Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Sep 1, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #2,086 of 3,098
Tbh, I got them done at the last hour of CanJam strictly as an impulse after thinking on it at Wagamama with a couple friends. I'm hoping this turns out well.

Ha I almost did the same thank goodness I was working although I have there number so if it turns out well for you I might just jump on board. I was actually surprised there was a lot on offer at the show but other than Noble Audio's Savant and the HyperDynamic by Jaben nothing impressed me too much. In fact I had more fun in my Hotel room with the R2Pro and AR UA1-Dac. 

Did get to try out the AK380 though very nice indeed!

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #2,087 of 3,098
Lots of airplane time on my R2PRO over the last week and a half. Driven properly, I cannot fault it. It isolates well (inserting the Complys deeper on airplanes helps) and maintains its great detail and ambience. It is my favourite travel IEM yet - and one of my favourites overall.

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #2,090 of 3,098
^ @sabloke, I enjoy your posts and am glad that you like the R2Pro. However, please cease with the Tapatalk spam. (Just delete the signature from the app.) Thanks!

Done, signature removed. Sorry for spamming, I simply didn't think about it and wasn't intentional.

Would you recommend burning in the Pros or simply keep using them? To my ear, the sound is great already.

I have found that the large Complys isolate best, despite all my other buds being medium. Could be I'm not inserting them right, so I'll keep testing with medium and large. I'll also test my collection of Sony and Monster buds as they all fit the R2s.

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #2,091 of 3,098
Currently going through the comparison of R2PRO with LCD-X .. and this is just crazy. The sound signature and abilities of the two are very close. Flare Audio did a tremendous job with those.

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #2,092 of 3,098
Done, signature removed. Sorry for spamming, I simply didn't think about it and wasn't intentional.

Would you recommend burning in the Pros or simply keep using them? To my ear, the sound is great already.

I have found that the large Complys isolate best, despite all my other buds being medium. Could be I'm not inserting them right, so I'll keep testing with medium and large. I'll also test my collection of Sony and Monster buds as they all fit the R2s.

Sounded great right from the start for me too. So what's there to burn in? Just enjoy already!

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #2,093 of 3,098
I do enjoy them, no worries :)
The details are just fantastic. Found myself using them at 20% volume as no need to go higher to hear stuff I have never heard before in songs that I have listened to dozens of times. Usually I crank it up to 80% on other headphones when I listen to my fav rude genres (prog metal and Meshuggah, he he). These tiny things surely put my Sony MDR-1RBT Mk2 (wired) to shame in terms of clarity, space and everything else, really.

Tried silicon buds of all sorts, medium and large, Sony, Monster and Sennheiser, hybrid buds and bi/tri flange. Nothing cuts it because, as someone said a few pages back, it looks like the R2 was tuned for comply foams.

Looking forward to finding out how you guys go with custom ear buds. Happy to spend on those if it makes the R2s sound better and improve isolation.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #2,094 of 3,098
My concern with the Ostry OS200 tips is that, while the treble is excellent, the bass may be a bit artificial. It is producing the right quantity, perhaps a bit elevated. But whereas the Complys generate that quantity via a perfect seal for the R2PRO, the Ostry are using some other mechanism to boost up the bass. It may have something to do with restricted airflow through the tip; I am really not sure. It is pretty darn good but I am not convinced that it is as good.

Just some thoughts before the whole world buys them on false expectations. (Really for $12.95, it is a bit of a no-brainer.) They are very cool but I thinking that the Complys are king.

Still early days. Looking forward to James' impressions too.

I took some time until I finally found the time to try the Ostry tips, but tbh I don't feel I missed out on anything.

They sound actually pretty underwhelming, likely due to a questionable design that constricts >30% of their bore with a metal plate.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #2,095 of 3,098

I took some time until I finally found the time to try the Ostry tips, but tbh I don't feel I missed out on anything.

