Focal Clear headphones
Mar 24, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #9,256 of 12,633
So Focal is deceiving us all? :scream:

What if you are a disappointed og Clear owner? Is it an upgrade then? And what if you are a happy og Clear owner? Is it all a quack then?

This is why I'm really fed up by all the various marketing smoke and mirrors from Focal and everyone else.

Own the products that you make. LOL

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #9,257 of 12,633

What if you are a disappointed og Clear owner? Is it an upgrade then? And what if you are a happy og Clear owner? Is it all a quack then?

This is why I'm really fed up by all the various marketing smoke and mirrors from Focal and everyone else.

Maybe you should just go audition them.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #9,259 of 12,633
And... as always... the usual suspect doesn't disappoint... completely missing the point.

Maybe it's just tiring hearing you wax poetic about what Focal did or didn't intend with this updated version of the Clear. Comparing and contrasting others impressions.

It's almost as if everyone hears differently and you should hear them yourself.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #9,260 of 12,633
It seems Clear OG and Clear MG are very similar but with only some small differences.
As I said, the Clear MG is far away from beeing an Audeze with his laid-back signature. Give him a try and don't take care of all the reviews. E.g. look at the list from crinacle. Very funny :smile:

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #9,261 of 12,633
Maybe it's just tiring hearing you wax poetic about what Focal did or didn't intend with this updated version of the Clear. Comparing and contrasting others impressions.

It's almost as if everyone hears differently and you should hear them yourself.
There is an "ignore" button on my profile here.

You are welcome.

p.s. it works! :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #9,262 of 12,633
wow, Audeze? The Clear MG, are not anywhere near the outer edges of being close to their SS. Im sorry but that complete nonsense.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #9,263 of 12,633
There is also the fact that the og Clear mesh is too thick to accommodate the hex grill on top of it. So they had to go for a thinner gauge mesh regardless, just to be able to fit the hex grill on top.

Indeed the frequency response would suggest little change in signature. However I read quite a few review, impressions, from fairly competent folks, describing substantial differences between the two.

The funny part? The promotional "reviewers" saying the Mg is the more "analytical", while the independent folks say the Mg is actually the more "forgiving" one. Jude seems to agree with both camps. Can't go wrong with that position. :wink:

Some even saying the Mg is the Audeze of dynamic coil headphones, for how much more laid back it is vs the og Clear.

Imo, Focal has to promote the Mg as the even "more", even "better" Clear. Else, why would existing og Clear owners wanna buy the Mg? Looks? Sure, but I guess that is not enough. Too bad Focal didn't have a Clear :stuck_out_tongue: philosophy behind its Mg sound. Because if their goal for the Mg was both "more" and "better", highs and lows, no one seems to agree with them. Well, no one except Jude.

What a mess!
Based on those statements, I would triagulate as more forgiving and likely warmer tilt.
It seems that it is not meant as an upgraded to the Clear OG but rather it is addressed to a different audience.
This is likely so intentional or not.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #9,264 of 12,633
Call me an Ostrich but I have absolutely zero interest in the MG Clear given the obvious similarities to the previous model and the fact that I already EQ the OG Clears to taste anyway.

I really don't need more laid back or smooth.
Pretty much my stance as well.

I see nothing ground breaking here, and if I EQ them the same way, I would probably be in capable of distinguishing between them.

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #9,265 of 12,633

That seems pretty harsh.

If Focal had wanted to make a point that the Clear MGs were very different than the OG Clears, they could have retired the Clear name, and labeled as a Magnesius, or something. (They killed the Elegia, and introduced the Celestee.) Focal didn't do that.

In the admittedly small amount of publicity I've seen that was actually produced by Focal, they've never represented the Clear MG as sounding very different from the OG Clear, nor suggested that owners of the OG would need/want to upgrade.

Everything I've seen is consistent with a message of "incremental improvement to a model that's already very good."

I don't understand what you've seen or heard that makes you see it any other way.

(Disclaimer: not a Focal fanboy. Don't own one, never even heard one.)

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #9,266 of 12,633
I own the original Clear and find them to be cleaner than the MG version. So I see no point in changing. It's neither an upgrade or downgrade, just a sound signature that I won't be investing in

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #9,267 of 12,633
I own the original Clear and find them to be cleaner than the MG version. So I see no point in changing. It's neither an upgrade or downgrade, just a sound signature that I won't be investing in
I haven’t heard the Mg but yeah, to me it doesn’t seem like an improvement or a downgrade, just different. I know it’s been said already but it reminds me of HD600/HD650.

Problem is, Focal is retiring the original. Doesn’t seem like a great move considering a lot of people think the original is better. Wouldn’t it be better to have the option? It’s also the better buy because the price is currently slashed.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #9,268 of 12,633
MG has less treble than the HD650 and more bass which would make that sucker even more laid back. Has anyone used the OG oratory1990 EQ settings yet ?

I haven't heard either, I have always wanted to try.... If new MG was 1k, I would of already ordered it already for sure though. All headphones are overpriced IMO.

Has anyone got theirs to clip yet ?

Edit: Crap, thought I was in the MG thread. ;p

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #9,269 of 12,633
I haven’t heard the Mg but yeah, to me it doesn’t seem like an improvement or a downgrade, just different. I know it’s been said already but it reminds me of HD600/HD650.

Problem is, Focal is retiring the original. Doesn’t seem like a great move considering a lot of people think the original is better. Wouldn’t it be better to have the option? It’s also the better buy because the price is currently slashed.
Well you have two conflicting statements - as you initially said, the Mgs are different, not better.

I completely understand Focal retiring the original as they seem to believe the sound signature of the Mgs to be the one that line is known for.

Mar 24, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #9,270 of 12,633
That seems pretty harsh.

If Focal had wanted to make a point that the Clear MGs were very different than the OG Clears, they could have retired the Clear name, and labeled as a Magnesius, or something. (They killed the Elegia, and introduced the Celestee.) Focal didn't do that.

In the admittedly small amount of publicity I've seen that was actually produced by Focal, they've never represented the Clear MG as sounding very different from the OG Clear, nor suggested that owners of the OG would need/want to upgrade.

Everything I've seen is consistent with a message of "incremental improvement to a model that's already very good."

I don't understand what you've seen or heard that makes you see it any other way.

(Disclaimer: not a Focal fanboy. Don't own one, never even heard one.)
Wouldn't you like to know what Focal thinks of their new Mg? Well, I guess that is easy to find out, just watch the official Focal Mg / Mg Pro promo videos, right? Oh wait, guess what, it's the classic "more" of everything, "better" in everything, than before. That's why I like to aggregate impressions and reviews, by folks that have experience, then one can have a sense of what the heck did they really do with the new headphone. No, I won't travel 200 miles to demo one, no I don't plan on buying one only to have to resell them and lose 20% or more (done that, been there).

Bye~~~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back