Fixup.net Modded SRF-S84 review vs. SRF-M35
Aug 26, 2003 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
Hello, all.

I foolishly sold my Fixup.net modded SRF-M35 a week or so ago with the promise of Sony SRF-M37V glory, since according to Dr. Xin Feng of Fixup.net, Sony had increased the values of the capacitors over the M35 to the proper values, etc., with the implication being that the sound would be better.

I sold my M35 here way too cheap, bought an SRF-M37V from Amazon, hated it, had Xin Feng finally get back to me to directly tell me he's not modding the M37V because they suck, returned it to Amazon and got a current "highly recommended" (by Dr. Feng) Modded SRF-S84. Here's what I hear...

[size=medium]Modded Sony SRF-S84 Pros & Cons:[/size]

[size=small]Reception:[/size]
Pros: the S84 has higher selectivity, and therefore can lock in stations a bit better with less "fussiness" about the orientation of your antenna (your headphone cord) or the unit itself. Cons: the higher selectivity means lower fidelity and this is noticeably the case with this unit. You get a rolled-off sound, far less of that gorgeous high-end sparkle, etc. You have to turn it up higher to hear M35-like detail, but you never really get there. (Furthermore, this ability to "lock stations in better" assumes you are precisely "hitting the spot" of the station frequency on the analog turn dial; this is hard to do in many cases.) Winner? Since I prefer sound quality and can deal with mild orientation adjustments, M35.

[size=small]Sound quality:[/size]
Pros: The sound has that general Fixup-modded'ness to it: in other words, nice and musical. The enhanced bass increases realism in a way. Cons: though the modded S84 kills the stock M37V, it does not reach the heights of the modded M35 in these areas: soundstage is relatively constricted, extreme highs (gorgeous, dynamic and real on the M35) are rolled, wooly and slow, vocals have less realism. AM radio is even more rolled off than usual, leading to a sibilant-free, wooly sound. Winner? M35 again.

[size=small]Bass:[/size]
Pros: The unit has a defeatable (thank God) "Mega Bass" feature, which I would never, ever use (as expected, it sounds like crap). However, in non-"Mega Bass" mode, there is more prominent, rich and pounding bass than the modded M35. As above, this leads to an increase in "chest" of voices and some forms of realism. (Note: this very much reminds me of the two types of realism presented by dynamic cans vs. electrostatics: dynamics give you the fully-chested, rich bass with plenty of amplitude, while electrostats give you that uber-refined extreme top end, both presenting aspects of realism in their own way. I happen to prefer the electrostatic sound, and that's what I use at home. To this end, I am instantly biased towards the relatively bass-thin but highly realistic mid- and high-end of the M35). I'll be the first to admit that I did derive occasional mild annoyance from the M35 due to "thinness" and the S84 all but fixes that. Cons: the significantly heavier bass may contribute to the rolled, heavier and less detailed sound. I cannot, however, say the S84's bass is as controlled as the M35's bass. Bass texture less detailed than M35. Winner in the bass category? Both: S84, because overall tonal balance is a bit more pleasingly balanced to what I imagine to be the average ear. In terms of sheer detail and realism of tone (my preference), M35.

[size=small]Size:[/size]
Pros: It is tiny and light, like a Zippo only...well...lighter (ha ha, no pun intended), therefore great for portable use. Probably a forth the size of the M35. Cons: none, in terms of size. Winner of this low-priority-for-me category: S84.

[size=small]Tuning:[/size]
Pros: (if you can call it that) you can fine-tune stations with the analog tuning dial (I had a hard time making this one up...I really don't care about it) Cons: (plenty) Cannot program stations for no-fuss, super-quick access to your favorite stations like M35 and no super-precise digital tuning. No clock. Winner?M35.

[size=small]Sensitivity switches:[/size]
Pros: the Stereo/Mono switch is awesome: it's actually useful for enhancing reception where bad reception is a problem. The M35's "DX/Local" switch was just about as useless as it gets: the only time it would "work" is if you were standing across the street from the darn transmitter. Cons: none. Winner? S84

[size=small]Distance reception:[/size]
Pros: it gets certain distant stations well enough, far better than the dodgy M35 reception on distant stations. Cons: none. Winner: S84.

I have to say that even though this receiver is less fussy with stations and reception, I really don't care, because I hate fooling around trying to find an "exact" lock on a frequency, especially when the only feedback acknoledgement you have is the sound.
I'd much rather have the digital tuning of the M35, where any hit in reception was worth the precision tuning, ease of use and convenience of the station preset memory.

Turning this dial is driving me crazy. I really don't like it, especially after being spoiled by the M35. My thumb aches, as I like to switch often. I now wish I hadn't sold the M35.

Everything is less realistic. In fact, I used to be able to hear how cheaply compressed the local hip hop/rap stations and pop stations were, now they sound "pleasing" relative to other stations. This may partially be because their main "exciting" element, namely the bass, has been elevated to higher prominence in the tonal balance, but it's also because the good-sounding stations have been mid-fi'ed down a notch or two.

One of the best sounding stations in town, the "easy listening" station, still sounds fine, but that wide, romantic, realistic soundstage has sucked in and the high-end extension has decreased.

The one "superior sound quality" bone I can throw the S84's way is that the solidity of imaging is mildly enhanced in a pleasing way. However, not so pleasing enough as to over-ride the rest of it's deficiencies in the face of the M35's competition. I would gladly sacrifice the useable distant station switch, slightly superior imaging and the selectivity for the better sound of the M35.

