Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #2,056 of 6,742
I heard a few subtle "cracks" on the left side during approximately the first 10 minutes of listening to my Elears. Didn´t listen at a particularly loud volume and no extreme bass. After that I have listened a lot for about a week now and not a single "crack" since. Could it be a break in thing?

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,057 of 6,742
  Hi there,

I'm interested in the Elear but this thing you've experienced worry me... you hear a "crack" when listening to a unmodified "bass-head" song or because you've played too much with EQ in bass department?

I only get it if I really crank them up.

Normal dynamic drivers, well all that i have heard before will start to distort when you drive them past their maximum power handling and they start to clip. These don't exactly distort, you just get a 'crack'.

I can listen to bass heavy tracks, or even a 'basshead' song. They produce excellent bass, quality and quantity but as with any driver they have a limit. When you go over that limit they crack.

EDIT: They are also more prone to 'crack' when they are off your head, the seal on your head must help to prevent them cracking.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,058 of 6,742
This isn't really very accurate but it will give you an idea of the capabilities of the Elear for bass. Anyone wanting to can do the same with another set of cans and compare.

I listened to this track

I turned the volume up just until the crack started then went down one click on the Mojo, no cracking just lots of bass. I played the first 35 ish seconds and stuck my phone microphone between the pad and my head, iPhone 7 plus.

Tried with 2 different apps. Recorded 108db peak, 104db average. Average would be a little more, it accounted for the low bits as I raised and lowered the phone from my head.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #2,059 of 6,742

I only get it if I really crank them up.

Normal dynamic drivers, well all that i have heard before will start to distort when you drive them past their maximum power handling and they start to clip. These don't exactly distort, you just get a 'crack'.

I can listen to bass heavy tracks, or even a 'basshead' song. They produce excellent bass, quality and quantity but as with any driver they have a limit. When you go over that limit they crack.

EDIT: They are also more prone to 'crack' when they are off your head, the seal on your head must help to prevent them cracking.

If you;re going to listen to bass heavy music on open type cans, you need to lower that whole EQ line down a good 5-10db, then tinker with the low end 80hz down just a tad like 3db or to your liking IMO. Then it won't make those horrendous crackles and distortions that can give someone a heart attack.

Now I know your Elears are in 'ANOTHER LEAGUE' than my poor 880.250, but with those adjustments, i can have my casual listening time, with a bit of a nice clean bass boost when listening to more bass heavy tracks, and though not getting basshead results obv :p, they are still satisfying for casual listening.

If you want slam, you need a second can. Closed, and lots of power to go past those limits. Whats the power handling on these badboys anyway?

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,060 of 6,742
  This isn't really very accurate but it will give you an idea of the capabilities of the Elear for bass. Anyone wanting to can do the same with another set of cans and compare.

I listened to this track

I turned the volume up just until the crack started then went down one click on the Mojo, no cracking just lots of bass. I played the first 35 ish seconds and stuck my phone microphone between the pad and my head, iPhone 7 plus.

Tried with 2 different apps. Recorded 108db peak, 104db average. Average would be a little more, it accounted for the low bits as I raised and lowered the phone from my head.

Bass tests on elear?

Now i've seen it all
tongue.gif

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2,061 of 6,742

Bass tests on elear?

Now i've seen it all
tongue.gif

I felt the need to clarify exactly what makes them 'crack', and how far they can be pushed.

I add zero EQ to these, to my ears they sounds perfect as they are, I don't need any extra bass. I do occasionally like to crank the volume up to high levels, I just want them to be able to produce the bass too. Which they do, without any need for EQ, in my opinion.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #2,062 of 6,742

I felt the need to clarify exactly what makes them 'crack', and how far they can be pushed.

I add zero EQ to these, to my ears they sounds perfect as they are, I don't need any extra bass. I do occasionally like to crank the volume up to high levels, I just want them to be able to produce the bass too. Which they do, without any need for EQ, in my opinion.

you know a lot of audiophiles have been admitting to love more bass with those Z1Rs
tongue.gif

i kid ofc. Its nice to see the Elear being able to compete at 1/2 cost.

i cannot find the power handling specs on these

do you know?

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #2,063 of 6,742

you know a lot of audiophiles have been admitting to love more bass with those Z1Rs
tongue.gif

do you know?

