Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #3,047 of 6,742
Any recommended amplifier for the Elear within a budget of 600€?

It's so efficient you really don't need to go to OTT. I've used a Schiit Lyr 2 and Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon, both have been lovely.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #3,049 of 6,742
I have read nice things about the liquid carbon. However, they are way too expensive here in Europe...

Yeah, they really are, $800 is more than £650 nowadays, plus import tax, it's a good £800 to import them. Luckily I got my second gen one from eBay for a decent price.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #3,050 of 6,742
Uh, so the Focal Elear sounds better without an amp - at least when compared to the FiiO K6 and the FiiO E10K's integrated amp.

I noticed that it sounds clearer directly out of my Samsung Galaxy S6 than with the above amps. I just now plugged it into the line-out of the E10K (and was sure to lower the volume first! it is quite loud even at 18% in Windows right now), and, wow! The sound is both really powerful but still clear, and more detailed than I've noticed before. This is without using an EQ, of course. It also punches harder. Finally, the bass is very prominent, but neither boomy nor thumpy, and the sub-bass is there. It sounds GREAT at high volume, unlike with the amps (my EQ fixed that problem).

Maybe it is just the FiiO's amps ruining the sound. I'm not interested in getting another amp, as I've been skeptical of them from the start. What I'm hearing now is incredible, so no reason to waste money.

edited to add: Soooo happy to not feel the need to use an EQ!

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #3,052 of 6,742
They sound very much similar.

I've owned both, at the same time and I'd have to disagree. the 6XX is more neutral, has no peaks & is slightly veiled. The Elear has a lot more slam in the bass, much more of a sparkly high & recession in the mids.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #3,054 of 6,742
I've owned them together as well. Didn't find enough of an upgrade to justify elear. HD650 is also more comfortable.

Both are warm, mid centric, laid back highs. Elear soundstage was not better. HD650 has a mid bass bump like elear.

Not worth owning both for me, too similar and not my favorite overall sound sig.

Meh, I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #3,055 of 6,742
Uh, so the Focal Elear sounds better without an amp - at least when compared to the FiiO K6 and the FiiO E10K's integrated amp.

I noticed that it sounds clearer directly out of my Samsung Galaxy S6 than with the above amps. I just now plugged it into the line-out of the E10K (and was sure to lower the volume first! it is quite loud even at 18% in Windows right now), and, wow! The sound is both really powerful but still clear, and more detailed than I've noticed before. This is without using an EQ, of course. It also punches harder. Finally, the bass is very prominent, but neither boomy nor thumpy, and the sub-bass is there. It sounds GREAT at high volume, unlike with the amps (my EQ fixed that problem).

Maybe it is just the FiiO's amps ruining the sound. I'm not interested in getting another amp, as I've been skeptical of them from the start. What I'm hearing now is incredible, so no reason to waste money.

edited to add: Soooo happy to not feel the need to use an EQ!

There's amps and there's amps. I am the biggest sceptic of running high end phones from portable type amps but strap them into a proper desktop amp and there is (to most ears) a significant step up in SQ.

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #3,056 of 6,742
  I've owned them together as well. Didn't find enough of an upgrade to justify elear. HD650 is also more comfortable.

Both are warm, mid centric, laid back highs. Elear soundstage was not better. HD650 has a mid bass bump like elear.

Not worth owning both for me, too similar and not my favorite overall sound sig.

Sent my Elears back...totally underwhelmed by them....I enjoy my HD-600s far more

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #3,057 of 6,742

Sent my Elears back...totally underwhelmed by them....I enjoy my HD-600s far more

Well, then we agree on that part. They were not for me either. Not that they were bad sounding, but yeah underwhelmed would be the appropriate word choice...

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #3,058 of 6,742

Surprising. I had the HD650, a long time ago though, but don't remember these as being anywhere comparable to the Elear... very different sound IMO. HD650 were far more darker and not even close to kick like the Elear. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #3,059 of 6,742
Agree, had the 650, much less dynamic and exciting, and needs a good amp.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #3,060 of 6,742

I disagree.  I have the 650 and the Elear, and I put the 650 on the shelf.   After two weeks of the Elear I listened to them again for a few days, and they've been back on the shelf every since.
See what I'm wearin' now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back