Flare EARS by Flare Audio
Oct 8, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #61 of 109
I didn't believe in burn-in until I got the Atrios, which started very muddy then got much better. Of course, it could also be just in my head -- maybe I simply got used to the sound signature -- but then why did I experience this only with this IEM? So while I'm still not 100% sure about burn in, I still lean toward it being real, and quite important for some IEMs with a dynamic driver.
Have a look at the IMR thread (another British IEM brand with a cult following; mostly multi-driver hybrid models, and an 'interesting' approach to release scheduling and communication). Over there they talk about waiting >500 hours until the IEMs finally come good, and a right rollercoaster ride to get there.
In fact, if you pull up a frequency response curve and replace frequency with time on the x-axis, that's basically the emotional journey IMR fans go on with each new model!
So, my belief system is capable of accepting the phenomenon that modern dynamic drivers need play time to become sufficiently flexible before they achieve the performance that the designer had in mind.
I think there's some of this going on with my Flare R model - they seem to be clearing up, especially in the treble region. YMMV though of course.

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #62 of 109
I think there is something in the burn in theory. How much a difference it makes I don’t know. With these I think there’s also getting used to the sound signature and getting more proficient in correctly inserting them. For me, I think those two are more likely for most to be the reason for change in sound perception. They were for me and made a very big difference with regards to the e-prototype and e-3D-1 journey.

Oct 8, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #64 of 109
I think there is something in the burn in theory. How much a difference it makes I don’t know. With these I think there’s also getting used to the sound signature and getting more proficient in correctly inserting them. For me, I think those two are more likely for most to be the reason for change in sound perception. They were for me and made a very big difference with regards to the e-prototype and e-3D-1 journey.
And tip selection.

I'm back to the foam ones that came with the EARS. I think the bullet shape helps with fit, for me anyway.

Definitely start with a size smaller than you usually use.

Agree that the sound sig takes some getting used to, but once you're dialled in these things are remarkable.

Oct 8, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #65 of 109
Would a daring soul be willing to take a picture of the Flare Ears in their ears?
I'll bite.

I'm wearing them up, ie L&R earphones reversed (but not cable) and therefore upside down, with the pointy end of the triangle pointing up.

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 8, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #67 of 109
Thanks for the warning, mate; I'll keep my distance.

I'll take the bait, is what I meant 😀
OK you knew that already, Professeur. Je m'excuse.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #69 of 109
I have a couple IEM’s from IMR and over a dozen from the previous named company. With every one I would first run them using the Cardas-Ayre Burn-In CD for at least 24hrs. Always noticed differences in sound quality from my first listening before running the CD. Interestingly enough, my stereo cables require 900hrs of burn-in. I can only say that it seems likely something is happening. With my E-3D-1 I did not run the CD, and to my ears in the beginning the bass was somewhat pronounced, but after more than a year it has become more natural. And the overall sound quality seems like it is getting more resolved all the time. To me, they are absolutely incredible. Still waiting on my model S.

Oct 8, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #70 of 109
I have a couple IEM’s from IMR and over a dozen from the previous named company. With every one I would first run them using the Cardas-Ayre Burn-In CD for at least 24hrs. Always noticed differences in sound quality from my first listening before running the CD. Interestingly enough, my stereo cables require 900hrs of burn-in. I can only say that it seems likely something is happening. With my E-3D-1 I did not run the CD, and to my ears in the beginning the bass was somewhat pronounced, but after more than a year it has become more natural. And the overall sound quality seems like it is getting more resolved all the time. To me, they are absolutely incredible. Still waiting on my model S.
I keep being tempted by IMR, I would love to own a pair at some point.
I find it interesting the contrasting approach between IMR, who experiment with myriad different driver configurations and release new models frequently, with Flare, who seem committed to a single DD, but labour for years with each new model. Maybe we'll see Flare release new models more frequently now that their Mirror Image Sound tech has fully launched. Flare seem content to exist in a bubble and pay little regard to what their competitors are doing.
I haven't owned hi-end hi-fi cables, so don't have directly relatable experience of such long burn-in times, but I can believe it. Anything with silver seems to take a particularly long time to settle, in my experience of using silver-plated copper in my DIY amp-building efforts. Others will disagree and call foo, which is also fine.
I never heard the E-ED-1, but I have no doubt that your S model will meet, and exceed, your expectations. These are earphones that don't push detail at you, but provide an incredible, textured environment for the listener to explore.
Hang in there, brother / sister.

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #71 of 109
I'll bite.

I'm wearing them up, ie L&R earphones reversed (but not cable) and therefore upside down, with the pointy end of the triangle pointing up.
They actually look a lot better than the 'correct' way up! Yours seem to fit nice and deep too. Mine fit really well, but I feel like they protrude a little more.

I'm still searching for shorter 3.5mm mmcx cable to use with a Bluetooth DAC, but the over ear option will now also be considered (not that I have any issue under the ear)

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #72 of 109
They actually look a lot better than the 'correct' way up!

True. Flare Audio should ask Haden for the right to reproduce his photo, or at least try to reproduce it with anothe model. Haden makes the Flare Ears look a lot better than the official pics. (This is partly due, I realize, to the perfect angle of the picture, which makes the Flare Ears align so perfectly with Haden's ear.)

Yours seem to fit nice and deep too. Mine fit really well, but I feel like they protrude a little more.

Feel free to post your own picture. :sunglasses:

I'm still searching for shorter 3.5mm mmcx cable to use with a Bluetooth DAC, but the over ear option will now also be considered (not that I have any issue under the ear)

How are the microphonics?

And yes, I too prefer very short cables. I had to buy one on eBay. I can use it with a BT player, or use an extension cable to connect it to the DAC on my desk or to my recording gear. Short cables should be the default: you can easily make a cable longer; you cannot easily shorten a cable.

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #73 of 109
I haven’t used this Bluetooth DAC for a few years tbh. I used to have it connected to the back of my Amp in the living room, and I’ve barely really used it on the go. That said, I had a call with my wife yesterday on the train and both ends appear to have been clear.

Checked out my fit in the mirror, and it’s actually pretty good. I’m used to Earin TWS buds and the other Flare models, but if you look around and compare to other people wearing those huge Bose and Sony TWS buds, not to mention all the stalks & stems from AirPods and the like, these aren’t the most obtrusive things out there.

If you’ve got a link for the short cable, please share, I’m not having much luck finding anything, even anyone stocking e.g. the Fiio one(s).

(p.s. I just had my first experience of a track sounding not particularly great because the audio was just too clean, weird)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back