Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jan 22, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #2,551 of 3,098
ve monks for 7 euro is more resolving than flare audio r2a

You seem like you are going around and posting this one line sentence on every thread you visit. I understand your enthusiasm about the monks.

Heck I even bought 3 sets of monks for myself  and I think they are unbelievable deals at $5 a pop, but your R2A must be defective.

My R2A sounds more resolving and technically proficient than my monks by a good margin. 

Monk may have more forward sounding mids than r2a so you might naturally think you hear clearer vocals, but try anything with full orchestra.. Instrumental separation is just not its forte. 

Monk is also quite rolled off in sub-bass region and being earbuds fit is quite finicky as well.

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #2,552 of 3,098
May I please ask to clarify the comparison between Trinity Delta and R2A. The discussion was around EDM, but my main genres are jazz, soul, funk, disco and maybe some classical. With the iBasso DX50 source, will I benefit in SQ with R2A?

Trinity's price and durability are really attractive (the next version will come with replaceable cables), but I'm also quite sensitive to high frequencies. I also consider Sony XBA-A2/A3, but one of members said R2A has better SQ in general.

As for the big guys, I have Sony MA900 & ATH-ESW9 and quite happy with them.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #2,553 of 3,098
flare audio r2a has more resolution and better bass, trinity delta have less detail but have sort of bassy sound. i wouldnt know which i would buy but i think i would buy r2a. ve monks are good too for 7 euro
r2a seem to have more resolution than ve monks but i think ve monk have more resolution than trinity delta. but ye flare audio r2a is probably best

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2,554 of 3,098
Thanks! VE Monk seems cool, but I plan to use them outside as well, so isolation may not be enough.

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #2,555 of 3,098
I could put my two pennyworth into this, I am lucky enough to have both . Unfortunately I cant decide which is THE best . Sorry I am not audiophile in any way, so find describing the sound signatures tricky
R2as do sound good . You can close your eyes and hear the particular sounds separated quite a bit. They are easy to listen to as well. Maybe the special drivers mechanism makes listening to them so easy going.Plus, you can lay down and the are so comfy you can easily fall asleep with them in . Perfect for nightshift workers like me. They are a bit tricky to put in properly (with the comply eartips ) and the cable does seem a little weak for everyday abuse.They are pretty minimalistic in the accessories .
I like the Deltas because they are fun , hitting your senses with the music and have a nicer appearance and feel much more robust for everyday listening. You can choose filters and eartips to provide you with the best combination . They are very generous with their accessories.

In answer to your question , I think it all depends on your most frequent use . If you are on the go alot~ Deltas edge it.
If you have like to listen in bed , and like comfort over convenience ~ go with the R2as.
Both have very good firms backing them up . Hope this helps.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #2,556 of 3,098
Thanks for commenting! Plan to use them mainly outside since I have full-sized and on-ears at home/work.

Just found R2A on eBay from Turkey, will cost USD 125 incl. shipping. Will make a decision tomorrow.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #2,558 of 3,098
  May I please ask to clarify the comparison between Trinity Delta and R2A. The discussion was around EDM, but my main genres are jazz, soul, funk, disco and maybe some classical. With the iBasso DX50 source, will I benefit in SQ with R2A?

Well,as i have the three elements (Ibasso, Trinity and Flare) you mention i'll share some impressions (never forgetting that they reflect just a subjective point of view, to be objective i should be an object and, although i try it every night, even my girlfriend  refuses to consider me that way).

Two statements before beginning. First: the ibasso will drive the Flare without problem (also Deltas).  I think that the deltas do a slightly better pairing as they are warmer and the dx50 for me is a bit cold, analytic or neutral, whatever you call it. Ibasso + Flare maybe is a sum of two analytical robots, but don't worry, the combination is very "musical" also, and the power problem is solved: the ibasso drives them with solvency. Second: as @Jigsaw feet has said, the decision for me lies on the use you'll do. And to make it easy and fast, if you plan to hear for many hours daily, to use them at work, bed, library... go with the R2a. If you use them more in public spaces or if you look for a more energetic sound go with the Deltas.

Now, you asked about some specific styles of music so i'm doing a little test while i write. I'll talk about music through both. My general impression is that each one has it's own type of sound where they shine more, so maybe the kind of sound you like on the music should determine also your decision... 

I'll focus on one song to explain the differences and then review more briefly some others. One i know and love deeply: Charlie Mingus "Better git it in your soul". So, using the headphones line out, high gain, no eq, increasing the volume about 8 points while testing the r2a's to approximately equal the volume, delta´s with the gunmetal filter, this is what i hear:

