Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Oct 27, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #3,421 of 5,632
Dave,
Your review is right on the money in my opinion. I am using the Dana Reference with my HE1000, MHP1000 and Utopia with the same excellent results. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Jose! 

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #3,423 of 5,632
  LOL didnt know so many are using the Danacable, and I must say it is very very good!!

Yes, I found that to be the case as well, and Hansotek's write up describes the way I hear it as well.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #3,424 of 5,632
Been using the Utopia fed from a Simaudio 430-HAD connected by a Heimdall 2 balanced cable.

Could not be happier with the presentation on all fronts.

The Moon is known to be a rather musical amp, this most likely helps in the overall sound. A sweet combo IMO.

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #3,425 of 5,632
Been using the Utopia fed from a Simaudio 430-HAD connected by a Heimdall 2 balanced cable.

Could not be happier with the presentation on all fronts.

The Moon is known to be a rather musical amp, this most likely helps in the overall sound. A sweet combo IMO.

I can see that amp matching really nicely with the Utopia due to its warm sound signature.
I am intrigued by the Heimdall cable. I just bout a Heimdall USB cable and I am very well impressed specially with its soundstage presentation and detail.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 28, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #3,426 of 5,632
I'm very happy with the Heimdall headphone cables...I bought one for my Utopia as well as for my HEK.

About the only concern that I have are their built quality and the lack of termination choices besides XLR4. Having bulky adapters are nice but at the same time, extremely cumbersome

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #3,427 of 5,632
I have the Dave and the 430...i use my Utopia straight out of the Dave because the Utopia is so efficient that the 430 is overkill......

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #3,428 of 5,632
  My review for the DanaCable Lazuli Reference cable is live today. I know a few people were looking for cables, so here it is: 
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1116/Danacable_Lazuli_Reference_Headphone_Cables_Review.htm

Also, the distributer (Gingko Audio) has offered a $150 off coupon code as part of the manufacturer's response to the review (at the bottom of the article). 

beerchug.gif

Dave, thank you for the link and your review of the DanaCables.

I have read your review and had some difficulty parsing out the differences between the Lazuli and the Lazuli Reference. Can you provide more insight?

Also, since (at least as far as I can surmise) you did not use the cables with the Utopia, can you share your opinion on how the DanaCables and the Utopia might pair up?

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #3,429 of 5,632
Dave,
Your review is right on the money in my opinion. I am using the Dana Reference with my HE1000, MHP1000 and Utopia with the same excellent results. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Are you using two cables or are you using adaptors for the HE 1000 / Utopia? And if so, can you provide a link to the adaptor? Thanks.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #3,430 of 5,632
Dave, thank you for the link and your review of the DanaCables.

I have read your review and had some difficulty parsing out the differences between the Lazuli and the Lazuli Reference. Can you provide more insight?

Also, since (at least as far as I can surmise) you did not use the cables with the Utopia, can you share your opinion on how the DanaCables and the Utopia might pair up?

Thanks!

Sure. I didn't compare them directly because I didn't have a standard and reference cable with the same connection type. Understand that there will be some degree of speculation here, as I am comparing both to the respective stock cables. From what I can suss out, it appears that the bass improvements are the largest difference. The Lazuli Reference cable made more dramatic improvements in terms of bass tightness, impact and subbass rumble. The midrange changes I noted in the review also seemed a bit more accentuated with the reference cable. All in all, it just felt like more of everything I liked about the standard cable.

I did not get to try the cables with the Utopia, but I would imagine they would make a fantastic match. It is a very warm and musical cable, but it does so without harming the technicalities of the headphone. I think if you are looking for more bass presence, warmer/more euphonic mids, and/or smoother/sweeter treble it is definitely a cable you should take a look at.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #3,431 of 5,632
Sure. I didn't compare them directly because I didn't have a standard and reference cable with the same connection type. Understand that there will be some degree of speculation here, as I am comparing both to the respective stock cables. From what I can suss out, it appears that the bass improvements are the largest difference. The Lazuli Reference cable made more dramatic improvements in terms of bass tightness, impact and subbass rumble. The midrange changes I noted in the review also seemed a bit more accentuated with the reference cable. All in all, it just felt like more of everything I liked about the standard cable.

I did not get to try the cables with the Utopia, but I would imagine they would make a fantastic match. It is a very warm and musical cable, but it does so without harming the technicalities of the headphone. I think if you are looking for more bass presence, warmer/more euphonic mids, and/or smoother/sweeter treble it is definitely a cable you should take a look at.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

How is the Danacable when it comes to weigh and flexibility? That was one of my major issues with the stock Utopia cable, it is just awful.

The Danacable reference looks like a pretty heavy duty cable, hopefully it still maintains good weigh and flexibility and does not get in the way.

Oct 29, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #3,432 of 5,632
How is the Danacable when it comes to weigh and flexibility? That was one of my major issues with the stock Utopia cable, it is just awful.

The Danacable reference looks like a pretty heavy duty cable, hopefully it still maintains good weigh and flexibility and does not get in the way.

It's very, very flexible. Not sure about the weight comparison. musicman59 would be a better person to ask, since he probably has both.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #3,433 of 5,632
....From what I can suss out, it appears that the bass improvements are the largest difference. The Lazuli Reference cable made more dramatic improvements in terms of bass tightness, impact and subbass rumble. The midrange changes I noted in the review also seemed a bit more accentuated with the reference cable. All in all, it just felt like more of everything I liked about the standard cable.

Thanks much! Your comments are very helpful.

I've held off on a cable upgrade decision until there are more cable reviews paired with the Utopia. The Dana has been on my list, based on other members' posts on the Utopia threads and now solidified based on your review.

The stock cable - in my opinion - is excellent, which makes the choice for an upgrade cable more difficult. I also want to be fairly sure on matching with the Utopia before I engage in a $1k spend.

In addition to the Lazuli Reference, do you have other suggestions regarding cables to pair with the Utopia. I am leaning towards copper, based on my system. Thank you.

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #3,434 of 5,632
folks,

what are the serial numbers up to now for the Utopia?
i was notified mine is finally shipping from France.
thanks.

paul

Oct 29, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #3,435 of 5,632
Thanks much! Your comments are very helpful.

I've held off on a cable upgrade decision until there are more cable reviews paired with the Utopia. The Dana has been on my list, based on other members' posts on the Utopia threads and now solidified based on your review.

The stock cable - in my opinion - is excellent, which makes the choice for an upgrade cable more difficult. I also want to be fairly sure on matching with the Utopia before I engage in a $1k spend.

In addition to the Lazuli Reference, do you have other suggestions regarding cables to pair with the Utopia. I am leaning towards copper based on my system. Thank you.

Depends on what you are looking for. The KimberKable Axios is very good if you want something linear and detail-forward, though it doesn't quite add the same sense of body and weight.

I think Double Helix makes great stuff, but I haven't tried their flagship.

LabKable's flagship silver cable is good, but it is expensive and you are looking for copper.

The good thing about the DanaCable (other than the sound and build) is that you get the $150 discount code they included in the manufacturer's response at the end of the review and you also get a 30-day in-home trial, so you can actually see if you like the cable or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back