Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Apr 15, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #1,697 of 1,718
I’ve misplaced my Bathys headphone case. Is there a way to get another? I can’t find any information.

My Bathy’s ear cups are also a little worse for wear, there’s a scratch on one side that’s shaved away some of the leather. Hard to say how it happened but the absent case and the damage have an obvious relationship.

I feel like someone nicked the case to be honest. I don’t remember where it last was but the fact that it’s not at my office or home suggests it went missing while commuting but I don’t leave the case out anywhere. Someone took it from my backpack? Seems plausible, but I might never know.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #1,699 of 1,718
Has anyone found a good headband cover for the dune colorway?
stupid question: why do you buy dune, if you would cover it up? (I know the headband will change colors, but that's a part of the game, isn't it?)

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #1,700 of 1,718
Has anyone found a good headband cover for the dune colorway?

The only thing I can think of are these posts from Nick76

If anyone is looking for a good headband cover for their Bathys, look no further. Just got this one in from amazon and they offer colorways that match both the OG colroway Bathys and the Dune: Amazon Link for Bathys Headband Cover

Here's how the light colorway looks on my new Dunes. Even fixed the slight hotspot issue I got on the top of my head without the cover.

No problem! It does its job well and actually improves comfort for me. Just may look a little nerdy on flights lol. I cut off the loop and the little branding label on mine and it's more subtle now.

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #1,702 of 1,718
Yeah that one looked good and was comfy. Improved the hot spot for me. Also the "silver grey" color matched well.
IMG_0010.JPG

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #1,703 of 1,718
To keep the headband from looking nasty, it does not cover up the cups that's pretty obvious
would still buy another color.....covers looks silly - to me.... sorry

May 7, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #1,709 of 1,718
I think the Dekoni sheepskin pads are worth buying; they're an improvement over the stock pads in sound and comfort.

I've been comparing them to the stock pads for the past hour or so using familiar high-resolution classic rock files I've uploaded to Vox, via my iPhone 15 Pro and the Bathy's USB DAC. If I had to pick a short description to characterize the result of using the Dekoni pads, I'd say the sound seems cleaner and smoother overall, especially in the midrange (which has a bit more presence and clarity). The bass is also smoother; I think the Focal pads over-emphasized the bass and the upper bass and the lower midrange was a bit muddy. I don't hear any deep bass loss with familiar music having significant bass content, and the bass seems faster, cleaner, and harder-hitting. I don't hear any difference in the highs, but I do have age-related hearing loss and have compensated using Mimi at 30% (I did redo the Mimi equalization after listening to the Dekoni pads for a while, but the resulting graph looks the same as when I had the stock pads installed). The Bathys sounds closer to my Focal Clear than before (of course the Clear is open and the Bathys is closed).

And the leather pads are definitely cooler to wear than the artificial material of the Focal pads. There's no heat or sweat build-up at all. They're as thick as the Focal pads, even softer, and the replacement is perfect, simple, and secure. Just be sure that you orient them properly by matching the two cylindrical pins on the plastic mounting panel with the corresponding holes in the earpiece panel, and then gently push down around all of the circumference of the pad until you hear clicks from the rectangular tabs and don't see the edge of pad's plastic mounting panel. The clamping force seems to be slightly less than with the Focal pads, and more comfortable, so maybe the foam inside compresses more easily. I like them so much I think I'll get a spare set. Plus they smell nice!

Just to put in a plug for Vox: I can listen to all my uploaded music from their server, streamed via my iPhone to the Bathys at high resolution via the wired connection. Plus Vox has an outstanding built-in equalizer and several cross-feed options. For regular wired headphones and IEMs from my iPhone, I use my Questyle M15i as the DAC/amp.
I bought these sheepskin pads based on JML’s review. My priorities are comfort and sound in that order. Coming from the Clear MG and having heard the difference that the Dekoni pads (+properly made cable) made to these cans I was curious about the effect of the Dekoni pads on the Bathys. Given the Clear MG original pads are perforated cloth and the Dekoni Sheepskin pads are leather i wasn’t expecting as much of a difference / improvement given the Bathys pads are already leather / leatherette material.

On a scale of 1-5 my ratings are as follows: I tested with Android AptX Adaptive and iOS AAC, and on both using the Bathys DAC. In wireless mode Android AptX Adaptive is at least 20% better sounding imo. It’s that much better. AAC just sucks for wireless on Bathys. I also tested these on a flight to compare experiences.

Comfort: Bathys 3. Dekoni 4. The Dekoni pads have a *slightly* larger circumference and this sure does a make a big difference to the listening experience. The Bathys pads accommodate my ears but the Dekonis surround them meaning my ears fit into the Bathys pads but the Dekoni pads fit my ears, and they’re not that big! The Clear MG pads from Dekoni score a 5 here because of the stellar fit and wider circumference. @JML is right on in this regard. The Dekoni pads are cracking!

Sound. Bathys 3.5. Dekoni 3.5. There are differences but I’ll keep the feedback here to traditional Bass and Treble. On Bass the Bathys stock pads win. On Treble the Dekonis win with amazing clarity for BT cans, but they do loose a few db in the sub bass. When I adjusted the wireless EQ (from -2.0 to +2.0) on the sub bass (62Hz) then the Dekoni pads equalled the Bathys on bass performance. On the DAC the Bathys pads sounded more Bass heavy than the Dekoni Pads, which I preferred for some music. I didn’t get a tighter bass ‘feeling’ from the Dekoni pads. Weirdly, on a plane, I did not like the Dekoni pads sub bass response at all. I didn’t feel they isolated the sound as much as I expected. However in all other settings / environments they sound better. I suspect that noise cancellation in the plane environment played a part here but one would need to measure the bass responses to verify this qualitative, subjective experience. So the sound difference or improvement is not as clear cut as it is with the Dekoni Pads on my Clear MG’s.

Overall. Bathys stock pads 3. Dekoni pads 3.5. Worth the buy for comfort alone. Bass heads will say ‘meh’ before equalisation, and everyone else will say nice improvement in clarity.

May 7, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #1,710 of 1,718
I've ordered two pairs of silver (6N or "sterling") USB-C cables from AliExpress, just for the Bathys in DAC mode. I have one already, and the flexibility is amazing - and totally non-microphonic. More reactions to come after I get the second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back