Foam from AD700? and AKG K702
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mikesin

100+ Head-Fier
Hi
Im just wondering whats the benefits or even if there is any benefit from taking out the foam from the AD700, just behind where the grills are. 

And i would also like to know if the AKG K702 is really that much better than the AD700's (wider soundstage, bass etc?) Which would be preferred for gaming?

Thanks
Mike

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 6
When I had the AD700, I tried removing the foam too.  If I remember correctly, it didn't do much for the soundstage.  What it did do, was make the highs more "shrill" I believe.  They were a bit too piercing in the highs.  So, I immediately put the foams back in.

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Yeah, there are threads about changing material, cutting part of it, etc. I think, in the end, the companies know what they are doing. Soundstage and shrill highs are most notable. Bass boom is somewhat stronger at the cost of detail. Modifications do make a different sound. Is the sound better?

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 6
I cant find any thread about changing the material... could you find me some?

The leakage of sound when taking out the pads is considerably higher... I think i can notice minor details i haven't heard before.. Maybe a tad wider soundstage (placebo effect or?)... Anyone else to comment on this? And about the K702's?

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 6
K702 have one of the best soundstages of dynamic phones, so should be well matched to gaming, although I do recommend changing the filter in that one to fill out the body of the sound and fill the treble spike. It is amazing the difference a little experimentation with the K702 filter can bring. More filtering does equal less soundstage with that one so its about a happy medium.

Regarding the manufacturers knowing what they're doing - well they are human beings like us, if the lead sound engineer happens to have a different taste in sound signatures to you and you know adding a denser foam or a felt in the filter can turn the phones from one with great potentail but some isssues into a great phone all around - why not do it? It's a completely reversible mod anyway.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, I remember reading back on the K702's foam part , theres a whole thread about it too, it apparently made the k702's sound better..
However i just recently bought some K701's from here and im just waiting for them to come, could this mod be done to them aswel (they are the same headphones but minor differences)?

I didn't actually create this thread for the K702's foam, it was meant for the AD700's part and then a different topic about the k702's which is a easy misunderstanding however still a good input, although ive already bought them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back