FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
Oct 16, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #1,113 of 4,896
Quote:
I've found that the biggest improvements come from upgrading the music files, and the DAC. A good amplifier will simply take that signal and make it louder.

Not necessarily eke. A good amp can add dynamics, transparency/resolving power, better separation, imaging and sound staging. The adding volume bit is way overrated and way over-simplified. Sounds like something the maker of the O2 would say. Example, my UHA6 MKII with Op-amp 209 is super transparent. You'll hear so much that it will show you digital artifacts from the conversion between analog to digital. Thus it's not my favorite Op-Amp. But there are clarity freaks out there who love all the warts in their music. If adding volume was just the case I'd still have my O2 amp and would have skipped the UHA6, T1 and Triad L3. The L3 is miles ahead of them all especially when you take dynamics and sounds staging into consideration. Dynamics being the most complicating to get right for audio equipment.

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #1,114 of 4,896
Quote:
Not necessarily eke. A good amp can add dynamics, transparency/resolving power, better separation, imaging and sound staging. The adding volume bit is way overrated and way over-simplified. Sounds like something the maker of the O2 would say. Example, my UHA6 MKII with Op-amp 209 is super transparent. You'll hear so much that it will show you digital artifacts from the conversion between analog to digital. Thus it's not my favorite Op-Amp. But there are clarity freaks out there who love all the warts in their music. If adding volume was just the case I'd still have my O2 amp and would have skipped the UHA6, T1 and Triad L3. The L3 is miles ahead of them all especially when you take dynamics and sounds staging into consideration. Dynamics being the most complicating to get right for audio equipment.

In my opinion your argument is debatable lee. There is no right or wrong answers. It's up to the listener's perspective.

Tip-rolling is tedious for me with 334. Decided to stick small stock tips. It gave me more airy sound, probably because it didn't seal properly.

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #1,115 of 4,896
Quote:
In my opinion your argument is debatable lee. There is no right or wrong answers. It's up to the listener's perspective.

Tip-rolling is tedious for me with 334. Decided to stick small stock tips. It gave me more airy sound, probably because it didn't seal properly.

True but I don't agree with saying an amp just adds volume sorry. That's just my opinion. There's more to it than that. I'll agree that is the most basic function of an amp however.

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #1,116 of 4,896

I still have not completely settled on tips. I switch out from Radio Shack Auvio tips and the stock doubles and singles. I get a vacuum seal from time to time and get annoyed with having to reseat them. I don't get it with stock singles but the singles don't really fit my right ear just right (medium too small and large too big and squishy). I've been sticking with the Auvio lately.

This is really the only complaint I have and otherwise I enjoy them immensely. So much so, I find it hard to dedicate time for writing a review. Instead I just tend to relax and enjoy the music.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #1,117 of 4,896
Sometimes I think being limited to Comply or the Shure Black Olives is a bit of a blessing, it certainly cuts down on the options I can try, if either of those don't work I just move on.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #1,118 of 4,896
Quote:
True but I don't agree with saying an amp just adds volume sorry. That's just my opinion. There's more to it than that. I'll agree that is the most basic function of an amp however.

Alright, let's just leave it at that for now.

Quote:
I still have not completely settled on tips. I switch out from Radio Shack Auvio tips and the stock doubles and singles. I get a vacuum seal from time to time and get annoyed with having to reseat them. I don't get it with stock singles but the singles don't really fit my right ear just right (medium too small and large too big and squishy). I've been sticking with the Auvio lately.
This is really the only complaint I have and otherwise I enjoy them immensely. So much so, I find it hard to dedicate time for writing a review. Instead I just tend to relax and enjoy the music.

Sounds like we have similar problems: vacuums seals. Very hard to find the right tips, I usually skip on comply but very tempted to try it on 334.

Hope you find the right tips for your ears Shane; that being said I agree that 334 is very relaxing!

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #1,119 of 4,896
Quote:

Probably as a result of better headroom and voltage control. 

Again,I won't make it seem like I'm an audio engineer. This is all just from experience.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #1,121 of 4,896
Quote:

I agree. I think that an amp's function is inherently simple. People, however, are excellent at over complicating things which may not necessarily be complicated to begin with. No disrespect to lee. It's all a part of being human.

So did I. Small stock tips. I do intend to try other tips, just haven't got around to it.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #1,122 of 4,896
Quote:
I agree. I think that an amp's function is inherently simple. People, however, are excellent at over complicating things which may not necessarily be complicated to begin with. No disrespect to lee. It's all a part of being human.

So did I. Small stock tips. I do intend to try other tips, just haven't got around to it.

The same thing can be said about oversimplifying things. We both agree to disagree.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #1,123 of 4,896
Quote:

I am using T-500 Complys. They do seal well and hold the shell in place 95% of the time. The nozzle is so wide that the form does not cover enough to mute the sound in my ear most of the time. Every once in a while, I push them in slightly and I can notice a difference in sound, it get's brighter and the bass becomes deeper.

I've tried the medium stock tips and it felt as if they were falling out. I tried the double flange and not sure if I like them. My canal started itching and I was reminded that when I used the 'tree' on my SE535s this would happen.

Like Shane "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" yet..........

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #1,124 of 4,896
Quote:
I am using T-500 Complys. They do seal well and hold the shell in place 95% of the time. The nozzle is so wide that the form does not cover enough to mute the sound in my ear most of the time. Every once in a while, I push them in slightly and I can notice a difference in sound, it get's brighter and the bass becomes deeper.

I've tried the medium stock tips and it felt as if they were falling out. I tried the double flange and not sure if I like them. My canal started itching and I was reminded that when I used the 'tree' on my SE535s this would happen.

Like Shane "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" yet..........

I get the best seal from the stock silicone, but once I find the sweetspot it seems to pop out again. This is becoming obsessive, I fiddle them around constantly. When they seal right they are just so amazingly good. My hd650 are getting dusty here.... I'm ordering some EQ7 tips today, hoping they will stick better in my ears, until then I will keep fiddeling and try to grow fatter ears.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,125 of 4,896
Quote:

The amp doesn't really do much, when you look at what the DAC does. The dac takes the bits and converts them to analog impulses, which is a pretty big deal. All the amp really does is just take those impulses and increase their amplitude, giving more power/headroom.

and in the process of amplifying the signals to give more power/headroom, they all come out sounding differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back