FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #6,197 of 7,931
Hey guys, how bad is the microphonics on the Flc8s with the blue cable ? Thinking of buying them but the microphonic issue kinda bothers me.

I've only had a couple of days and it doesn't bother me too much but I know others find it bad.

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #6,198 of 7,931
  Hey guys, how bad is the microphonics on the Flc8s with the blue cable ? Thinking of buying them but the microphonic issue kinda bothers me.

I found the older cable with the memory wire extremely microphonic, but the new version with the memory wire removed isn't bad at all. Lifting the chin cinch a couple inches tidies the cable up (still a nice, loose fit) and reduces any cable noise further. Normally I'm not a fan of using a chin cinch as they feel weird, but for whatever reason I use it on the FLC with no complaint. Glad they updated that too as the old cinch was just a simple piece of shrink wrap.

old

new                                                                      

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #6,199 of 7,931
I found the older cable with the memory wire extremely microphonic, but the new version with the memory wire removed isn't bad at all. Lifting the chin cinch a couple inches tidies the cable up (still a nice, loose fit) and reduces any cable noise further. Normally I'm not a fan of using a chin cinch as they feel weird, but for whatever reason I use it on the FLC with no complaint. Glad they updated that too as the old cinch was just a simple piece of shrink wrap.

old

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

new                                                                      

That is interesting, as I found LESS microphonics with the green cable, then the black cable I purchased...

The green came with the FLC8S, which I purchased used. The previous owner (unknown, as I purchased from a site in eBay) had cut off the memory wire. I liked that cable more, than the current black one; but prefer memory wire.

I do agree on the "cinch"...cheaper plastic. But all that said, sound wise these compete extremely well up to my Aria's. I'm quite happy with the FLC8S.

Green: less microphonics (to me)
Black: more microphonics (to me)

*Edit: looking over your pictures again, the green DOESN'T have memory wire apparently...

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #6,200 of 7,931
That is interesting, as I found LESS microphonics with the green cable, then the black cable I purchased...

The green came with the FLC8S, which I purchased used. The previous owner (unknown, as I purchased from a site in eBay) had cut off the memory wire. I liked that cable more, than the current black one; but prefer memory wire.

I do agree on the "cinch"...cheaper plastic. But all that said, sound wise these compete extremely well up to my Aria's. I'm quite happy with the FLC8S.

*Edit: looking over your pictures again, the green DOESN'T have memory wire apparently...

As a color blind chum, I honestly can't tell the difference in color between the cables. They look identical to me. They also look blue so there's that...lmao! The one with the guide did have a wire in it, it just didn't do much of anything.

Regardless, any complaints I have against this earphone are minor at best and my original worries about cable microphonics have been addressed for me with updated cable. The FLC 8s is a fantastic earphone through and through. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #6,201 of 7,931
As a color blind chum, I honestly can't tell the difference in color between the cables. They look identical to me. They also look blue so there's that...lmao! The one with the guide did have a wire in it, it just didn't do much of anything.

Regardless, any complaints I have against this earphone are minor at best and my original worries about cable microphonics have been addressed for me with updated cable. The FLC 8s is a fantastic earphone through and through. :beerchug:  

Indeed it really is a fine piece of kit. I lost mine over last week, and I must say I was despondent...until I found them in the Vanilla Wafer box I had taken to school!!!:flushed:

It was like finding a treat in a CrackerJack Box, to be honest!:joy:

Happy again, with my FLC8S, in hand.:hugging:

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #6,202 of 7,931
Thanks for the reactions guys.

Im very exited about these iems, ive rechearched some iems around this price point, and i lean towards this one.
I think they have the soundsig that im looking for, also very good value.

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #6,203 of 7,931

With the black cable you mean the balanced cable?

I bought my FLC's second hand. They are quite new and I really like them a lot
They came with, what seems to be the upgraded blue(green) cable.
There is nothing wrong with this cable, so I had no doubts buying the balanced (black) one.to try with my Ibasso DX200

I like the balanced sound, but I don't like this black cable at all.
It is way too stiff. If I turn my head, it pushes the IEM out of my ear

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #6,205 of 7,931
With the black cable you mean the balanced cable?

I bought my FLC's second hand. They are quite new and I really like them a lot
They came with, what seems to be the upgraded blue(green) cable.
There is nothing wrong with this cable, so I had no doubts buying the balanced (black) one.to try with my Ibasso DX200

I like the balanced sound, but I don't like this black cable at all.
It is way too stiff. If I turn my head, it pushes the IEM out of my ear

I had not thought of the black cable being balanced. I purchased it used, also and there was no mention of balanced...hmmm...I will have to investigate now!

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #6,206 of 7,931
RE:  Balanced Cables
Question on stock cable.

I hear the FLC8s cable is balanced even though it's terminated with 3.5. Could I buy an adapter, female 3.5 to balanced RSA/ALO and use that with the FLC8s cable? Or, do I have to cut off the 3.5 jack on the FLC8s cable to install RSA/ALO jack?

Wfanning1 responded:

Its not balanced with a 3.5 plug, it just has all 4 conductors inside the cable, so making it a balanced cable is feesable without buying a new cable simply by cutting off the original 3.5 and installing your own 2.5/3.5 4 pole balanced plug!
So for your questions, no you cannot just add an adapter you must remove the 3.5 and the add a new plug!

Snuffy adds:  Of course I am unbalanced, but that is another discussion for another day.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #6,208 of 7,931
Will these perform to their potential straight from a phone like the iPhone 6+?

Will they sound terrific ?  Yes.

Are they at potential.   Truth be told; there is a real step up difference with a good digital audio player.  The FLC8S with a Shanling M2 or the FIIO X5 III (I am currently testing this) is a big step up from my iphone 6 plus.

But it will still sound great on the iphone.  But no good IEM will reach its potential with an iphone.

Kind of like .... will my Porsche reach is potential on US city streets using 87 octane gas?  Well, it will be fun but not like putting it on the track with 91 octane.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #6,209 of 7,931
Look at it more that they'll reach your phones potential; they certainly sounded great to me out of my old Xperia Z3 compact, and now my HTC M9. 

Just adds to the value that they scale well in both directions. After getting a Mojo, they get most of my listening time, because they scale the best of what I have (or have no impedance mis-match like my U4-SE). 

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #6,210 of 7,931
Will they sound terrific ?  Yes.

Are they at potential.   Truth be told; there is a real step up difference with a good digital audio player.  The FLC8S with a Shanling M2 or the FIIO X5 III (I am currently testing this) is a big step up from my iphone 6 plus.

But it will still sound great on the iphone.  But no good IEM will reach its potential with an iphone.

Kind of like .... will my Porsche reach is potential on US city streets using 87 octane gas?  Well, it will be fun but not like putting it on the track with 91 octane.

do share the X5iii experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back