Fischer Audio Fa-003? (after d5k)
Apr 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Tamirci

Member of the Trade: mobileaudiophile
I currently have a d5000 which is still in the burn-in. According to my small time audience; d5k has all what you can expect. But nothing more. For eg. it does not have the bass like an ultrasone hifi 580 or the sparkling treble. Quiet calm frequencies all around. I hope it improves with an amp or dac/amp (for home usage)

Does the headphone in the tagline offer me what I seek, or do you think I have a better choice in the same price tag?

Or else I am going to sell my recently bought d5k

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 24
I have the HM5 (FA-003). If you are looking for strong(?) bass and sparkly treble...run far away, haha. They are quite neutral balance-wise and the treble is very smooth. Also quite laid back.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 24
The Brainwavz/Fischer can't hold a candle to the Denon's, which have a darkish tone signature. 

You apparently like bright, a "V" shaped EQ with heavy bass.  The open Beyer DT 990 Pro is probably the closest to your 580. 

That said--there is another poster who says that the 990 does not do it for him after the Ultrasone.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604307/need-help-choosing-hfi-580-upgrade#post_8283779

Maybe the two of you should have a chat.

Apr 6, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #6 of 24
Although I am a believer in burn in, I just don't see that you're gonna see a big change with the denon down the road. I agree with the above poster...they have a slight v curve and PLENTY of bass and a sparkle on the treble. They are a very musical and fun hp to listen to. 

I also own the dt990/600 version. I love this headphone but it's VERY different than the denon. It's open with good soundstage and nice instrument separation. It does has good bass for an open hp but nothing like the denon.

Burn the denon in and see if it changes for you. Let us know.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 24
I don't know about the Denon D5000's but the FA-003's/HM5's are VERY flexible.  You can get them to sound however you want.  They're pretty much 100% neutral and audio tracks with the sound signature you described is exactly what they end up sounding like.  Bass reproduction is of course more accurate with amplification and enjoyable with a little boost (like 3-6 dB or so), depending on the hardware/software. 

What's your sound source btw?  I mean, the D5000's, similar to the HM5's, I would imagine play more or less what you give them, and since you mentioned amplification, I'm guessing it's a laptop/some portable device?  You don't want that difference to be made up with unnaturally boosted bass and really should instead think of investing in an amp, especially for home use.

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 24
The D2000 has a "V' shaped EQ--not as much as the M50, but its mids are recessed and bass quite prominent without crossing into true basshead territory (although some bassheads may like it).

The D5000 does not have a "V' EQ.  It's not 100% neutral, but it's in the ballpark.  Between the two the D2000 has the most bass.

The 003/HM-5 are in a lower (not a swipe at them) class of cans than either of the Denons.  In turn the D5000 is in a class or two above the D2000, although they share the same drivers. 

The Ultrasone HiFi 580 is a basshead can.  The very good HiFi 780 and Pro 750 get you back toward neutral with a Grado-lite brightness plus some good (non-distorted or overly enhanced) bass.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
The D2000 has a "V' shaped EQ--not as much as the M50, but its mids are recessed and bass quite prominent without crossing into true basshead territory (although some bassheads may like it).

The D5000 does not have a "V' EQ.  It's not 100% neutral, but it's in the ballpark.  Between the two the D2000 has the most bass.

The 003/HM-5 are in a lower (not a swipe at them) class of cans than either of the Denons.  In turn the D5000 is in a class or two above the D2000, although they share the same drivers. 

The Ultrasone HiFi 580 is a basshead can.  The very good HiFi 780 and Pro 750 get you back toward neutral with a Grado-lite brightness plus some good (non-distorted or overly enhanced) bass.

Would you be able to compare sound wise what makes them in a lower class?  I mean, I get that they are, but why specifically?  The way you put it, it's pretty much only indicative in relation to price.

