Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 13, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #5,296 of 5,632
If you're looking for a headphone to use for edm and rock I don't think you should be looking at the Utopia. Technically superior but with those genres it'll be about as appealing as the stock 800. For rock and EDM the most enjoyable I've personally used was the LCD 3c, LCD X, Abyss and perhaps the Fostex X00 purple. The thought of using the Utopia for EDM makes my toes curl.
I have to disagree with you about the Utopia and rock, It all depends on your upstream gear. I listen to a lot of power/symphonic metal with the Gumby/V280 paring and IMO, it's a very enjoyable experience. Also, the HD800 performs very well on the same setup with just a little less fullness and not quite the dynamics.

I'm not a fan of the LCD series, so maybe we are attempting to express are opinions from opposite sides but I can't dismiss the Utopia as a headphone that's not capable of rendering genres like rock in a satisfying manner.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #5,297 of 5,632
Mate if you're happy then you're happy. I personally found the bass to be lacking that kind of music. In isolation I'm sure I'd get on with it just fine but once compared to whats available I'd find myself always wanting more thump and quantity I think.

Edit: this is one thing that bothers me about Tylls reviews - he NEVER mentions genres with TOTL headhones; what they they shine with and what they don't. It's a huge factor when it comes to buying.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #5,298 of 5,632
The Utopia to me does not lack bass or punches on EDM, the sub bass can get a bit not as satisfying in comparison to my Stax 009 and KG GG, but to say Utopia lacks bass or dynamic is a big mistake....unless my ears are made of wood, which is just fine if someone was to call it that :)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #5,299 of 5,632
I have to disagree with you about the Utopia and rock, It all depends on your upstream gear. I listen to a lot of power/symphonic metal with the Gumby/V280 paring and IMO, it's a very enjoyable experience. Also, the HD800 performs very well on the same setup with just a little less fullness and not quite the dynamics.

I'm not a fan of the LCD series, so maybe we are attempting to express are opinions from opposite sides but I can't dismiss the Utopia as a headphone that's not capable of rendering genres like rock in a satisfying manner.

I concur... i use the Utopias with the 1Z and the TA-ZH1ES and basically listen to rock and prog and the sound is sublime

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #5,301 of 5,632
Mate if you're happy then you're happy. I personally found the bass to be lacking that kind of music. In isolation I'm sure I'd get on with it just fine but once compared to whats available I'd find myself always wanting more thump and quantity I think.

Edit: this is one thing that bothers me about Tylls reviews - he NEVER mentions genres with TOTL headhones; what they they shine with and what they don't. It's a huge factor when it comes to buying.
When it comes to bass. It looks like our preference for quantity as opposed to quality is totally the opposite which is fine. In my case, the LCD series is to bass orientated for my personal taste so rock would probably be one of the last genres I would used them for.

It's very difficult to find common ground when our tastes very so much. However, if bass quantity is someones priority, I do agree the Utopia is not the most economical route that can be taken.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #5,302 of 5,632
Only Stax 009 on a good KG amp can outdone the Utopia in bass, and that is why I don't understand when someone is saying Stax has no bass.....it is funny at first, but then it gets irritating because they don't know what they are talking about but keep on with the frauds.

Because Utopia can get very good out of portable sources, where Stax needs a proper setup to sound good, I value the Utopia a lot, and the fact that it is very friendly toward all genres, that is why to me it is the best dynamic headphones yet, when taking into account all the features, and practicality VS other so called "flagship headphones"

The latest scandal has amputating the pricing on the Utopia by a huge amount, and so this is the best time for someone to get a hold of it while they still last....just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #5,303 of 5,632
Looking for feedback concerning two different amps and their synergy with Utopia...

1. Eddie Current Zana Deux
2. Woo Audio WA22

If you've had any experience with either or both can you give some feedback about how they pair with Focal Utopia?

Jun 19, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #5,305 of 5,632
Hello everyone,
I am pretty sure I'm going get a Utopia/Yggy setup, but am not sure on the SS amp. I listen to mostly edm/deep house and rock/indie so I'm looking for something "musical"/dynamic and fast for a lack of better description, and under 3k is definitely preferred.
Any suggestions?

You pretty much described the Violectric house sound, you should definitely audition one if you have the opportunity.

V200: SE output
V280: Balanced
V281: Balanced with preamp

I can not help with the Yggy. However, I do have the Gumby/V280 combo and it's definitely musical and dynamic when paired with the Utopia IMO.

I have Yggy + V281 + Utopia. I think it's a great combo. I also am still in love w/ my Woo WA5 so that gets more time than the V281. I left Mytek for Yggy and couldn't be happier. For SS amp I can wholeheartedly recommend the V281. There's lots of amp choices so it's by no means the only option, but I think it does everything well. Some people sold their WA22 tube amps for the V281. If I could do it all over again knowing what I know now I would have just got the V281 and skipped the tube amp. At the time I was in 'must-have a tube amp' mode and I still think to WA5 is a great amp. Anyways lots of love for the V281. The shoebox case isn't the prettiest one but it's solid where it counts.

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #5,306 of 5,632
I have Yggy + V281 + Utopia. I think it's a great combo. I also am still in love w/ my Woo WA5 so that gets more time than the V281. I left Mytek for Yggy and couldn't be happier. For SS amp I can wholeheartedly recommend the V281. There's lots of amp choices so it's by no means the only option, but I think it does everything well. Some people sold their WA22 tube amps for the V281. If I could do it all over again knowing what I know now I would have just got the V281 and skipped the tube amp. At the time I was in 'must-have a tube amp' mode and I still think to WA5 is a great amp. Anyways lots of love for the V281. The shoebox case isn't the prettiest one but it's solid where it counts.
If you don't mind my asking. Are you using the V281's -6 or the -12 pre-gain setting with the Utopia. I'm using the -12 setting with my V280/Utopia combo. It's like the Utopia was made for high powered amps set on low gain.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #5,308 of 5,632
If you don't mind my asking. Are you using the V281's -6 or the -12 pre-gain setting with the Utopia. I'm using the -12 setting with my V280/Utopia combo. It's like the Utopia was made for high powered amps set on low gain.

I'm using default no jumpers right now. IIRC I arrived there because some ppl said using +/- gain jumpers could impact the sound and neutral jumpers was better. Then from there I'm usually around 8-9 o'clock on the dial. If I did -6 or -12 pre-gain I would have a wider range of volume adjustment... Maybe I'll give it a try...

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #5,309 of 5,632
Just concurring that my metrum acoustics pavane + V281 + Utopia combo is just excellent at the 8'oclock to 9'oclock setting, with default gain jumpers. I will check out what changing the gain jumpers may do and report back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back