Flat cable with inline mic and 3 button control for custom IEM
Apr 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

meyerovb

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a flat (tangle-free) cable with in-line mic and 3 button control (similar to the jays a-jays four) that I can attach custom IEMs to.  Anyone know of a shop making these, or one I can custom order it from?

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 23
It's not flat (it's braided which I think is much better than a flat cable), the newly released Westone EPIC MICS cable apparently has the in-line control and mic. Product page here

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
Good find man.

I may be wrong, but these should definitely be one of the few and cheapest custom IEM compatible cables with in-line control and mic. I would get it, but it looks like Westone made a note that these are not recommended for iPhone 4/4S users.  "Some users report an echo effect while using this product with the iPhone 4 and 4s"  

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 23
Just to clarify... I need it for an iPhone 4, I want 3 button control (so I can control playback and volume), and I was hoping for flat so it would be tangle resistant while maintaining flexibility. I understand that flat will increase microphonics, so I'll take braided if it will work with iPhone 4 and has 3 button control.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
I am looking for a flat (tangle-free) cable with in-line mic and 3 button control (similar to the jays a-jays four) that I can attach custom IEMs to.  Anyone know of a shop making these, or one I can custom order it from?

There are no flat custom IEM cable, less said about one with a mic. There are also not many custom IEM cable with a microphone and control, since not many people uses customs for calling. Your best bet then is the UE cable with the microphone(but there is no control), if you can find it. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 23
I am giving up on good sound and iPhone controls. Using two sets, one for quality and one for when on the job anticipating calls. :frowning2:

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
I am giving up on good sound and iPhone controls. Using two sets, one for quality and one for when on the job anticipating calls.
frown.gif

That is actually a better idea then turning an awesome IEM into an iPhone microphone. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:

There are no flat custom IEM cable, less said about one with a mic. There are also not many custom IEM cable with a microphone and control, since not many people uses customs for calling. Your best bet then is the UE cable with the microphone(but there is no control), if you can find it. 

Westone EPIC MICS cable...  UE TF10 vi cable...  Both have remote and mic, just no volume control.  EPIC MICS seems to have some problems with the two latest iPhone models (4 and 4S).  TF10 vi may be a bit big for most IEMs.  I think Custom-iem.com had a cable too.

Quote:
That is actually a better idea then turning an awesome IEM into an iPhone microphone. 

What's wrong with turning an awesome IEM into an iPhone mic?  It's not going to change the sound at all (assuming it's the same cable from the same manufacturer :p)...

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
What's wrong with turning an awesome IEM into an iPhone mic?  It's not going to change the sound at all (assuming it's the same cable from the same manufacturer :p)...

Well, I just don't like my IEMs to have that control at the cable. I prefer it to be purely an IEM for listening purposes. Also, it will kinda get in the way. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Well, I just don't like my IEMs to have that control at the cable. I prefer it to be purely an IEM for listening purposes. Also, it will kinda get in the way. 

It doesn't get in the way as much as people make it seem. The IEM is purely for listening. The remote makes it so you don't have to shave your hand in your pocket to change the song. I can care less about the mic.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
It doesn't get in the way as much as people make it seem. The IEM is purely for listening. The remote makes it so you don't have to shave your hand in your pocket to change the song. I can care less about the mic.

Well, I don't mind to shove my hand into my pocket ^^, since I usually choose my songs anyway. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #13 of 23

Quote:

Well, I don't mind to shove my hand into my pocket ^^, since I usually choose my songs anyway. 

If I want to skip to the next song or go to a previous, it'd become a hassle to put my hand in my pocket when I could double-click a button next to my chin...  No digging, quicker, and simpler.  Even further, if I get a phone call, I don't want to be unplugging my headphones and plugging in a headset, taking off my headphoens, putting on the headset and taking the call.  Then taking off my headset, then putting back my headphoens, and putting the device back on play.  Same process to make a call.  It's a hassle and it's really unneeded.  There is a reason why the remote and mic is popular.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
If I want to skip to the next song or go to a previous, it'd become a hassle to put my hand in my pocket when I could double-click a button next to my chin...  No digging, quicker, and simpler.  Even further, if I get a phone call, I don't want to be unplugging my headphones and plugging in a headset, taking off my headphoens, putting on the headset and taking the call.  Then taking off my headset, then putting back my headphoens, and putting the device back on play.  Same process to make a call.  It's a hassle and it's really unneeded.  There is a reason why the remote and mic is popular.

True, but I don't want to use IEMs with controls that only work on iDevices on my MP3 players. I mean, the sound works but the control only works on iDevices. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #15 of 23

Quote:

True, but I don't want to use IEMs with controls that only work on iDevices on my MP3 players. I mean, the sound works but the control only works on iDevices. 

You are making way too many assumptions...  Remote and mics will work with all devices.  Many phones use the same wiring as iDevices (many LG, Nokia, HTC, Samsung for example), this means that the remote and mic will work with those phones as well.  The volume control may not work as advertised (for example, on newer Samsungs, the volume up will reroute to the next function while the volume down goes to previous).  The center button will work though.  It works on Blackberry as well. 

NOTE: the function of the center button may only function partially if the manufacturer set it up that way.  My LG dumbphone (most smartphones function fine) and older Blackberries (IDK about newer ones) will not have media control with the remote but can answer the phone. 

It's not purely iDevice; in fact, remote and mics have been around way before the iPhone, they just weren't used for controlling media and only used to answer the phone.  Heck, my mom's old SLVR had a functional remote and mic (through USB mini).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back