Focal Listen Impressions and Review
Jun 27, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #211 of 226
...or $300 headphones used to be better 10 years ago.

Focal headphones are pretty expensive for what they are. The listen is just a plastic headphone... a really nice one from my point of view but far too expensive for what it is.
The actual price in europe is arround 110/120 euros but it was 250 euros at start ! It was really crazy... come on guys, it's made in China...

Others brands like Final for exemple use what I call the "better quality / lower technicity" strategy in their product. Years ago it was possible to buy from them a basic looking product with a great armature driver in it, so an expensive to produce item with a fair sale price. Now they replace these products with some much better looking product but with some really basic dynamic drivers in it. Low production cost, high sale value, far better profitability ! I'm not sure I'll pay more than 350 euros for two $3 dynamic drivers...

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #212 of 226
I have had Focal Listen for over a week now and I'm ejoying it's balanced, slightly W-shaped sound. I like the Listen more than Takstar Pro 82 and few other Chinese headphones I own. Pro 82 has much wider soundstage but an artificial (metallic) sounding treble and distant sounding vocals. The sound of Pro 82 also gets a little muffled in fast paced songs. Ergonomically Pro 82 is much better though.

I paid ~140€ for Listen and for that price it is a gem.

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #213 of 226
Watching a submarine movie on Netflix.
Yes, a French one - why do you ask?

20190625_213226.jpg

Nov 16, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #215 of 226
I see a used pair that I'd like to pick up for travel, study, and gaming. I liked the pin point accuracy of the ER4S when I used to game with those years ago. Sure, the sound stage was average on those but the accuracy of the positioning was top notch. So how "average" is the sound stage on them? (I love sound stage but I find it messes with positional audio).

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #216 of 226
had some trouble finding information on replacement pads for my listens after one pad ripped open, ordered Brainwavz oval pads(m50x and the like) they do fit, although a bit lose, first impressions - sounds more spacious, not as intimate, seems like lost a bit bass and gained highs, I wouldnt say its good or bad just different, cant AB as the old pads are ruined.

in terms of quality old pads seem good so i dont think there is reason to upgrade to pleather pads if theres nothing wrong with them, but, as you can use those oval pads on many other headphones, they should be useful/easy to sell if you dont want to keep them.

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #217 of 226
This is going to be like necro posting but i plan to buy this headphone. It's about ~200 euros in my country(Turkey). I'm listen mostly to metal and i expect some bass from my headphones.If you guys have any other suggestions, I'd be very glad to hear them.

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #218 of 226
This is going to be like necro posting but i plan to buy this headphone. It's about ~200 euros in my country(Turkey). I'm listen mostly to metal and i expect some bass from my headphones.If you guys have any other suggestions, I'd be very glad to hear them.
there is metal thread here, you can check for more advice there.

while these are ok for metal i find beyer 770 and 990 better, and they are cheaper, but beyers arent really portable, unless you need to use headphone cable for self defense.

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #219 of 226
Sorry to resurrect a necro thread quickly:
Focal Listen original is $100 USD here at the moment. Been looking for a good closed wired headphone for work use at low volume levels.
Is this still a good can? Would love to hear from long-time users.

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #220 of 226
Sorry to resurrect a necro thread quickly:
Focal Listen original is $100 USD here at the moment. Been looking for a good closed wired headphone for work use at low volume levels.
Is this still a good can? Would love to hear from long-time users.
I'd say go for it. Especially at that price, it's outstanding. I haven't used mine in a while solely because I'm not commuting anymore, but never stopped liking them even after buying $1800 cans.

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #221 of 226
I'd say go for it. Especially at that price, it's outstanding. I haven't used mine in a while solely because I'm not commuting anymore, but never stopped liking them even after buying $1800 cans.
Oh nice!!! If I may ask though....what stands out to you about them? Some of the info in this thread may be a little outdated in the current HP landscape. Would love to get a grasp on why you love them personally if you had the time :)

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #222 of 226
Oh nice!!! If I may ask though....what stands out to you about them? Some of the info in this thread may be a little outdated in the current HP landscape. Would love to get a grasp on why you love them personally if you had the time :)
I got them when I was looking for an upgrade to my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, where the fake leather started disintegrating after two years (blue/copper edition may have something to do with that). The Focal have held up much better, even the thin cable survived several rough disconnects that killed multiple Kabeldirekt TRS cables (which only fit when unscrewing the plug cap - finding replacement cables for the Focal Listen isn't easy because of the locking mechanism leaving only a thin channel).

They sound as clear as the M50x, but have more bass, and are more efficient, so a regular smartphone is happy to drive them to louder than comfortable levels (well, back when they still had headphone jacks...). With the M50x, boosting the bass on the LG G4's equalizer decreased everything else because I was at max volume - not enough power. The Listen still benefit from better gear, though (more on that below).

