Flux Lab Acoustics Dual Mono Headphone Amplifier, VOLOT - Mythical Giant or Giant Killer ? News, Speculation, Impressions, reviews and discussion
May 29, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #151 of 998
I asked if the Volot was fully balanced and not just a balanced input and output. I was looking at the Formula S but is not balanced and would degrade my R2R Dac performance. So want to ensure Volot is fully balanced before I consider it.

Looking at the circuit board it does not appear differentially (fully) balanced. But I could be wrong since the only internal pic doesn't fully show everything.

May 29, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #152 of 998
Looking at the circuit board it does not appear differentially (fully) balanced. But I could be wrong since the only internal pic doesn't fully show everything.
Nods. Looks dual-mono balanced. Unsure if it may be differential though.

Peak-to-peak voltage implies fully differential.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #153 of 998
Hopefully the Soundnews review comes out soon. According to a few other places I read - the VOLOT review could have dropped as early as late February this year so I'm assuming it's done and just awaiting to be uploaded / released. I figure that review will answer many of the questions we have (above and beyond what we're directly asking FLA)

May 29, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #154 of 998
Balanced VS Dual Mono topologies or circuitries

For the record, the product page at the Flux Lab site list the unit as "

VOLOT Dual Mono Class-A Headphone Amplifier​

and includes this statement :

"The amplifier uses a dual-mono circuit, where two separate power supplies are used, individually for each channel. Two high-quality toroidal transformers with a total power of 160W, together with high-speed rectifier diodes and a capacitive filter with the increased current, allow the amplifier to remain unperturbed in any dynamically loaded moments in a piece of music."

The expression "balanced," does not appear anywhere on the page, nor do such commonly related ones as "differential," "dual-differential," or "quad differential."

The important question for me is how all of this translates into the quality of performance. I have owned speaker amps that have been touted as "balanced"/"dual," or even "quad differential." I have also owned others that I initially considered to be "balanced," only to find out that they were only "dual mono."

I have, however, to add the ironic fact of personally enjoying the performance abilities of at least one of the "dual mono" amps a lot more than one of the balanced ones, which is not to say that the balanced, quad differential amps necessarily sound bad... It is just that there seems to be some "voodoo" in the tuning and implementation of this one dual mono unit I am referring to that makes me enjoy it better. Still my favorite one of all is a hyprid with a "discrete fully-balanced Class A solid-state" section working closely with bells and whistles of a complimentary tube section that I am not qualified to describe.

The bottomline is that I am still interested in knowing the exact difference between "balanced" and "dual mono" circuitries, and whether the difference has any important bearing on sound quality, a difference that cannot be superseded by the artistry, craftsmanship or implementation of their respective designers or engineers.

I welcome the input of anyone with the requisite expertise to sort these issues out,

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #155 of 998
I asked Flux about this and their reply is:
"Volot's circuitry is not balanced, it contains two amplification channels. But at the same time, the amplifier is dual mono, that is, it contains two separate power supplies. It should also be noted that the balanced inputs are based on an active differential line receiver and are capable of fully working with a balanced signal."

May 29, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #157 of 998
The bottomline is that I am still interested in knowing the exact difference between "balanced" and "dual mono" circuitries
It's pretty simple. Dual mono means two separate mono amps each with its own power supply. The only difference between a dual mono amp and true mono amps is that the former are in the same chassis while the latter are in separate chassis. This is different from the traditional amplifier where you have two mono amps that share the same power supply and are in a single chassis.

A balanced differential amplifier contains four separate mono amps - two for each channel (one for the plus and one for the minus). Each channel pair cancels out the noise of each other (the noise that's picked up on the positive and negative signal wires). That's the main benefit.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #158 of 998
It's pretty simple. Dual mono means two separate mono amps each with its own power supply. The only difference between a dual mono amp and true mono amps is that the former are in the same chassis while the latter are in separate chassis. This is different from the traditional amplifier where you have two mono amps that share the same power supply and are in a single chassis.

