Flac problems
Sep 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bertrand33

New Head-Fier
I wonder if someone can help me with the problems I've been having with Flac files. Recently I joined the B&W Society of Sound, which offers Flac downloads by subscription. I can play these no problem on my computer, through my new B&W MM1s. I have two MP3 players, a Sansa Clipzip and a Hisound Studio, both of which can handle Flac. After I transfer the downloaded files to the players, I can play them through the computer. No problems so far. However, after either of the players is disconnected from the computer, the files don't play. The titles appear briefly in the display window, then they disappear without having emitted the slightest sound. This is annoying because I want to hear the files through headphones and through my lounge stereo system, using the MP3 player as a source.

This is driving me a little crazy. I have been in contact with support at both manufacturers, and both have done their best, but to no avail. I should mention that I first suspected that VLC media player may be to blame. I have used VLC as the Flac player on the computer, and thought that once the files were "tagged" as VLC-compatible files, that may make them incompatible with the portable players. However, deleting VLC and downloading a new Flac file made no difference. I have also downloaded a Flac file from eclassical.com, and this had the same problem. I would be grateful for any suggestions.  

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Foobar2000. I always found VLC to be picky with FLAC and I always liked fb2k

+1 Foobar2000
http://www.foobar2000.org/

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I wonder if someone can help me with the problems I've been having with Flac files. Recently I joined the B&W Society of Sound, which offers Flac downloads by subscription. I can play these no problem on my computer, through my new B&W MM1s. I have two MP3 players, a Sansa Clipzip and a Hisound Studio, both of which can handle Flac. After I transfer the downloaded files to the players, I can play them through the computer. No problems so far. However, after either of the players is disconnected from the computer, the files don't play. The titles appear briefly in the display window, then they disappear without having emitted the slightest sound. This is annoying because I want to hear the files through headphones and through my lounge stereo system, using the MP3 player as a source.

This is driving me a little crazy. I have been in contact with support at both manufacturers, and both have done their best, but to no avail. I should mention that I first suspected that VLC media player may be to blame. I have used VLC as the Flac player on the computer, and thought that once the files were "tagged" as VLC-compatible files, that may make them incompatible with the portable players. However, deleting VLC and downloading a new Flac file made no difference. I have also downloaded a Flac file from eclassical.com, and this had the same problem. I would be grateful for any suggestions.  

I'm assuming your downloading the audio files to the hard drive first.
Do you copy them over to the Clip Zip & Hisound or move them over?
"Titles appear in the display window" what is the "display window"?

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 8
I wonder what the actual bit rate is on those files you have downloaded? I know the studio v supports up to 24/48. So if your files are 24/96 or more they won't play.

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for your continuing help. Yes, I copy them from the hard drive, either by right click and "send to" or by drag-and-drop. By "display window" I mean the display on either of the portable players. I'm not sure about the bit rate, but the people at HiSound said that the B&W files should play. I also got a response from Sansa support. They spent quite some time with me on the telephone, but this puzzled them as well.

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Why not try an upload them the problem files so they can confirm it for themselves. See if you can verify the bit-rate of the song. I know mp3tag will tell you it when you drag and drop it to the program. So if anything try download that program unless you have something else that will tell you it. If it is 16/4400 then you should be fine and something else is causing the issues (maybe the tags). If it's above 24/4800 then that is what's causing your problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back