Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Feb 7, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #1,621 of 1,739
For anyone having an issue with the huge jump between volume steps I may have found a solution for android.

On my fiio m11 pro I went into developer options and turned on ''disable absolute volume''. This now gives me 120 volume steps on the fiio. After this change the headphones' volume buttons appear to operate within the window you set on the player. You can give yourself smaller steps on the headphones by setting a lower volume on the player.

I could be wrong but I think the majority of android devices have this option. Hopefully this workaround could help others.

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #1,622 of 1,739
If you have an iPhone earlier than the 15, and need a Lightning OTG to USB-C adapter for your Bathys to connect via a USB-C cable, I just listed three adapters (two from ddHiFi) on the Classified cable, etc. forum.

Feb 12, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #1,623 of 1,739
I am looking for some bluetooth headphones to replace my annoying Fili Btr-7.
The BTr-7 is a pain to connect with my MacBook Air via Bluetooth but I do like the sound off it
I have the focal Clear mg and I like them so was thinking of bathys or grado gw100x(I have a soft spot for grados)
I was wondering will the bathys connect trouble free with a MacBook Air M2 and how is the DAC/sound compared to the BTR-7?

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #1,624 of 1,739
The problem with using the Bathys (or any other Bluetooth headphone) for music sent from any Apple product is that you're limited to the AAC codec, and not the better aptX-Adaptive that the Bathys uses (or the LDAC codec that other Bluetooth headphones use). So for the best sound quality, you need to use a USB-C cable and the DAC mode on the Bathys. Or for the best Bluetooth sound, get the Creative BT-W5 transmitter, which uses aptX- Adaptive, and plug it into a USB-C port on your MacBook or a dock or hub.

Of course, if you're using Apple's Music app to play songs on the MacBook, and transmitting from there, you're also further limiting quality, of course. I use Audirvana Origin as my player for any music on my MacBook, not Roon.

I have a Clear (the original version) and really like the Bathys. They're definitely in the same family.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #1,625 of 1,739
One thing that annoys me about the Bathys is the synthetic leather on the earcups. I find it gets more uncomfortable over time than the real leather used on the PX8.

I contacted Dekoni to see if they could make me some leather ones for the Bathys and they have informed me that they are already working on Bathy pads which are due to be released later this month!

Feb 13, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #1,626 of 1,739
One thing that annoys me about the Bathys is the synthetic leather on the earcups. I find it gets more uncomfortable over time than the real leather used on the PX8.

I contacted Dekoni to see if they could make me some leather ones for the Bathys and they have informed me that they are already working on Bathy pads which are due to be released later this month!
And there I was thinking it was real leather. I wish you hadn't said this as it will probably annoy me now.

Feb 13, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #1,627 of 1,739
The problem with using the Bathys (or any other Bluetooth headphone) for music sent from any Apple product is that you're limited to the AAC codec, and not the better aptX-Adaptive that the Bathys uses (or the LDAC codec that other Bluetooth headphones use). So for the best sound quality, you need to use a USB-C cable and the DAC mode on the Bathys. Or for the best Bluetooth sound, get the Creative BT-W5 transmitter, which uses aptX- Adaptive, and plug it into a USB-C port on your MacBook or a dock or hub.

Of course, if you're using Apple's Music app to play songs on the MacBook, and transmitting from there, you're also further limiting quality, of course. I use Audirvana Origin as my player for any music on my MacBook, not Roon.

I have a Clear (the original version) and really like the Bathys. They're definitely in the same family.
Thank you
I understand apple AAC and can live with that in rare circumstances as that is how I connect the BTR-7 when all my usb are being used.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #1,631 of 1,739
Ready to buy and interested in saving some cash by getting open box or refurbished. What’s the difference between 2022 vs 2023 vs 2024 units?
I’m assuming they are all capable of firmware updates so this is probably a hardware question.
I doubt very much that the hardware has changed - only a new colour option as far as I'm aware.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #1,632 of 1,739
The Bathys hardware is unchanged except for now being available in that sand color in addition to black. The firmware was updated in the fall. I doubt we'll see a new version of the Bathys hardware for several years; maybe when full lossless Bluetooth becomes widespread, or WiFi streaming is available; either will mean a new decoding DAC chip is needed (and they'll probably be even more expensive).

And for what it's worth, the earpads are the nicest "artificial leather" headphone pads I've ever worn; I did think they were leather. My ears usually sweat quickly and easily with pads that aren't leather, but not these.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #1,634 of 1,739
I bought from Amazon renewed and unit was listed as like new. It arrived and was still paired to previous owner’s device. I did a factory reset.
I’m connected to IPhone 12 and either Apple Music or Qobuz and understand the limitations of that setup.
One thing I’m noticing is that when I walk around it sounds like there is parts movement within the unit especially on the left side. It is possible it’s the ANC responding to the sound of my foot hitting ground. Either way not cool and I’ll probably send back. Question is what I stick with for wireless option.
I'm also considering Mark Levinson 5909 and T+A Solitaire T (probably used).

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #1,635 of 1,739
I bought from Amazon renewed and unit was listed as like new. It arrived and was still paired to previous owner’s device. I did a factory reset.
I’m connected to IPhone 12 and either Apple Music or Qobuz and understand the limitations of that setup.
One thing I’m noticing is that when I walk around it sounds like there is parts movement within the unit especially on the left side. It is possible it’s the ANC responding to the sound of my foot hitting ground. Either way not cool and I’ll probably send back. Question is what I stick with for wireless option.
I'm also considering Mark Levinson 5909 and T+A Solitaire T (probably used).
Take a look at

Dali IO-12​

Probably the best sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back