Both the Focal Listen and the Meze 99 Classics would have been an upgrade over the M50x, fixing the bass deficiency and slight harshness of the M50x. But while the 99 Classics look much fancier, the Listen got me hooked with their incredible imaging. I didn't even know what imaging was until I described that to the guy in the audio store. Each instrument has a clear, concise source, rather than coming from a broad area in the sound stage. Pin-point accuracy - also happens to be great in VR for that reason. Experiencing that imaging turned me into a full blown audiophile, I got curious what else I had been missing out on all this time, and the original $250 price tag of the Listen quickly changed from "a bit pricey" to "super affordable" in my mind.

Comfort could be better. After wearing them for an hour or so I get a hot spot on the top of my head, but that's easy to fix by rolling them forward or back a bit. The earpads are a bit small, but good enough, unlike the M50x's which I had to make thicker with some cotton balls to prevent my left ear from hurting a lot after a while. Still, I switched to the bigger BRAINWAVZ Sheepskin Ear Pads on the Listen. They increase the sound stage nicely, at the expense of a bit of bass. This is reversible, no glue involved.

Always looking to upgrade, I compared them to the Dan Clark Audio / MrSpeakers ÆON Closed (the first one) and really struggled to hear a difference. I always hesitate to mention that, surely an $800 planar should blow them out of the water - well, not with my phone at the time, nor with the Chord Mojo they used, at least to my ears with my limited experience at the time.
However, the ÆON is definitely more comfortable and arguably looks better, but it's also harder to drive and less portable. I could imagine the ÆON 2 or ÆON 2 Noire to be more obviously superior, but I have not heard them. They ÆON 2 certainly pulled much closer in terms of portability.

The Ether C Flow on the other hand is definitely better. A cleaner, more authoritative and refined sound, more resolving, and more comfortable (while even less portable than the ÆON). But as mentioned, they haven't soured me on the Focal Listen.

The Sennheiser HD 660S sounded like an open version of the Focal Listen to me. Similar tonal balance, but the HD 660S has a bigger sound stage. With music, the HD 660's graininess bugs me, but for movies they are great. With the Focal Listen I can hear some graininess, but it doesn't bug me too much. It's better with good, low noise gear, but planars reign supreme in that regard. However, a beefy tube amp from Woo Audio had quite a bit of audible noise with the Listen (too sensitive), and one amp that Focal used at a show ironically did as well. So some amps just are too noisy for them, bear that in mind.

Just to finish this off, the microphone in the cable is pretty mediocre and the button is easy to press accidentally.

A co-worker asked me to recommend some headphones, and I just gave him the Listen to try. He really liked them and bought a pair for himself and says he loves them.
I also showed the M50x to an acquaintance, and she was impressed by the clarity. Then I let her use the Focal Listen and her eyes lit up even more, she definitely noticed the increase in bass. No idea whether she actually bought them eventually, though. :)

Feb 6, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #223 of 226
@Alcophone Such a great reply! Thanks so much for laying that all out.
I am similarly a fan of the M50x....not the most flawless headphone sonically but it’s like a swiss army knife, does everything I throw at it from gaming to conference to music on a whim. Although I did have my headband disintegrate and the earpads don't last very long.
Thanks for that comparison, it definitely helps and I will give the Listen a try!! If I experience headband discomfort there's always the 280 headband mod. 2/3 price cut is too good to pass up I reckon, especially on a Focal.

Some comments on the spiky treble have almost scared me away but it seems that may be the price for exceptional imaging, among other things. I don't really have a bright pair so it would be nice to expand my collection with something a little less dark/veiled!

Feb 6, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #224 of 226
@AlcophoneSome comments on the spiky treble have almost scared me away but it seems that may be the price for exceptional imaging, among other things. I don't really have a bright pair so it would be nice to expand my collection with something a little less dark/veiled!
I find it more sparkly than harsh. Coming from the M50x, I don't think you have to worry about the treble. Looking forward to hearing your impressions! Hope you don't hate them. :wink:

Feb 14, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #225 of 226
Had these for nearly a week at this point, on major discount.
I strongly encourage potential buyers a proper sound test first, but
  • Headband is indeed uncomfortable. Definitely feel it but I need to do more long-term testing.
  • Earpads and clamp pressure fare much better. If you're used to studio 'phones these are fine
  • These are very pretty cans! Spectacular looks in person, that chrome plating is gorgeous
  • Excellent isolation. Only thing that beats it in my experience is the HD 280 Pro
  • Light on head, no worries about weight at all @ around 280g

EDIT: Removed my sound impressions. I was pretty harsh on these coming from more consumer-tuned headphones and I want to give these a proper run. I will say for now that the excellent midrange is the focus and you should absolutely look at these if that's your thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back