A balanced differential amplifier contains four separate mono amps - two for each channel (one for the plus and one for the minus). Each channel pair cancels out the noise of each other (the noise that's picked up on the positive and negative signal wires). That's the main benefit.

To clarify I think my initial post on Single Ended vs. Balanced was alike what Sahmen had for his pre-amp scenario (use case specific). For me using the Holo Audio Spring KTE Dac I've been told that it's critical that I connect it with a balanced amp to get it's optimal performance. When discussing paring the Spring with the XI Formula S amp I was told:

So you can, but the xlr inputs on the formula are not transformer based or actively convert bal to se, all they do is drop the negative pin on the xlr, ignoring half the dac, just like using single ended would. If you wanted to preserve more quality you could use a balanced to single ended transformer like an ampsandsound black box, but that will add coloration
You want to have it run fully balanced through the chain due to how it’s designed. It has a ladder for the positive and negative for each channel, if you run it single ended, you now only use 1/2 the dac. You really want to have an internally balanced amp or one that has transformers or active bal to se conversion on the input to more effectively preserve the sound quality when moving so se. Simply dropping the pin will basically only treat it as single ended out of the dac, only using 1/2. With transformers or active conversion at least you are getting the full quality from the dac coming in, and then that is being converted to single ended, reducing quality loss compared to just dropping a pin

So my concern with Volot not being fully balanced was reflected above. But based upon Flux's response it likely will be a good pairing due to :

It says that it has an active differential line receiver, which would handle balanced signals and actively convert them to single ended internally, this likely would make it so it could take advantage of the spring when used balanced.

Likelly not an issue for you with different Dacs in your chain but wanted to clarify the perspective I was coming from. I really don't care if it's SE or Fully balanced as long as the HP amp and chain sound good. I'd hate to spend $3k on the amp only to find out it kneecapped my Dac.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #159 of 998
It is clearly not an indispensable requirement, obviously, but a good pre amp in this case, can play quite an invaluable role in driving a secondary speaker system, and that is where its potential importance lies for me. That is the short version of my answer.

Now here comes the longer version:
For me, whether the pre amp on an HP-amp is useful or not depends on where it is likely to be installed or deployed in relation to other components in my listening systems. I use my FA-10 as a transportable hp amp for near-field listening. In that role, a pre amp is really not a requirement. I have DACs which come with pre-amp functionalities when needed, or sometimes, I prefer them connected directly to an amp without the interference of any pre amp, and the FA-10 works great in that context.

I envisage a different role for the Volot, particularly, given its massive size, as I do not see it as an easily transportable solution. I want to use it as a replacement for my Violectric V281 which is currently installed in my main 2-Channel stereo/Multichannel HT speaker system, where it doubles as a pre amp for the two fronts for 2-channel stereo listening on speakers.. It shares that role with the processor which runs the entire HT system, which also works great as a pre amp, of course. However, for strictly 2-channel stereo music playing/listening functionality on this speaker system, I normally prefer the V281 playing pre amp duties. In summary, the Volot is likely to be installed in a larger 2-channel/HT Cinema system, in which I would ideally like it double as a pre amp for my stereo speakers, if it sounds better for music than the processor.

In other words, this is all a matter of personal preference. Even so, the devil is going to be in the details. In the end, it is all going to depend on how the Volot performs. If it turns out to be the demonstrably best sounding amp I can afford for my Susvara and LCD-4, I am still going to buy it, with or without the pre amp.

If, on the other hand, its performance places it on a par with say, the Violectric V550, for example, the V550 which sports a nice pre amp stage, and sells at a price point that makes it very competitive with the Volot, then opting for the V550 would be a no-brainer (although, in such a scenario, I might consider upping the ante and going for a pre-owned Niimbus US4 (+) on the used amp market instead). It is in this sense that I thought the added pre amp would make the Volot a lot more competitive. Either way, I welcome the Volot as its presence makes the amp market more interesting

That is where things stand now. Everything remains to be proven, and I am heartened to see so many early buyers, which almost assures a fairly good number of early reviews.