I think there is a tiny little basshead in all of us, that occationally makes an appearance
biggrin.gif

I have no idea how these would compare against the Z1Rs. The only specs i can find are the these

http://www.focal.com/headphones/docs/elear_specification-sheet.pdf

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #2,064 of 6,742

tongue.gif

do you know?

i currently have both Elear and Z1R. Got Z1R yesterday so can't comment on the sound a lot just can give initial impression and comparison. Haven't done side by side comparison but been listening to Elear for past 2 months and had a session with Z1R for couple of hours last evening.
where i think Elear compete very well and some times even better is mid Bass and transition to midrange hence has better lower midrange and has good speed, however Z1R has better overall vocals, lower treble and also goes little deep in bass. But one is open and other is closed plus it is $1300 extra. Only if the the lower treble of Elear is fixed with some mod it competes well with Z1R.
I will do side by side comparison its just based on my memory and 2 -3 hours of listening to Z1R so don't pay to much heed.
Would like to comfort as well. As soon as you put Z1R you feel they are way more comfortable then Elear and don't feel any weight or clamp at all. so Big thumbs up to Z1R on comfort.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #2,065 of 6,742
  Hi there,

I'm interested in the Elear but this thing you've experienced worry me... you hear a "crack" when listening to a unmodified "bass-head" song or because you've played too much with EQ in bass department?

I was feeding it from a vintage speaker amp (very high power) and when I added a touch of tone control (maybe 4db) it seemed to "bottom out".  Yes, the amp is a powerhouse but this same issue happened with a guy feeding it with a much lower power headphone amp.  It shouldn't have made the sound it did, as many other headphones I've tested (have auditioned or owned over 50 headphones) never did this.  It wasn't playing very loud either FYI. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #2,067 of 6,742
  I've been listening to my balanced cable for the big part of the day about 8 hours they are very different sounding over the stock cable which is a good cable also, The balanced gives more detail overall as well with a further extended treble and more bass impact and deeper with a nice smoothness.

The balanced cable surely performs better than the stock cable & looks much nicer, I can fully recommend trying a balanced cable for the Elear's i'm very pleased..enjoy

Here's where I got the cable if anyone wants to check it out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALANCED-OCC-Copper-Cable-FOCAL-Elear-Headphones-black-/172371724739?hash=item282227c9c3:g:LmkAAOSwZJBX~Uwc

I'm sorry to say that's not the case: your Eear aren't sounding better because of the balanced cable but because your amp (whatever it is) sound better in balanced mode VS single ended.
That's a fact, in a short run cable (up to 10+mt I'd say) single ended VS balanced is the same unless amp designer screwed something.
Ask Chord and Burson why they won't go balanced. But it seems balanced is the trend, so if you don't design a balanced amp you're second division/league...

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #2,068 of 6,742
i currently have both Elear and Z1R. Got Z1R yesterday so can't comment on the sound a lot just can give initial impression and comparison. Haven't done side by side comparison but been listening to Elear for past 2 months and had a session with Z1R for couple of hours last evening.
where i think Elear compete very well and some times even better is mid Bass and transition to midrange hence has better lower midrange and has good speed, however Z1R has better overall vocals, lower treble and also goes little deep in bass. But one is open and other is closed plus it is $1300 extra. Only if the the lower treble of Elear is fixed with some mod it competes well with Z1R.
I will do side by side comparison its just based on my memory and 2 -3 hours of listening to Z1R so don't pay to much heed.
Would like to comfort as well. As soon as you put Z1R you feel they are way more comfortable then Elear and don't feel any weight or clamp at all. so Big thumbs up to Z1R on comfort.

I heard both as well and had a very hard time with the price over the elears its a whole $1300 for a slightly better sound with a better bass response.. But listening to the z1r the other day It really is a great headphone i really want the z1r to fall in the $1500 realm. I look forward to your impressions.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #2,069 of 6,742
  I'm sorry to say that's not the case: your Eear aren't sounding better because of the balanced cable but because your amp (whatever it is) sound better in balanced mode VS single ended.
That's a fact, in a short run cable (up to 10+mt I'd say) single ended VS balanced is the same unless amp designer screwed something.
Ask Chord and Burson why they won't go balanced. But it seems balanced is the trend, so if you don't design a balanced amp you're second division/league...

This. Many companies still insist on 1/4 jack design simply because balanced connection does not change the sound on its own. Measurement wise, balanced connection adds a small amount of distortion as well. On the bright side however, you do get more output current and cleaner signal(if long cable) from amplifier if balanced.

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #2,070 of 6,742

How about sound details?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back