PS500. Better than Grado IMO equal but different ie warmer to BeyerDT990. The Focal Classics are on a par. No match for soundstage of DT150 though which has the best I've heard open or closed.

A classic and a bargain.

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #1,654 of 1,765
can 'compete' with any I would have thought Don't know what you're referring to replace the mids no Beyer recess although that's always exaggerated. I suppose 'best' open headphones I have/ had in my limited experience are 990pro and PS500. Better than Grado IMO equal but different ie warmer to BeyerDT990. The Focal Classics are on a par. No match for soundstage of DT150 though which has the best I've heard open or closed.

A classic and a bargain.

I have been looking at DT150 and do you remember if the bass is excessive or just right?

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,655 of 1,765
Just right for me. Strong but doesn't intrude and only when music requires it. MASSIVE sounding headphone in every sense. Only sold because got the Sprit Classic couldnt justify both.

A couple of good threads about the 150 already. This isn't one!

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #1,658 of 1,765
Hey guys, long time lurker, 1st time poster here. I've gone through 2 pairs of FSPs since January this year. I use them for music production and mixing, and they are by far the best studio headphones I've ever owned. HOWEVER, I returned the first pair after a few months due to cracks in the headband. The replacement pair now has the exact same problem!

I went to a store today to try out some potential alternatives and I listened to the HRM7s, the DT770s, and the SRH840s. For me, the SRH840s lacked in separation, stereo image and clarity, and the HRM7s and DT770s were very very similar. The HRM7s were a little clearer with better instrument separation, a wider and deeper stereo image, although slightly less punchy. The build quality was good and they were the most comfortable by far. They were my favourite of the three, but they are also absolutely massive and not portable at all, which kind of makes me lean more towards the 770s.

The Focal Spirit Pros sound better than all of them imo - the stereo image isn't as wide compared to the HRM7s or the 770s but they are very noticeably clearer, punchier, and flatter, although I may well be biased as they are all I've listened to for almost a year. Unfortunately they are still very uncomfortable and the headband of the demo pair in the shop was showing cracks on the headband in exactly the same place as my previous two pairs, so on that basis I think they are still a no go for me.

I've had a look through this thread but it's quite hard to wade through and find the information I'm looking for - can anyone recommend a good, closed back studio headphone that is as flat as possible, and that actually stands up to the clarity and neutrality of the FSP? 

Apologies for the essay!

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #1,659 of 1,765
If looking for studio purpose, auditions is your best choice.

Hey guys, long time lurker, 1st time poster here. I've gone through 2 pairs of FSPs since January this year. I use them for music production and mixing, and they are by far the best studio headphones I've ever owned. HOWEVER, I returned the first pair after a few months due to cracks in the headband. The replacement pair now has the exact same problem!

I went to a store today to try out some potential alternatives and I listened to the HRM7s, the DT770s, and the SRH840s. For me, the SRH840s lacked in separation, stereo image and clarity, and the HRM7s and DT770s were very very similar. The HRM7s were a little clearer with better instrument separation, a wider and deeper stereo image, although slightly less punchy. The build quality was good and they were the most comfortable by far. They were my favourite of the three, but they are also absolutely massive and not portable at all, which kind of makes me lean more towards the 770s.

The Focal Spirit Pros sound better than all of them imo - the stereo image isn't as wide compared to the HRM7s or the 770s but they are very noticeably clearer, punchier, and flatter, although I may well be biased as they are all I've listened to for almost a year. Unfortunately they are still very uncomfortable and the headband of the demo pair in the shop was showing cracks on the headband in exactly the same place as my previous two pairs, so on that basis I think they are still a no go for me.

I've had a look through this thread but it's quite hard to wade through and find the information I'm looking for - can anyone recommend a good, closed back studio headphone that is as flat as possible, and that actually stands up to the clarity and neutrality of the FSP? 

Apologies for the essay!

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #1,660 of 1,765
My HD650 is making me sell my Focal Spirit Pro, it can't catch up tbh. The 650 stomps the Focal Spirit Pro in every way possible tbh 
ph34r.gif

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #1,663 of 1,765

Apologies for the essay!

when i bought my FSP it was against these and the oppo pm3's

the pms a touch less neutral as a little more lively - ie not quite as laid back as the FSP and perhaps a touch bright in that

but detail was a touch ahead of the fsp on the other hand

what about the nad viso hp 50 - definitely worth a look/listen for neutrality

and perhaps the soundmagic hp150 - but don't quote me on that one as i'm working from memory on what i read only

for me the fsp is the best fit with the least compromise of what i was after as my "traveller" (the hd800s stay at home)

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #1,664 of 1,765

when i bought my FSP it was against these and the oppo pm3's

the pms a touch less neutral as a little more lively - ie not quite as laid back as the FSP and perhaps a touch bright in that

but detail was a touch ahead of the fsp on the other hand

what about the nad viso hp 50 - definitely worth a look/listen for neutrality

and perhaps the soundmagic hp150 - but don't quote me on that one as i'm working from memory on what i read only

for me the fsp is the best fit with the least compromise of what i was after as my "traveller" (the hd800s stay at home)

I just tried out the PM3s actually, and I was very impressed. They are close, but not quite as flat and a bit more 'fun'. I also tried the SRH1540 which was better in every single way but the frequency response has boosted bass and treble, with scooped out mids. It's not massively off, but it is noticeable. I'm going a bit mad now.

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,665 of 1,765

DT150 and there is a real low price you can get it than on Amazon.

Yes there are people who prefer them to the HD600/ 650. 

They are closer in tone to the Spirit Classic (and HD600 ?) and therefore not as neutral as the Pro. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back