Focal Spirit One Headphones
Oct 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 323
beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #17 of 323
As someone who is about to spend a lot more time with closed headphones (new baby due next April), I for one am excited about all these new closed headphones coming out. I'll probably sell off some of my open (and therefore useless for a while) headphones and pick up some more closed models: PSB M4U 2, AKG K550, these Focals, W3000ANV, V-MODA M100 and Crossfade LP2.... and some more customs of course. 

I do think there is a lot of money to be made at the moment. Think about it - how many folks do you know in the market for mid-high end speakers right now? How about folks in the market for a $200-400 pair of headphones? 

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #18 of 323

Quote:
As someone who is about to spend a lot more time with closed headphones (new baby due next April), I for one am excited about all these new closed headphones coming out. I'll probably sell off some of my open (and therefore useless for a while) headphones and pick up some more closed models: PSB M4U 2, AKG K550, these Focals, W3000ANV, V-MODA M100 and Crossfade LP2.... and some more customs of course. 

I do think there is a lot of money to be made at the moment. Think about it - how many folks do you know in the market for mid-high end speakers right now? How about folks in the market for a $200-400 pair of headphones? 

Congratulations on the new upcoming baby!!  The AKGK550 maybe, but I'm not sure about the Focal. The GMP 8.35 are great option and no amp or DAC needed, I also like the Sony CD-3000 as close design.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #20 of 323

Quote:
I hope all these big time speaker manufacturers create a good OPEN headphone.

There are really good open headphones already, haven't found any? 

I'll be on the look for this focal new headphones. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #21 of 323

Quote:
Congratulations on the new upcoming baby!!  The AKGK550 maybe, but I'm not sure about the Focal. The GMP 8.35 are great option and no amp or DAC needed, I also like the Sony CD-3000 as close design.

Thanks! It's exciting.

I forgot about those GMP 8.35s, and I might indeed give them a try one day, along with the 450 Pro. I still need to figure out if the rebranded models are the same as the GMP versions. I've seen Icon, dbi, and Charter Oak versions and I'm not clear how they compare. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #22 of 323

Quote:
Thanks! It's exciting.

I forgot about those GMP 8.35s, and I might indeed give them a try one day, along with the 450 Pro. I still need to figure out if the rebranded models are the same as the GMP versions. I've seen Icon, dbi, and Charter Oak versions and I'm not clear how they compare. 

In some point Fry's had the 8.35 for sale http://www.head-fi.org/t/527777/maestro-8-35d-frys-now-available-in-us-for-the-first-time, not sure if today they still there. The dbi are cheap but the drivers are not quite the same as the 8.35. The Oak looks the same hps. I know the CD-3000 are a bit expensive, but worth a try out.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #24 of 323
Quite a gushing review of recommendation. Let's see how it performs in real life. I have Focal studio monitors personally and know their hifi-sound (which I dislike). French very often give very high praise to French gear. Waiting for Tyll's measurements :)

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #25 of 323
i have focal components in my diesel truck! they sound beautiful, i wonder how these cans are gonna sound, i found this after  a little searching, it shows march as being the release date.
http://www.modia.com/Focal_SPIRIT_ONE_p/spiritone.htm

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #26 of 323
Quite a gushing review of recommendation. Let's see how it performs in real life. I have Focal studio monitors personally and know their hifi-sound (which I dislike). French very often give very high praise to French gear. Waiting for Tyll's measurements :)

I am curious as to which Focal monitors you own that you refer to as hifi sounding, maybe I misunderstood? Focals are known to be one of the most accurate monitors around that many professionals rely on. When I've hear the CMS65s at a friend's studio I was blown away, if not for the price, I would absolutely use them as desktop speakers for regular listening.

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #27 of 323
I want to see measurements for these too.  There are a lot of interesting phones out/coming out right now, but I need some closed phones and I'm not one willing to spend obscene amounts on headphones.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #28 of 323
I got the chance to try these out today at a local high-fi exibition. Just a quick 15 minute test with a rather new pair so it might not be a fair test.

Compared to AKG K550:

In general: more comfortable headband, much better cable, a plus for the remote, good accessories (hardcase), comparable build quality

SQ compared to the K550: The Focals are darker voiced and they sound veiled, not the airy "Focal sound" I had hoped for...

All in all they left me wanting more, so it's a 
cool.gif
 as they cost more or less as much as the K550. I'd guess they'll be a good choice if you plan to take them outside of your home often.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #30 of 323

Agree these are going to be an alternative to the K550 and B&W P5 - well equipped for the travelling type - they don't sound too bad,
 bit glarey compared to the K550, not quite as airey but they're smaller cans - build quality is so-so but I think many will sell if the price ends
 up being under $320 down under,.

Bassheads stay away - these will not quench your thirst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back