Flat FR Problems - Anti-Clip+
Jan 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sonic Atrocity

500+ Head-Fier
For a long time I have been seeking a flat frequency response in my portable rig. I currently have the KRK KNS 8400. They are the flattest headphones I could find within my budget. I thought that pairing them with my Clip+ (rockboxed) would be excellent. Unfortunately, I have had two Clip+'s and the headphone jack has failed each time. 

Apparently the Fuze has the same problem. I have been wondering if the Clip Zip has fixed this problem (and if it is even rockboxable at this point). 

Anyhow, I have come into some money and am now seeking a portable rig that can give me the flat frequency response I desire. I have been looking at iPods with a bit of skepticism. I understand that some iPods really suck but that the ones with Wolfson DACs sound a lot better.

Regardless, I am seeking a flat frequency response. If it means that I have to get a player and use the line out instead of the headphone jack then that is fine considering I have a PA2V2 and according to this link (see below) the PA2V2 is flat (anyone know of the credibility of this measurement?). 

http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Various/Echo%20Gina%20-%20PA2V2.htm

I further wonder if there would be any other problems with the PA2V2 as being a neutral amp. 

Any suggestions as to what I should do? What players I should look at? Should I go the line out route? I'd appreciate your responses head-fi. Thanks for taking the time to view my thread :)

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 16
The Clip+ should be dead flat into non-reactive load like the 8400s and only have trivial variations with even crazy loads like multi-BA IEMs.

There are some good measurements showing this sort of thing but I can't link you since the admins don't like the guy who did them.

If you're not happy with the Clip+'s FR then you must have got 2 defective ones or maybe you're actually looking for something else.  What other sources are you using for comparison?

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
The Clip+ should be dead flat into non-reactive load like the 8400s and only have trivial variations with even crazy loads like multi-BA IEMs.

There are some good measurements showing this sort of thing but I can't link you since the admins don't like the guy who did them.

If you're not happy with the Clip+'s FR then you must have got 2 defective ones or maybe you're actually looking for something else.  What other sources are you using for comparison?

Uhhh... it has nothing to do with comparison. I love the sound from the Clip+. The problem is the fact that the headphone jack has failed twice in a row. This isn't something that has to be measured or compared. It-just-doesn't-work. 

Google it. It's a problem that all kinds of Clip+ users have had.

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
Uhhh... it has nothing to do with comparison. I love the sound from the Clip+. The problem is the fact that the headphone jack has failed twice in a row. This isn't something that has to be measured or compared. It-just-doesn't-work. 

Google it. It's a problem that all kinds of Clip+ users have had.

Oops, sorry.  I misread that.  The headphone jack physically broke?

I was reading like it "failed" to meet your expectations or something.

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 16
The HP jack on my Fuze failed after about 6-7 months, but I bought an LOD and connected to my amp, bypassing the HP out.  If you like the Sansa products and are used to Rockbox, there is a build for the Fuze v.2 out now that supports the Line Out (you pick which output you want, headphone or line-out).

If you want to try a different player and you don't use a Mac, the Cowon J3 is a great player -- and there are some newer Cowon players available.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
The HP jack on my Fuze failed after about 6-7 months, but I bought an LOD and connected to my amp, bypassing the HP out.  If you like the Sansa products and are used to Rockbox, there is a build for the Fuze v.2 out now that supports the Line Out (you pick which output you want, headphone or line-out).

If you want to try a different player and you don't use a Mac, the Cowon J3 is a great player -- and there are some newer Cowon players available.

This Fuze option seems really appealing to me. Only issue is that I hear the Fuze is warmer than other players. I am really looking for a neutral frequency response. That is why I was so enthusiastic about the Clip+. Do you know of any FR graphs on the Fuze? I can't seem to find any.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
This Fuze option seems really appealing to me. Only issue is that I hear the Fuze is warmer than other players. I am really looking for a neutral frequency response. That is why I was so enthusiastic about the Clip+. Do you know of any FR graphs on the Fuze? I can't seem to find any.

