Five-way Audio Technica IEM Review
Sep 1, 2015 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sacrifice13

100+ Head-Fier

So I have had a few AT iem's in my collection for a while now and I am pretty familiar with the different sound sigs so I thought I would do a short review of all my AT's. This review will include the:
-ATH-CKM500
-ATH-CKN70
-ATH-CKS77X
-ATH-IM50
-ATH-CKX9iS

All reviewing was done with an iPod classic
(PS - sorry about all the crappy pics - they were taken on my phone!)

I'll start with the oldest – the CKM500

Comfort (4/5)
The CKM500 is a half in-ear design that sits really nicely just inside the ear without going too deep. Like most AT's they aren't comfortable enough to forget they are in but they are very bearable.

Build (4/5)
Awesome build. All plastic by the look and feel of it but very high quality. My pair have been going strong for about three years and show no signs of deterioration. Cable has some microphonics but not a dealbreaker. Strangely, it comes with a 3.5mm extension cord which needs to be attached to reach the length of a normal headphone. This doesn't really bother me though.

Sound (3.5/5)
Bass – The bass on these is strong but not overly punchy. There is definitely more midbass than subbass, and it doesn't hit particularly hard. There is some subbass but it rolls off pretty early. It's more flabby than I would like, but it has good texture to it.

Mids – Lower mids are slightly muddied due to that midbass hump, however upper mids are accentuated and crisp, like most AT's. The mids do take a bit of a back seat behind the bass and treble but I wouldn't go as far as to say the sound is V-shaped.

Treble- Some reviews of this earphone mentioned a splashy treble however I find the treble well controlled, if a little bright. The slightly hot treble really helps to make music sound dynamic and alive.

I really enjoy the tone and balance of the CKM500, as it manages to make everything sound good, but doesn't excel at any one genre. My biggest issue with this phone is that it really struggles with instrument separation with metal/rock/alternative. Guitar sounds seem to blend together on these phones, which is where it really loses points.

CKN70

Comfort (5/5)
I could honestly wear these all day. So light I barely notice they are in. Enough said.

Build (3/5)
The housings themselves are super solid – no complaints there. But the cable is a super springy j-cord. It is just awful. A lot of microphonics. A shirt clip can help with this but it shouldn't be needed for a headphone at this price point.

Sound (4/5)
Bass – I think the bass on this phone is awesome. Probably the best of the bunch. It digs deep but is also really tight and hard-hitting. It also doesn't have the massive midbass hump that the CKM500 has. It's a very well balanced, tight, defined bass.

Mids- Extremely clear. Male vocals have a really rich warmth to them. Female vocals are emphasised – possibly a little too much, as there is occasional sibilance with higher pitched voices. Guitars have a gorgeous crunch to them.

Treble – A lot of people have issues with the treble on these phones. They are bright headphones that's for sure, with some harshness issues, but I think the treble is also one of their strengths. I find rock/metal particularly exciting with the CKN70 because it has a treble bite and extension that I haven't found with other headphones. For example, the Evanescence song 'My Heart is Broken' sounds muddy and dull with most of my headphones due to the really busy instrumental passages, but the CKN70 really brings it to life.

I adore this headphone for its slightly aggressive presentation, precision and tightness, however it loses a mark due to the fact that it only excels with certain genres/songs. For example, songs that are quite bright to begin with will sound too harsh on the CKN70. For rock/metal though, it's a winner.

CKS77X

Comfort (3.5/5)
These headphones have a strange design to them. Pushing them too far in will result in a muddy sound, so they have to sort of sit only just in the ear. Once a sweet spot is found they are quite comfy, but they need some fiddling. It doesn't help that they are really big as well.

Build (4.5/5)
Housings are built really well. They feel super solid with really high quality plastic and aluminium. They lose half a point for a slightly springy cable.

Sound (4/5)
Bass – Unsurprisingly the bass on these is massive. Unfortunately they have a pretty big midbass hump that muddies things up slightly, but the subbass is there and it's hard-hitting. These are really the definition of a 'fun' headphone. Not analytical in the slightest just massive overexaggerated (but very well done) bassy goodness.

Mids – I find the mids on these are actually pretty forward unlike a lot of bass phones. Male vocals are a bit too warm and veiled due to all the midbass interference, but again, upper mids (and female vocals) are accentuated.

Treble – The treble on these phones is very balanced with the mids. Very controlled up top. There is decent sparkle to them but I feel like they don't extend particularly high up.

These phones are going to excel at any bass-heavy genres. I feel they do particularly well with electro house but pop and R&B sound great too. Alternative, rock and metal are not really ideal due to the slightly veailed and muddy lower mids. Some might find these phones a bit too warm (not enough clarity) – but they work really well for the genres that they are intended for and they are definitely a bit of a guilty pleasure.