Looking around, I was seeing the D5000 as a really distant potential future upgrade/experiment.  Basically what I'm asking for is a comparison in respects other than EQ.  I'm guessing the HM5's are even more so neutral then the D5000's?  Might you have any input on this matter?

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:

Would you be able to compare sound wise what makes them in a lower class?  I mean, I get that they are, but why specifically?  The way you put it, it's pretty much only indicative in relation to price.

Looking around, I was seeing the D5000 as a really distant potential future upgrade/experiment.  Basically what I'm asking for is a comparison in respects other than EQ.  I'm guessing the HM5's are even more so neutral then the D5000's?  Might you have any input on this matter?

They lack frequency response, clarity and sound stage compared to the more expensive Ultrasones and Denons.  I also don't find them to be as musical.  They are near neutral.  But being a bit on the clinical side, they have little soul.  I'm not saying they are bad for $140 cans, especially with all the extras that come with them (the HM-5 at least).  However, they are not giant killers as some have touted them to be and they don't stack up to the better cans in higher price segments.

The D5000's have a dark and warm signature.  They make music, or at least the music I listen to, sound great (assuming it is well recorded at its source CD, vinyl, digital file, etc.)

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 24

Quote:

They lack frequency response, clarity and sound stage compared to the more expensive Ultrasones and Denons.  I also don't find them to be as musical.  They are near neutral.  But being a bit on the clinical side, they have little soul.  I'm not saying they are bad for $140 cans, especially with all the extras that come with them (the HM-5 at least).  However, they are not giant killers as some have touted them to be and they don't stack up to the better cans in higher price segments.

The D5000's have a dark and warm signature.  They make music, or at least the music I listen to, sound great (assuming it is well recorded at its source CD, vinyl, digital file, etc.)

I can't comment on the technical front because somehow in comparison the HM5's can very well be lacking in frequency response, clarity, and/or soundstage.  I can't imagine how though unless there's even further extension in the bass on the D5000's, but in terms of the characteristics you ascribed to them, I would simply disagree.  I hate that clinical (forced neutrality I call it) kind of sound.  These I would simply call unbiased.  They are neither warm nor cold.  The reason I was in fact considering Denon's in the future is because for general listening purposes, I may prefer a little coloring in tone on the warmer sound (woody) which I've heard they have.  Coming across multiple descriptions of them having a slightly dark sound deters me though...

That being said, for mixing, unless really to any degree larger in soundstage/separation, the FA-003's/HM5's would still be the way to go.  You also mentioned that even the D5000's still have a slight v-shape so that also makes it worse in that sense, although if slight, another reason I may prefer them for casual listening.

I'd also like to just simply point out that $140 is MSRP.  I've already gotten a pair for $110, two for $100, and five for $95, lol. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:

I can't comment on the technical front because somehow in comparison the HM5's can very well be lacking in frequency response, clarity, and/or soundstage.  I can't imagine how though unless there's even further extension in the bass on the D5000's, but in terms of the characteristics you ascribed to them, I would simply disagree.  I hate that clinical (forced neutrality I call it) kind of sound.  These I would simply call unbiased.  They are neither warm nor cold.  The reason I was in fact considering Denon's in the future is because for general listening purposes, I may prefer a little coloring in tone on the warmer sound (woody) which I've heard they have.  Coming across multiple descriptions of them having a slightly dark sound deters me though...

That being said, for mixing, unless really to any degree larger in soundstage/separation, the FA-003's/HM5's would still be the way to go.  You also mentioned that even the D5000's still have a slight v-shape so that also makes it worse in that sense, although if slight, another reason I may prefer them for casual listening.

I'd also like to just simply point out that $140 is MSRP.  I've already gotten a pair for $110, two for $100, and five for $95, lol. 

No--I said that the D5000 does not have the "V" shape EQ.  It is the D2000 that has that to some degree.

BTW--not all neutral sounding cans can be described as "clinical".  While there may be overlap, they are not the same thing.

