flashlight-fi
Jun 26, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 16
Flashlight-FI?

Then you need to go to:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubb...ubbthreads.php

Setmenu
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 16
I've got a Gerber (formerly CMG - my first one was a CMG) Reactor. Their product page seems to be down currently, but here's a couple of reviews, with pictures.

It uses standard AAs, which is rather nice, although you'll probably end up getting lithium batteries for it anyway, as otherwise it has a bit of a yellowish tint, and isn't as bright. (this is due to lithium AAs having a nominal voltage of 1.7 as opposed to alkalines 1.5 - it works for this as the Reactor was designed for it, but you'll fry lights that aren't expecting it) It has a single Luxeon LED, which is quite adequate.

The only problem I have with it is the on/off switch, which is a rather fragile twist-cap. Indeed, my first one, which was CMG-made broke when it fell a paltry 1 foot off a platform I was working on and hit a lower level. I wrote a nastygram to Gerber and included the light, and they gave me a brand new one. At least their customer service is good. I haven't had any problems with the current one, but I would like to epoxy the twistcap in place (further waterproofing it) and put a tailcap switch on instead.

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
I've actually been using the handier Inova X5 for normal and UV applications and the SureFire M1 for covert IR applications

This thread is timely for me, though, since my sister is moving out to Tucson and I'll be getting her some UV LED lamps.

I have an Inova as well, great light!

Check this one out!

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
I've actually been using the handier Inova X5 for normal and UV applications and the SureFire M1 for covert IR applications

This thread is timely for me, though, since my sister is moving out to Tucson and I'll be getting her some UV LED lamps.

I love my X1 ... incredibly well made, TINY, well defined spot, and lasts forever on battery... i dont know about its practicality, though, but its such a cool gadget

might buy an X0 for real applications

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
My Mag-Lite in the back seat of my car is suddenly, sadly inadequate.
frown.gif

Yeah. Once you find LED (or Surefire's insane Xenons) Mags are just pathetic. The only thing they have going for them is their ability to double as a weapon due to the weight. But if you want that, go for Surefire's Strike Bezel.

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Yeah. Once you find LED (or Surefire's insane Xenons) Mags are just pathetic. The only thing they have going for them is their ability to double as a weapon due to the weight. But if you want that, go for Surefire's Strike Bezel.

Agreed, my first real flashlight was a 6 D-cell Mag lite which I had thought at the time to be the brightest flashlight I've ever seen. Then I stumbled onto Surefire flashlights and then I realize that the Mag lites doesn't even come close in comparison. The most powerful Surefire flashlight there is:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...4204/sesent/00

BTW the UV LED flashlight is pretty cool, would really come in handy if you're working at a night club and needed to determine if the money given by a customer is counterfeit or not.

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #13 of 16
That UV light is very cool. I have never seen a scorpion around here, but I have heard there have been sightings in a town 45 miles away. I guess I really wouldn't have much use for one. But then again they are cool ............

I have a CMG Infinity light. Mine has blue green LED and has been my work companion for a few years now. I love how the one AA battery gives me about a years worth of usage. I use it a lot at work.

Mag lights are plenty bright enough for me. I actually prefer no artificial light at night anyway. I use the blue green LED for writing my reports at night so I don't need to turn on the overhead light in my office. Keeps my night vision better this way. BTW,my office is a locomotive.
icon10.gif

I have never

Users who are viewing this thread

Back