PS: Vitally just posted this response to my inquiry about the missing pre amp in FB/PMs:

"A pre-amp version should be available later."

So nothing is really lost... It is just going to take some more waiting, which I can live with, especially now that my new InPol Ear is keeping my cans and my ears in almost constant 24/7 dialogue. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Thanks for asking them about the "pre-amp" function, that you know I'm also interested. I hope that the price won't increase a lot... Also, one guy asked them about "remote control" and they will include for free if it's requested (indispensable if you use it as a pre-amp).

So... Finally is here, now wait for "personal" reviews. Congratulations to the first lucky ones that got one... I'm still in the process of save money for it (the pre-amp Volot) and a Denafrips DAC.

May 29, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #160 of 998
This was the response I received:

The circuitry at Volot is closer to the FA-10 (not Pro). But the sound level is much higher in all aspects. A pre-amp version should be available later. Basic remote control available without additional charge, just leave a request while order confirmation. @decur I'll tag you as it answers your question also :)
This was the response I received:

The circuitry at Volot is closer to the FA-10 (not Pro). But the sound level is much higher in all aspects. A pre-amp version should be available later. Basic remote control available without additional charge, just leave a request while order confirmation. @decur I'll tag you as it answers your question also :)
Its good to know,that it “can” come with a remote,i wonder why they do not list it on their website?

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #161 of 998
So... Finally is here, now wait for "personal" reviews. Congratulations to the first lucky ones that got one... I'm still in the process of save money for it (the pre-amp Volot) and a Denafrips DAC.
Interesting to read that this is not quite a balanced amp but hopefully should not degrade an incoming balanced signal due to how it's implemented. I will be using this with a Denafrips Pontus II which is a balanced dac. I suppose once the Volot arrives I can connect over single ended and balanced to see if there's much of a difference in sound. If I understand this correctly then the balanced output of the Pontus II should sound better into the Volot than the single ended output assuming the Volot can make use of the balanced input and not just drop part of the signal. Will definitely be an interesting test but please correct me if I am not understanding this correctly.

May 30, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #162 of 998
Also the Volot looks similar in construction (internally) and power output specs (at least from 32 - 600 ohms) to the Wells Audio Headtrip II. http://www.wellsaudio.com/headtrip. I wonder if anyone has that amp that has ordered the Volot and will be able to do a comparison.

May 30, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #163 of 998
Interesting to read that this is not quite a balanced amp but hopefully should not degrade an incoming balanced signal due to how it's implemented. I will be using this with a Denafrips Pontus II which is a balanced dac. I suppose once the Volot arrives I can connect over single ended and balanced to see if there's much of a difference in sound. If I understand this correctly then the balanced output of the Pontus II should sound better into the Volot than the single ended output assuming the Volot can make use of the balanced input and not just drop part of the signal. Will definitely be an interesting test but please correct me if I am not understanding this correctly.
Sorry, I don't know about that. Maybe other forum members would help (us), because I'm also interested in your question (you know, like you I will purchase a Pontus II).

May 31, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #164 of 998
Those awaiting a SoundNews review of the Volot by Sandu Vitalie might be interested in this reply he posted about 4 hours ago to my query about his review :

"The final version is coming my way, it should be here in a few days. I didn't forget...once it is here, I'll start a non-stop burn-in and some long listening sessions."

That is his unfiltered reply, with no "spin" or interpretation on my part, and I shall leave it at that.

May 31, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #165 of 998
Those awaiting a SoundNews review of the Volot by Sandu Vitalie might be interested in this reply he posted about 4 hours ago to my query about his review :

"The final version is coming my way, it should be here in a few days. I didn't forget...once it is here, I'll start a non-stop burn-in and some long listening sessions."

That is his unfiltered reply, with no "spin" or interpretation on my part, and I shall leave it at that.

Thanks! I pre-ordered. Super curious for his opinion, love his reviews. Was F5-ing his website a couple times a day since Friday. :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back