IM50

Comfort (4/5)
Some people have issue with the fit of these phones, however I find these sit very comfortably in the ear. My only issue is that occasionally they start to slip out if I move around too much, but it's easy enough to push them back in, it's just a bit annoying.

Build (3.5/5)
The housings seem solid enough. They are all plastic but a high quality plastic. The cable is awesome and it's detachable. Unfortunately the ends of the cable that plug into the housings are slightly loose on my set, meaning when I fit them in my ears the connections wiggle. I haven't had any channel imbalance or anything so hopefully it won't become an issue, but it would be good if they were more secure.

Sound (4/5)
Bass – Similar to the CKM500, the bass on the IM50 is rich with nice texture, but also a bit muddy/flabby. There is not a great deal of subbass so a lot of the thump comes from the midbass section.

Mids – The first thing I notice about the midrange on any headphone is the vocals, and the IM50 has some of the best vocals I've ever heard. Both male and female vocals are incredibly rich but also very clear. Unfortunately the warmth of this phone means that background instruments can become muddled which is, again, similar to the CKM500.

Treble – The treble of this phone is present, but takes a back seat behind the mids and bass. This can result in a lack of excitement in certain tracks.

Without a doubt, the strength of the IM50 is its immaculate presentation of vocals. Pop, acoustic and any other genres where vocals are the star will sound incredible with these. Where they suffer though is with genres where strong subbass is crucial (electro/dance) and where a bigger treble presence is required (rock/metal).

CKX9iS

Comfort (4/5)
When I first got these they felt very strange in my ear due to the c-tip, however once I got used to them they became very comfortable and probably the most stable in the ear of the bunch. Easy to move around in.

Build (4.5/5)
Really good build. The housings are slightly plasticky, which is the reason for the .5 deduction, bot overall very sturdy and the cable is excellent. It's a flat cable and I've had zero microphonics so far. I also have to mention this is the only phone of the bunch to come with a hard case which IMO should be a given for any phones over $50.

Sound (4.5/5)
Bass – These things pump out some serious bass, but unlike the CKS77X, the midbass and subbass is really well balanced. I don't know if I would go so far as to say these are a basshead iem, but they are definitely hard-hitting. There is some decay to the bass making it sound very slightly slow, but it definitely doesn't detract from the enjoyment.

Mids – Mids take a slight back seat behind the bass and treble on these phones. In comparison to the IM50, vocals sound flatter and not as exciting, however the separation of background instruments is superior on this phone.

Treble – Treble is pronounced on these phones, but never to the point of sibilance or harshness. I believe these phones have the best treble of the bunch due to the balance they strike between being too bright and too relaxed. Just a perfect amount of sparkle to me.

These rate higher than the other phones in sound because of the really exceptional balance they have. The bass is punchy but not overexaggerated, the mids aren't pushed back enough to sound v-shaped, but not too forward so as to sound muddy, and the treble has enough sparkle to make the sound very dynamic. The soundstage of these is also quite wide and deep.

Conclusion

CKM500
Pros: Jack of all trades
Cons: Master of none

CKN70
Pros: Extremely tight bass, detailed mids, exciting treble
Cons: Too harsh on some songs

CKS77X
Pros: Huge bass, sweet treble
Cons: Weird fit, slightly veiled and muddy in lower mids

IM50
Pros: Incredible vocals
Cons: Separation could be better, rolled off treble

CKX9iS
Pros: Great balance between all frequencies, wide soundstage, great all-round package
Cons: VERY slightly dull vocals  

I hope whoever reads this finds it interesting, and feel free to ask any questions!

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 8
  So I have had a few AT iem's in my collection for a while now and I am pretty familiar with the different sound sigs so I thought I would do a short review of all my AT's.

Great informative first post. Welcome and thanks!
smile_phones.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Yes, very nice!

I was pretty sure the CKX would win when I started reading :) Solid phone that gets little attention and sometimes drops to really good prices here in the US.

Does the CKS77X have a thick screen in the front of the nozzles? Always thought they might and they could be removed to give them some more air, clarity and help the balance a bit more.

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Yes, very nice!

I was pretty sure the CKX would win when I started reading :) Solid phone that gets little attention and sometimes drops to really good prices here in the US.

Does the CKS77X have a thick screen in the front of the nozzles? Always thought they might and they could be removed to give them some more air, clarity and help the balance a bit more.

They do have a filter on them. I have the original cks77 which I took the filter off. It did help balance the sound but it seemed to kill the soundstage for some reason, so I didn't bother with the new version.

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 8
"Five-Way Audio Technica IEM Review"

Dang!

I was looking for the new 5 driver AT IEM..... 
eek.gif

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 8
Nice and good writeup! I also have owned CKM500, CKN70 and IM50 + CKX5 and CKS77. Performance and wearing comfort are very similar between all off them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back