FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
Feb 11, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #3,271 of 4,896

Oh, right, my bad, I imediately thought phone-phone not ear-phone...dah.

@fiasco, regarding 'your' SONY's from the previous page. Are they as comfortable as the Ortofon's?  And what's the difference between those SONY's and the stock tips that come with the 334's?

Not quite as comfortable as the Ortofon's, but more comfortable than the Fitear stock's. I think the major difference is that the silicone is a little softer than the Fitear.   If you look at the profile, they are flatter (a more squat shape) from tip to base, like the Fitears.  I think the rounder shape of the Ortofon's is what makes them more comfortable, but again, I just don't really get a good seal unless I push them more deeply.  If I do that, then the sound changes significantly to me, but if I don't, then I lose some bass impact.  Ultimately, all our ear canals are different, and I figured that for $5 for 5 pair, the Sony's might be worth a try for you. And unless my Ortofon's from Musica Acoustics are not authentic,  the Ortofon bore size is definately smaller.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #3,272 of 4,896

Really? I have (real) Ortofon tips in front of me now....their inside bore diameter is the same as the TG-334 inside bore diameter. The Ortofon bore is a wee bit smaller than some typical single flanges but only "a smigin" to quote Obama..lol. Can't imagine how this would obstruct much since it's straight though - i.e., when you look in the eartip you can see right into the IEM with no restiction or narrowing.

Please provide more info about your "wide silicone tips that comes with the phones".....what phones?  Ortofon doesn't make phones.

can you post up pics of your ortofon tips?

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #3,273 of 4,896

Not quite as comfortable as the Ortofon's, but more comfortable than the Fitear stock's. I think the major difference is that the silicone is a little softer than the Fitear.   If you look at the profile, they are flatter (a more squat shape) from tip to base, like the Fitears.  I think the rounder shape of the Ortofon's is what makes them more comfortable, but again, I just don't really get a good seal unless I push them more deeply.  If I do that, then the sound changes significantly to me, but if I don't, then I lose some bass impact.  Ultimately, all our ear canals are different, and I figured that for $5 for 5 pair, the Sony's might be worth a try for you. And unless my Ortofon's from Musica Acoustics are not authentic,  the Ortofon bore size is definately smaller.

When I still have my TG!334 with Ortofon tips, the bore / stem or whatever you call it it definitely smaller than the stock FitEar tips.
I prefer the Ortofon tips than the stock tips coz they are softer, more comfortable and can give better seal than the stock.
I was using the L-size Ortofon though, while stock was M size

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #3,274 of 4,896
When I still have my TG!334 with Ortofon tips, the bore / stem or whatever you call it it definitely smaller than the stock FitEar tips.
I prefer the Ortofon tips than the stock tips coz they are softer, more comfortable and can give better seal than the stock.
I was using the L-size Ortofon though, while stock was M size

Makes sense, as I use the large Fitear, and would probably need an XL Ortofon to get the right fit. If only they made such a thing!

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #3,276 of 4,896
  From what I recall not only is the bore diameter larger on the stock tips, but also more shallow - it brings the drivers closer to your eardrums.

These Sony tips are the closest I've come to the stock tips.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #3,278 of 4,896
  just out of curiosity.. do those large connectors effect you being able to wear the iem's?

Not really, it's kind of like wearing cable with memory wire.  I don't notice them once I have them on (although the thickness of the cable felt a little different at first, thankfully they're quite supple).  I do, however, take more care putting them on, as I'm cautious about torquing the connector posts. Also, I wear these indoors and never for outdoor activities.  Don't mind though, as I never believed in the sound improvement cables make until I listened to the Parterre's with this.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #3,279 of 4,896
Quote:
Makes sense, as I use the large Fitear, and would probably need an XL Ortofon to get the right fit. If only they made such a thing!

Ortofon does not make anything larger than 'Large' unfortunately.

Quote:

I have some of fiasco's SONY Large tips incoming and will post up pics w/ the Ort's soon.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #3,280 of 4,896
Got my 000 Cable in today, imo its a big jump from the 001....i A/b'd the 000 to the BTG Starlight...i definitly prefer the 000

Bass is so much better with the 000 its tight, controlled and emphasized, soundstage is imo wider feels like you are getting a bigger picture, instrument separation is fantastic, 3d has a great realism, vocals are phenomenal. overall its a excellent cable... i got mine for 250.00 off here....440.00 retail imo is high..but the quality is excellent it does have excellent synergy with the 334.

i put the btg cable on my F111 it seems to pair very well.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #3,281 of 4,896
Cool!  Glad you like it.  I'm somewhat bummed my time w/ my 334s will be coming to an end (just over a year), apparently my custom Roxannes ship next week..

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #3,282 of 4,896

Here's the Ortofon's compared to the SONY's. Both are the 'Large' size.

SONY                   ORTOFON

I also made some measurements of the two:

SONY         ORTOFON                     
MAX DIA       .55                .50
HEIGHT         .32                .38
BORE DIA
BACKSIDE     .16                 .15
EARSIDE       .21                 .18

Results: The SONY is large in diameter but shorter in length. The Ortofon seals better inspite of it's smaller diameter because it sits deeper into my ear. The Ortofon is also more comfortable maybe because of it's shape. I get much better SQ from the Ortofon especially the dynamics from Rock drum kits (slam 'n' thwack).

Summary: I wish there was one size bigger Ortofon to try but it's actually about the same size as the SONY. The Ortofon has a unique shape that is much more comfortable and seals better than the 'bulb' shape of most eartips like the SONY.

Winner So Far: ORTOFON

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #3,283 of 4,896
Here's the Ortofon's compared to the SONY's. Both are the 'Large' size.

SONY                   ORTOFON

I also made some measurements of the two:

SONY         ORTOFON                     
MAX DIA       .55                .50
HEIGHT         .32                .38
BORE DIA
BACKSIDE     .16                 .15
EARSIDE       .21                 .18

Results: The SONY is large in diameter but shorter in length. The Ortofon seals better inspite of it's smaller diameter because it sits deeper into my ear. The Ortofon is also more comfortable maybe because of it's shape. I get much better SQ from the Ortofon especially the dynamics from Rock drum kits (slam 'n' thwack).

Summary: I wish there was one size bigger Ortofon to try but it's actually about the same size as the SONY. The Ortofon has a unique shape that is much more comfortable and seals better than the 'bulb' shape of most eartips like the SONY.

Winner So Far: ORTOFON

What Sony tip is that? It's not a hybrid.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #3,284 of 4,896
What Sony tip is that? It's not a hybrid.

No, not a Hybrid...they have a tiny bore, not good for FitEars (or Sennheisers, or 1p2's).

The SONY is this one (from fiascogarcias post on page 217):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-CLEAR-Replacement-EARBUD-Tips-for-SONY-in-ear-Earphone-/160717037754?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item256b7b60ba 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back