With the Delta´s saxes sound thinner, piano has less presence, general sound is brighter and gives the impression of being more detailed, but harsher when the winds blow the higher notes (and that's important for you). They are in general more aggressive and with more "pulsation" (with that term i mean that i feel more the rhythm, not just each instrument role but the general rhythm they create). Second line details, all the screams and yells, bass drum, etc, have more presence also with the deltas. The bass of the holy cow Mingus sounds slightly inflated on the delta's and more organic and truer on the r2a's. Cymbals are well resolved in both cases, maybe better positioned but less sibilance-controlled on the R2a (and that's also important for you, different peaks on the higher notes but both have their screaming frequencies, although in general my tinnitus finds more respectful the R2a). The fact that makes the difference for me here is about the soundstage and instrument separation.  With the deltas i feel bigger separation from left to right and less deepness and height. That more horizontal separation creates in some way the perception of two different channels with two different musics, so, comparing withe the flares, it sounds less cohesive, like more difficult to believe for my ears. With the r2a i feel more in a real room with really well positioned instruments and with the deltas more in a studio, like hearing a more artificial space brought by a mixing board. I'd love the flares to have the delta's airier sound and to be a little more brighter without losing their better controlled and fuller frequencies. Maybe it's paradoxical, but the R2a sound more "real" and the deltas more lively. Conclusion: i don't know, both have flaws and strong points and directly comparing both i tend to prefer the delta´s, but as i've said in previous posts, i finally look more for the Flare. I suppose that i prefer their smooth and fuller sound for all the LP while the more fatiguing sound of the delta´s excites me more when listening for an only song.

Changing songs change perceptions. With the incredible, wonderful and unsurpassable "Fleurette africaine" from Ellington, Mingus and Roach i miss again a little bit of air with the Flare that i actually find on the Deltas. Deltas handle better also the abundance of sounds in Olé Coltrane but miss some deepness of soundstage that the flares have. Keith Jarret at Köln sounds much better on the R2a to my ears principally because of the fuller and more detailed sound of the piano (pianos sound incredible on the R2a´s), but i like more Malagueña from Pete La Roca  on the Delta´s for their more energetic sound ... Definitely i think that i'd love to find a good combination of both, the fuller and more cohesive sound of the Flare's but a little less dark and distant to gain life.

Going with the soul and the funk and the disco i see the Delta's as winners by little margin, but depending on your tastes, on the kind of sound you like on the productions of the music you like. They give a funnier and, why not, funkier experience. With this Al Green's classic the organ on the background, the guitar... all the elements have more presence on them, while the flares make them disappear a little bit more. Bass again is less real and sounds overemphasized with the trinity's, but thanks to that the song retains much more groove. Winds have a better feeling on the r2as, but vocals sound a little bit too distant and even slightly muffled in comparison and general sound is a little bit more boring. However,in general the Flares, because of a more analytical sound reveal more the bad productions but, at the same time, thanks to their smoother and more natural sound, forgive better their sound and make to my ears more listenable songs like these ones from Lee Moses or Ferry Djimmy. So the more obscure, raw and dirtier the sound, better with the Flare (which is a surprise for me, before beginning this test i'd have said the opposite). With cleaner productions from the seventies and eighties, more danceable songs, Delta´s will have that humpy punchy thing. Anyway, again, that's not a rule. Surprisingly Betty Davis, normally produced with a strong "in your face" sound, while hits harder with the Delta, sounds better on the Flare because of the fuller sound they provide (even though the cymbals reach some sibilance on them). Flares do it better also with Mr Brown's  The Payback, but the holy bible of soul from Marvin Gaye sounds more hollow and distant on them...Ah, and for the disco and the classical questions, Donna Summer will sound funnier on the Deltas and Shostakovich clearly better on the R2a's. Well, i think that the idea is already exposed, it's time to stop. Talking strictly about the sound and the way it matches with your music, if your cup of tea is more on the old productions go with the R2a and if you're more on the George Clinton way try the Delta's. Delta's will make you dance more and Flares will delight you more (if you hear them as i do). 

Hope that this helps (i know i didn't point clearly a winner but, as my arguments imply, i think that's a relative question). Don't forget all the other statements made on previous posts about the different prices, fit, build quality, comfort... @Midgetguy has both too, and i suppose that some other notable members of this forum, maybe they can guide you with more clearness. Anyway, don't forget that both have enough charms to seduce you. Good luck!

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #2,560 of 3,098
Has anyone heard any rumors on Flare doing a v2 of these? 

To me they've nailed it sonically, size and fit wise and have a potential crossover star on their hands like some of the Fostex HPs.

But the build and to a lesser extent packaging just limits them from being an unequivocal recommendation. 

edit: I wonder if these could take off as platform for modding like the T50rps.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #2,561 of 3,098
I got a DP-X1 DAP the other day and I'd like to use my R2Pro with the balanced output. Do these headphones run four wires from the splitter down? That'd be awesome as all I had to do is to replace the stock plug with a 2.5mm one that I already got...

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #2,562 of 3,098

Great idea! Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #2,563 of 3,098
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Paid Flare Audio LTD for two pairs of drivers with mic cable Jan 21 and I still haven't even got the tracking number now. Meanwhile a certain IEM I've bought from NA Jan 26 has already been on my country's custom since the last Friday. Both cost around $35 for the shipping.

Flare have not responded to my email since I paid them (only automatic invoice email), if any of you guys read this thread, please at least give me the tracking number.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #2,565 of 3,098
Alright so going between delta and r2a and ve monk r2a is definitily best earphone. and r2a definitely the best sounding earphone that i bought. so ye good on you. im using it with cozoy aegis which is ridiculously loud dac and it pairs with it natively in terms of volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back