Focal Clear headphones
May 20, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #12,557 of 12,638
The og are about 510€ with dekoni velour elite pads, the mg 590. The look of these last is nicer for me anyway I prefer a better sounding headphones
Id get the OG and will use it them with stock pads, which sound better than Dekoni pads. Don't worry if the pads are worn, they would sound good anyways. If you want a Cleaner& airier sound, get the original Utopia pads.

May 20, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #12,565 of 12,638
He said that the headphones work perfectly, anyway he sells on vinted and an eventual return won't be a problem. The pads cost about 50€ so the price is very close to the mg, that seem like new
significantly better condition, just by looks I would go for the mg because the og clears seem to have a lot of miles on them, so the possibility that you inherit a problem goes up substantially.

May 20, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #12,566 of 12,638
I, too, have owned both and ultimately opted for the [overall frequency balance. neutrality and treble extension/"airiness" of the] OG.
The MG, to my ears, sounded a bit dark, with more emphasis in the midrange. However, the MG's bass extension and bass definition bettered those of the OG IMHO.
That said, you're getting a good deal on the MG. :relaxed:
Depends on your listening preferences as well.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #12,567 of 12,638
Just hooked up the Clear OG [w/NeoTech UPOCC hybrid hpc and Oratory 1990 EQ.
They sound excellent: "clear", dynamic, tonally brilliant and balanced--especially with the Violectric V222 [this amp, like no other I have tried so far, really wakes up the Clear].
Bass response isn't too shabby, either!
:beerchug:

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #12,568 of 12,638
May 20, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #12,569 of 12,638
The og are about 510€ with dekoni velour elite pads, the mg 590. The look of these last is nicer for me anyway I prefer a better sounding headphones
If you are really after the best possible sound for your money you sould not overlook the Neumann NDH 30 at about € 630 new. Its sound quality is a bit higher than that of the Clear MG with very natural and expressive mids, more extended (and very informative) sub-bass and a superb overall balance. Also they are extremely detailed without being bright. They are built to last and they are definitely more comfortable and lighter than the Clear. Buying them new is a much better value than used Clear. Don't take my word, just try to listen/compare them using fine sources.

May 20, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #12,570 of 12,638
@headstef makes a good point.
I have the Neumann NDH-30 [$649 USD MSRP], too, with Fog City Audio Mogami re-cable.
. . . and as a matter of taste I must admit that I prefer the superior openness, imaging and "studio" neutrality of the Neumann.
By comparison, the Clear OG [$990 USD MSRP]--as good as they DO sound--can nevertheless come off as artificially "hi-fi" or "fun"-sounding, not as honest as the NDH-30.
Plan to hook up the Neumann later, Deo volente, and do an a/b with the Clear OG.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back