As you can tell, I am of two minds about this radio. Put it this way: a baseball player who hits the ball a few meters over the wall vs. one who hits it a few feet before the wall. That esential magic and heroism is, in the final, black-and-white cut, lacking. Though the M35 did have that hiss to blur details out a touch, low level detail was much better on it.

The decision between the two really depends on what you value. I mean, you fool around with the M35 (positioning the unit or the antenna just right) and you fool around just as much or more with the S84 (trying to get the damned tuner right on the spot, which apparently takes either skill or time...or both).

Bottom line: it's great, just not as great in absolute sound quality over the M35. If you would like to fuss less with reception troubles and would like to hear distant stations and don't mind switching to mono or screwing around with a stupid analog tuning dial, get the S84; it's awesome for those purposes.

Think of it this way: S84 = great Redbook CD playback (convenient, good enough sound), m35 = great vinyl (magically musical).

EDIT: I have to be perfectly fair and say that if you like pop music stations that are heavily compressed, bass boosted, etc. then this is the portable radio for you. They really slam on this radio and sound better/more euphonic overall, considering their shortcomings. And, of course, if you are an idiot and want mind-numbingly wooly, exaggerated bass, this is also the radio for you, owing to the Mega Bass switch.

The tiny form factor is starting to tickle my fancy, as well. So, I am realizing some benefits.

I paid $10 more for this over the SRF-M35 ($59.99 vs. $49.99) and while I wouldn't say this one is better, it does have certain nice things about it that I am beginning to really like. It's sound is close enough to the M35 and I do like that tiny form factor and light weight, so I'm sticking with it.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Regards,
Matt

Aug 26, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 16
nice review. thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by D555
A lot of M35's do turn up on ebay. Some retailers must have
some new-old-stock left.

...Paul, I am pretty sure I am going to keep the S84. After using it for a while longer now, even though the sound isn't better, I am acclamating to the tuning dial (which I don't love like the M35, but I now don't hate...so much). See revised review end above...

- Sir Mister Matt

Aug 27, 2003 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 16
...now I'm not so sure. I swear, I am back and forth with this thing every minute. I left it on all night last night and I didn't hear any huge increase in sound quality, however, the person is picking up about double the stations it was yesterday. I live in the Tampa Bay area and I am getting decent stereo reception of stations in Orlando, which is nearly a two hour drive away. Insane.

In any event, I am at least going to give this thing a week. It is a continuation of the eternal battle between absolute sound quality and features (in this case, tiny size, enhanced reception, etc.) I keep thinking that I'd rather go to a restaurant where they make insanely good food, but inconsistently, rather than a restaurant which serves consistently unmagical food.

- Matt

Aug 27, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 16
Hello,

Atmospheric conditons can greatly affect FM reception creating all sorts of long distance opportunities. When I lived in south central Georgia, these occasional events would enable me pick up stations in Atlanta and Orlando. Pretty wild -- but fun!

Best regards,

Paul

Sep 6, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 16
...I got my modded SRF-M35 back from puppyslugg who didn't like it because it didn't pull in station(s) he wanted.

I just want to confirm that everything said above is absolutely true, except for my dissing the M35 for not having an effective stereo/mono switch: the M35 actually auto-switches to mono in DX mode whenever the reception becomes too sub-par! I guess I just took this for granted before having to do it manually with the SRF-S84 switch...

Yes, the reception is worse overall, yes there is a bit of extra built-in hiss, and I don't get as many stations, but the highs are not rolled off, I am hearing rosiny violin timbre again, etc. The bass is weaker and less pronounced, as is the imaging. However, I would easily trade those off for what I've got: life, texture and just generally gorgeous, FM-redefining sound. Yay!

- Matt

Oct 28, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 16
I just received a fixup.net moded S84. I've only been listening to it for an hour, so these are just preliminary observations, but I must say that it is certainly quite amazing given its form factor -- I think it is the best super-small radio I've seen.

Oct 28, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 16
I've been using a fixup S84 for a month or two around campus, and I agree with Matt's review. It is certainly not the final word in terms of sound quality, however it's sound satisfies at, say, the level of my 505 MD player (it's not on the level of my D777, but what is?).

The size and convenience of this thing is what really turns me on.
cool.gif
I roll up my mx500's around it and throw it in my pocket all day. It's half the size of my cell phone for goodness sake!

Oct 29, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 16
I have the M37 everyone hates so much about.

Give this little guy a break. I think the added TV tuner and weather band is worth the upgrade.

In terms of sound quality and selectivity, I mostly listen to stations with strong signals, not that big of a deal.

For real radio listening, I have a top of the line Sony world band receiver.

Nov 3, 2003 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 16
id just like to put in my 2 cents: i cannot tell the difference between a fixup modded srf-59 and a stock srf-83... both sound pretty ordinary to me - with some kind of distortion or grainy treble or something - its not too bad, still listenable and acceptable, but big enough so that any minor differences between the modded and unmodded (not that there are any that i can determine...) will kinda be insignificant.

just to clarify this high frequency distortion or whatever it is is exactly the same on all stations - exactly the same on the modded and unmodded - and dosent seem to matter what the battery level is. but it is pretty minor, so its still listenable and it often takes me 5 mins after i start listening for it to become noticable.

Nov 3, 2003 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Musicfan123
I have the M37 everyone hates so much about.
In terms of sound quality and selectivity, I mostly listen to stations with strong signals, not that big of a deal.

Yeah, but do a direct comparison between a modded M35 and your stock M37. There's a huge difference. HUGE. Well worth the meagre cost of admission. I found an M35 unmodded for $20 on eBay and you can have Xin Feng fix it up for (I think) $15. $35 for this thing is an insane value.

- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back