Fixing akg k-240 sextett
Mar 16, 2011 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

omppupiiras

New Head-Fier
hello, new to the forum and not sure if this is right section...

so some days ago I bought these great phones cheap. seller said at there is major balance problem in them (right phone is almost muted, but still can hear something). I though that the problems is with connections so took a risk and bought them. Now I have pretty much ripped them apart, checked every solderings and measuret almost all possible thingys. everything looks good (i even soldered some joints again because they was poorly made.) No big differences in resistance between channels...

So are these really FUBAR or is there anything I can do? It's a shame since these a really nice phones, probably even better than my beyer dt-770, luckily only paid ~25euros for these.

How i could test if that right element is broken? I dont have any fancy signal generator/oscilloscope (well I do have oscilloscope at work, but im not sure about signal generator..)

Any ideas where i could buy one element, probably pretty hard to get since these have been discounted for like 30years now...

I have done some googling and seems like this is pretty common problem, and it looks like its almost always with right phone. hows that?

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 4
You cant buy new elements. 

To test them alligator clip from a 1/4" plug to the tabs on the elements and listen that way. 

A break (or all but a couple strands busted...) in the main cable will sometimes cause one channel to go quiet. Check that for resistance. Wiggle it around near the plug and headphone ends, those are the most common breakage points unless it has obviously been run over with a chair.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 4
heh i didnt meant "new" but replacement element =)

well i dont know what was wrong but now they are working, i re-soldered connections at right earcup and now they plays very well =)

...just need to get new earpads since there arent none. Any idea where i could buy a pair (cheap)? around 15€ + postage(10€) is cheapest i could find.

Lost one screw during process (well lol, there was 2 screws and i managed to lost other one..), hopefully I'll find it =(

Thanks anyway.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 4
You can try contacting your local AKG (not sure where you are in europe) and seeing if you can get pads direct. They shouldn't be very expensive; in the US they're maybe $20 for the pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back