flat foil speaker wire- any good?
Jul 4, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FiNoobie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know the quality and power capability of this flat foil type of speaker wire?
Flat Speaker Wire - hide the speaker wire without putting holes in the wall: 21st Century Goods

Don't know that particular one but I have bought some Chord Flatline which looks similarly discreet, for my tv surrounds. I was dubious at first but ended up using the leftovers in a kitchen music system and it sounds very good indeed.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 9
It may or may not sound good, but be aware of where it came from. Way back wen, some people were making this kind of wire for NASA, and faced with NASA cutbacks, they had to find a new market for their flat wire. Naturally, they pumped it up as new, and better than anything before. Unless you need it to go under a carpet or invisibly up a wall, why bother?

Laz

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you need it to go under a carpet or invisibly up a wall, why bother?

Laz

The reason I came across this is becasue I am looking for a home audio solution and the challenge for me is that I do not have anywhere to run wires - no carpet, no walls (floor to ceiling glass), no attic, and no raised foundation.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 9
I'm sure it will work fine, provided it has enough copper or 'guage'. You could always simply measure the resistance of it and compare to normal wire, to see which guage of normal wire gauge it would be equivalent to.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm of the opinion that wire is mostly about enough copper, good quality connectors, and reasonably short lengths. I'm sure there's a difference with silver plated and solid silver, etc, but I doubt it amounts to much. Flat? I can't imagine how it would matter.

Tim

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 9
Actually, this type of wire was first brought to market by Nordost. The gauge amounts to 12.
But more importantly, because the conductors are flat and their thin edge side by side, the capacitance is remarkably low. Which means you can run a very long way before it has an effect on the sound. Or, more importantly, the ability of an amp to run it without occilating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back