Glad you got some good prices.  I got my HM-5 for $120, but they are now $140 at Amazon through MP4Nation.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #14 of 24

Quote:

Do not confuse clarity in this case, with clinical-sounding.

Clarity refers to the headphone sound presentation having a higher resolution of sound thus not "smudging" over micro-details that headphones with inferior drivers would not at all reveal. It is a physical trait of the headphone drivers that has nothing to do with sound signature.

Clinical-sounding is a frequency response signature whereby you have recessed mids and emphasized mid-treble.

They could co-exist of course, but they are different properties.

Take 2 of my headphones for example:

My Hifiman HE400's sound well-rounded, with a slightly dark (in freq response) treble and balanced mids. Overall terrifically balanced-sounding.
My Audio Technica M50's sound clinical, with many energetic treble spikes, and recessed middle mids. Overall clinical.

While the M50's treble sounds cold, strong, and sibilant, it has not NEARLY the amount of treble details compared to the HE400's, even though the latter's treble is very smooth and non-fatiguing.

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:

No--I said that the D5000 does not have the "V" shape EQ.  It is the D2000 that has that to some degree.

BTW--not all neutral sounding cans can be described as "clinical".  While there may be overlap, they are not the same thing.

Glad you got some good prices.  I got my HM-5 for $120, but they are now $140 at Amazon through MP4Nation.

Wait, I'm confused...  That was exactly my point.  That I hate those "neutral" cans which result in a clinical sound due to them forcing their sound signature (or in other words what Jerg is talking about below).  Whereas you were saying the HM5's were a little like that, I was saying that they weren't.  Obviously I don't think that neutral and clinical re interchangeable terms or however you wanna put it. 

And you said the D2000 have a V-shaped EQ while the D5000 don't although still not 100%.  I just translated that into the D5000's being a little bit so, but I mean, that's besides the point...

Quote:

Do not confuse clarity in this case, with clinical-sounding.

Clarity refers to the headphone sound presentation having a higher resolution of sound thus not "smudging" over micro-details that headphones with inferior drivers would not at all reveal. It is a physical trait of the headphone drivers that has nothing to do with sound signature.

Clinical-sounding is a frequency response signature whereby you have recessed mids and emphasized mid-treble.

They could co-exist of course, but they are different properties.

Take 2 of my headphones for example:

My Hifiman HE400's sound well-rounded, with a slightly dark (in freq response) treble and balanced mids. Overall terrifically balanced-sounding.
My Audio Technica M50's sound clinical, with many energetic treble spikes, and recessed middle mids. Overall clinical.

While the M50's treble sounds cold, strong, and sibilant, it has not NEARLY the amount of treble details compared to the HE400's, even though the latter's treble is very smooth and non-fatiguing.

Where did I confuse this fact?  There must be some misunderstanding.  I know and understand the things you mentioned and, if I had to, that's pretty much exactly how I'd put it.  Thanks for the input though; confirmation for my thoughts/rationalization is never bad XD

I also want to thank you so much for mentioning that about the M50's.  That is also EXACTLY what I was thinking and I wanted to bring them up as an example but didn't wanna get bashed.  You hit the nail on the head in terms of the description.  I really dislike them personally... 

This is why I was gunna say: THE M50's are clinical sounding which is the reason I went out for a hunt for another pair of headphones.  The HM5's came along and they were the solution.  They do not sound like that at all and that's what I was disagreeing with, with KG Jag. 

Maybe the D5000 have a warmer tone or whatever but that doesn't make the HM5's the opposite.  As I said, everything about them is dead neutral but at the same time they're very flexible and don't force things to sound a certain way, flat or whatever.  If you're playing a warmer sounding track, you will feel that.  Same goes for the opposite like Metallica... 

Keep in mind that this is after burn-in.  They need to be burned in because in the beginning, in that first day I got them before I had them playing for nights, I might've actually agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back