They sound actually pretty underwhelming, likely due to a questionable design that constricts >30% of their bore with a metal plate.

Yep, they are sitting in my drawer. I am Complys all the way now.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #2,096 of 3,098

I totally didn't realize that's what the Ostry tips were like. But I agree with your reasoning though. It seems to me that the Flares play better with wide-bore tips.

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2,097 of 3,098
maybe you need a pair with stronger teeth. Add braces for stronger dental correction. Possibly also sign up for dental insurance.

http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/ostry-os100-os200-os300-earphone-turning-tips.html
OS100: LF less, dental correction Medium
OS200: low volume foot, dental correction stronger
OS300: low-frequency volume, tone correction strong teeth

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,098 of 3,098
eb8f6f5ebc6a101f12ee720c438c026b.jpg
MF Doom never sounded better

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #2,099 of 3,098
Hi, Head Fi (after years of passive reading i've decided to join this cabaret of neurotic ears), hi thread!

I'm thinking about buying the R2a's (the "s" and the "pro" stand really far from my sad economy)  and i have a question which has been made before in this thread, in different ways, but after reading the 140 pages of this Flare's bible (i promise!!!) i haven't resolved yet because of mixed opinions. My concern is about the bass, it's midbass impact and the rumble roaring riot of the subbass. 

I have tons of vinyls, cd's, cassettes and terabytes of 320 and of all kinds of music from ambient to soukous, cumbia, 60's jazz, dub, kraut , electro or tarantella. I mean, i'm really eclectic and intense (about  8-10 hours listening per day for the last 20 years). That said, when i put my feet on the public transport i tend to calm my wishes of killing everyone mainly with techno and some other kind of hard hitting huge full sound bassy things that around this forum receive the name of EDM. My usual partners here are the Sennheiser hd25's and the Yamaha eph100. When i pick the iems, however, i miss clarity, detail, soundstage, precission. I like the yamahas, really, they're not bad, but i want more, much more. I love full 3d fleshy detailed non sibilant sound. And i'm poor.

So, i want to upgrade. I was drowning my self these days between (in oder of preference)  rha t20, altone 200, fidue a73, dunu dn1000,  and... then this  r2a's appeared. I fell in love with the form factor (love tiny iems, reason for nor being too happy about the other options) and the description of the sound looks promising. But i need a firm, explained answer about it´s bass capabilities (that electronic bass; i’m sure that Mingus will be great, that’s why i don’t ask about him). Is it close to the models i mentioned or you see it as a lighter signature?? Does anyone prefer clairly any of the other models for edm?

Will the r2a´s kick my hyphotalamus and create a bassground for the music when i'll need it? Are they more similar to the type of punchy sound i've known in the RHa's t10 (too much bass bloat for me)/Yamaha eph100 or are they more in the  classy family of the hifiman re600/vsonic gr07 (both great, but a little boring for me)?? 

For your reference, here are two productions/songs i normally use to test monitors or headphones i like (one with a fast 4x4 kick in a great soundstage, the other with a deeeep melodic subbass that must not interfere with the rest of the music):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtXgqUrXAiI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4plUKqJnuA

I have a vey smart, funny, beautiful (and yeah, not really got over it...) ex girlfriend that always answers to the daily question of "how are you" with something like "compared to what". Well, i don't consider myself a basshead, but compared to the tastes showed in general on head fi i'm beginning to think that maybe i'm not too far. Anyway, i've been educated with a freak hi-fier valves lover father obsessed with vocals and violins, so i tend to consider the midrange perfomance, the texture and grain of sound (which i search organic, vivid and airy),in pair with the bass. And i want both dimensions in a precisely positioned soundstage. Will the r2a solve it?...    So bassheads, audiophiles of anykind, generous souls...can anyone please help me?

And that's all my debut, hope didn't bleed too many words (my apologies, i suppose it was the nerves of the first time) and... Thanks in advance!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back