The Fuze has the same sound chip as the Clip+ and Clip Zip. The colored sound perhaps some people ar hearing stems from the inaccurate playback speed with the SanDisk firmware, most likely....Rockboxing it will cure that.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Actually, I'm sorry. That was really, really rude of me. I was in a terribly crabby mood yesterday. I was out of line. Sorry man. 

No problem.  After missing the point like that I probably came off sounding really condescending.  Sorry about that too.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 16
beerchug.gif

Quote:
No problem.  After missing the point like that I probably came off sounding really condescending.  Sorry about that too.

:)

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
The Fuze has the same sound chip as the Clip+ and Clip Zip. The colored sound perhaps some people ar hearing stems from the inaccurate playback speed with the SanDisk firmware, most likely....Rockboxing it will cure that.

Well, I don't trust the headphone jack. But I was thinking I'd get a Fuze 4GB off of Ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SanDisk-Sansa-Fuze-Black-4-GB-Digital-Media-Player-/280805155204?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item41614aa184#shId

Would this be the right one? Do you think using the LOD would affect the frequency response and/or sound quality at all? I am really hoping to achieve that neutral frequency response - as flat as possible. And a good, high-detail sound quality too. 

I would be using it with my PA2V2 which according to this graph (http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Various/Echo%20Gina%20-%20PA2V2.htm) is also entirely flat. Is this test reliable??????

If all is good as to what I am seeking so far then which LOD should I get? Any particular Rockbox build I should get? I have read that some versions of Rockbox have noise problems in the Clip+. Would I encounter this issue with the Fuze Rockbox build??

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Well, I don't trust the headphone jack. But I was thinking I'd get a Fuze 4GB off of Ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SanDisk-Sansa-Fuze-Black-4-GB-Digital-Media-Player-/280805155204?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item41614aa184#shId

Would this be the right one? Do you think using the LOD would affect the frequency response and/or sound quality at all? I am really hoping to achieve that neutral frequency response - as flat as possible. And a good, high-detail sound quality too. 

I would be using it with my PA2V2 which according to this graph (http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Various/Echo%20Gina%20-%20PA2V2.htm) is also entirely flat. Is this test reliable??????

If all is good as to what I am seeking so far then which LOD should I get? Any particular Rockbox build I should get? I have read that some versions of Rockbox have noise problems in the Clip+. Would I encounter this issue with the Fuze Rockbox build??

That is the right Fuze. I have no idea as far as how the LOD works with it, or which one to recommend, because I never had one. There was a lot of heated debate over the LOD and the Fuze here, but I have no opinion either way.....again, because I never tried one. If the Fuze turns out to be a V2, then you'd have to search a little for a build with the line-out patch to be enabled.....but if it is a V1, then line-out will work fine.

I never heard any noise in my Clip+ players, but perhaps that is because I don't use IEM's? I have an early PA2V2, which doesn't have the adjustable gain, so I never use it....but I don't remember thinking that it colored the sound. I couldn't use much of its volume though, because of the fixed gain.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 16
So, I am thinking that I should just go get the Clip+ repaired. If I buy a new one I worry it will just give me trouble again. I'd be willing to pay for a repair if it is almost permanent. I am looking at electronic repair shops online around my place (downtown Toronto). I like that the Clip+ is flat and I really appreciate the Rockbox firmware. The crossfeed is essential to me. 

What should I say to them? I was thinking that I'd say either something is loose and needs to be tightened or a soldering job is needed. The plug stays in the player. It just doesn't send the signal properly. My right channel falls out consistently and often it becomes "half-present". 

Thoughts?

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
So, I am thinking that I should just go get the Clip+ repaired. If I buy a new one I worry it will just give me trouble again. I'd be willing to pay for a repair if it is almost permanent. I am looking at electronic repair shops online around my place (downtown Toronto). I like that the Clip+ is flat and I really appreciate the Rockbox firmware. The crossfeed is essential to me. 

What should I say to them? I was thinking that I'd say either something is loose and needs to be tightened or a soldering job is needed. The plug stays in the player. It just doesn't send the signal properly. My right channel falls out consistently and often it becomes "half-present". 

Thoughts?

For what they would charge you to fix it, you could probably buy a new one....unless you have a buddy working at the electronics shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back